• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rain Gear

Frog Toggs are ok in light rain but if its driving rain, it will find its way through. I have some rain pants and a jacket from a hunting company call Kuiu. I've ridden in it when it was raining so hard that cars were pulling over and stopping. It is the best I've found at keeping you dry but it's way too expensive. I still use the Kuiu pants but recently bought a Revit rain jacket because I hate having a hood on my rain jacket and don't wan to mess up my hunting jacket. I'm not sure how good the Revit is yet. If I were starting form scratch again, I think I would order the Nelson Rigg rain gear.

I heard someone say something about wicking gear. There's nothing that beats wicking gear (Under Armor type) for giving you a horrible stench you can't wash out! The material has an amazing ability to keep bacteria alive even after washing and drying. If you are going on a multi-day trip do yourself a favor and leave that stuff at home. Most of the gear they make for wearing under your Gi in jiujitsu is made from the wicking material and I've quickly realized it's near impossible to get the smell out of that stuff. I only wear stuff with natural anti-microbial properties such as merino wool and cotton when I ride!

I heard someone say something about wicking gear. There's nothing that beats wicking gear (Under Armor type) for giving you a horrible stench you can't wash out! The material has an amazing ability to keep bacteria alive even after washing and drying. If you are going on a multi-day trip do yourself a favor and leave that stuff at home.
That might be the case with Under Armor, but it's certainly not the case with LD Comfort. I've done 36+ hours in one set of these, rinsed it in the shower/tub, and it was good to go for the next day. And I've done countless 24 hour days with the same results.

For folks reading the above good suggestions one thing to keep in mind when looking for advice is your annual motorcycle mileage and budget.

I read a statistic on the internet (must be true šŸ˜‚) Most riders annual mileage is around 2000-7000 per year. If you are in that category almost any rain type product will be effective and should last you 2-5 years.

Folks that do 8000-15,000 per year will find investing more money in quality gear might be on the radar for the durability factor. The old saying ā€œbuy cheap several times, buy quality onceā€ these higher mileage riders have discovered that saying to be true.

Most Folks who ride 18k plus miles a year have probably already settled on the system that works for them. Higher mileage riders factor in convenience, comfort and durability in the purchase of quality riding gear.

For sure. I've been wearing the same Klim Badlands jacket and Latitude pants for many many years now (6 or 7?) and they're starting to show their age. Good gear is 100% worth the price.

Edit: Judging by the number of bikes I see for sale with low mileage I have a hard time believing most riders ride anywhere near 7000 miles in a year.

Frog Toggs are ok in light rain but if its driving rain, it will find its way through.

Probably. I think the reason I had good luck with it is because I used it as a liner. I've used the rain liner out of Olympia pants as an overpant before and had similar issues with it leaking. The same liner doesn't leak at all when used as a liner as it was intended.

My guess is these fabrics weren't designed for the head pressure seen on a motorcycle without a layer between them and the rain.

Last edited:
Back