• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Quick "Dirty Sisters" Hill Country Trip

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
We headed out to Junction Friday night. Had dinner at Isaack Restaurant which seems to have become our standard.

Our standard KSA meet spot in Junction is always Donut Palace on Main street. The family that runs Donut Palace are fantastic humans. They have a lot more to choose from for breakfast than most donut shops. That includes biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. Breakfast burritos are gigantic. The jalapeño Biscuit breakfast sandwiches are my personal favorite.

We did the southern TAR route plus some on Saturday. 260 miles total (with Garvin Store thrown in). Below is just a quick highlight reel and a few photos from our day.

The weather forecasts had Saturday looking like a perfect day. Sunshine and no rain. It ended up being cold, misty and drizzled all day. That kind is mist that just sticks to your visor. Still, we were not discourage. The rain from the prior days had everything nicely packed. There was no dust at all anywhere on our route.

I lead the group. Three total including me. They had never done the TAR loop before. They never did cattle bump gates and had only very limited experience crossing creeks. Both are experienced trail riders so they picked everything up just fine.

Most of the creek crossings were low. They were still fun. The only off was a minor one on one of the crossings between Rock Springs & Campwood. You can see that one in the distance on the video below. I almost went down on one of the crossings between Junction and Rock Springs. I am still batting 1000 on the 790 by not having dropped it yet. [looking for wood to knock on.]

We had lunch at Canyon Grill & BBQ in Campwood. We had never been there before. It was pretty good. Not great.

At Campwood everyone declined getting gas bragging about how good their mileage is and how big their tanks are. By the time we got to 336 & 41, I decided we needed to take a detour to Garvin Store amid protest from the guys. One was going to end up really close to empty and the other's fuel gauge wasn't working. I decided it is better to be safe than sorry. Advice to every adventure rider. Fill up every stop especially if it is a route you have never done. No one is impressed if you manage to finish the ride without getting gas! No one cares! They will definitely care when you hold the group up running out of gas.

Back in Junction Saturday night we decided to have dinner at the Milky Way. It is a Burger/ Shake shack across from Isaac's. Not the best food in the world but the staff were simply amazing and so friendly we want to come back and support them. The one thing thing there that was amazing was their apple crisp cobbler hot with a scoop of ice cream.

DAZV6974.JPG

FWTF7211.JPG

GAOO3056.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

KEGA4631.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_E2674.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like the location of Two Fat Guys BBQ. They had really good pork ribs.
The last time I went to Two Fat Guys they were off 337 just a bit out of town. This one is pretty much right across the street from the Shamrock. You are right! Two Fat Guys had awesome BBQ. They even sat with us and chatted us up.

"... Advice to every adventure rider. Fill up every stop..."

I work out west. We say, "We pass gas, but not gas stations."

For a few months after my buddy got a giant tank for his old BMW, he ran out of gas on every ride.
People are so very human.

L
@Hail do you have a GPX file for the Dirty Sisters by chance? Thanks
i do but getting permissions from the original creator since he does paid rally’s and tours with that route. …though I have made a few changes and corrections myself.

With Richard’s blessing I have posted the GPX tracks on the GPX tracks sub forum. Link below.

Back