• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Regency Suspension Bridge

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Borders
Bridges seem to hold a certain fascination for some folks and I guess I fall into that group. My first bridge hunt was for the Carpenter's Bluff bridge on the Red River. For some time now, I've wanted to see the Regency suspension bridge west of Goldthwaite.

Last week, on the spur of the moment I decided to go.
Notable (fun) roads on my route included FM 916 from Mayperl to Rio Vista, FM 2005 from Hamilton to Goldthwaite and the loop starting and ending in Goldthwaite: 16 (south), FM500 (north & west), 45 (north), FM574 (east).

From Goldthwaite, head south on Hwy 16, you'll reach FM 500 just before you reach San Saba. Turn northwest through ranch country about 14 - 15 miles from the turnoff from Hwy 16. A large sign directs you to the right (north) onto a rock road that leads about a half mile to the bridge. The road has some tight turns and one fairly steep downhill ending in a sharp turn.
IMG_0025s.jpg

Dual sports should do OK, but sport tires and steering geometery require caution, keep speed down, use engine braking, and go very easy on steering, brake, and throttle inputs.
Here's what you will find:
IMG_0026s.jpg

It's a single lane and has a wooden plank deck:
IMG_0027.jpg

The Colorado River is about 75 feet below:
IMG_0028s.jpg

North side of the bridge:
IMG_0029as.jpg

(The only paved roadway are the approaches to the bridge.) From here there are two rock roads, one heading north about 4 miles to FM574, the other heads northeast about 6.5 miles to FM 574. Since I wasn't riding a DS,I chose the short route back south to FM500 and turned west to FM45 then east on FM574 back to Goldthwaite.
From Garland, the ride took about 10 hours with only three very short stops.

Hope you enjoy your ride!
Paul b.

Last edited:
:tab Man! We were just out there after the Oct Pie Run! Wish I had known about that so I could have dragged all the street bikes down that gravel road :-P That really is kind of out there in the middle of nowhwere...

That would be a great area to explore on the right bike with the right tires (not BT020's). Lots of unpaved roads. I suspect you would have had several upset folks with rash on them and their bikes. Or you would have been bored going so slow. :-D

Paul b.

You didnt happen to be standing on it when a car crossed it did you? The bridge planking rolls ahead of the car like an ocean swell. Really feels weird. I had a turkey fly across the gravel portion of that road just in front of me, goldwings dont handle swerving well on dirt.

Last edited:
perterra,
There was no one around when I was there. I rode across on my bike and didn't notice anything unusual, but then that's quite a bit less weight than a car.

You're the only other person I know of who's been there.

I can't believe you took a 'wing on those rock roads. My bike is probably 300lbs lighter and I was sweating it. It did plenty of swerving on its own. As an ex-dirt bike rider I was embarrased putting along at 10 mph with both feet down :oops:

Paul b.

Paul, We were on our way back from Big Bend with a group of 14 bikes. We split in Kerrville with some going home and three of us spending the weekend riding the 3's. I led another Wing and an Intruder to it. I didnt have my GPS on my wing and a buddy who has an 1800 had his detailed to that area. I told him to lead us out. He drove us out towards the community of Regency. We road about 15 more miles of dirt at 15 miles per hour, done 2 up the whole way. We got to Goldthwaite after about an hour of riding. He was sure cussing his Garmin, said he didnt know goat trails were listed. It was fun, just kind of drained you.

The Wing jumps around pretty bad on those roads. I kind of just give it its head and let it lead the way. Feels worse than it is.

And by the way, I'm jones'n for a dual sport in the worst way.

Last edited:
Jing said:

I've been there - the "no pedestrians/bicycles/motorcycles under 250cc" sign in your pictures is new. If anyone goes, do take the extra time to also ride across the 47 year older suspension bridge just down the road in San Saba as well. These are the only two suspension bridges (as most folks define them) in Texas that still carry motor vehicle traffic.

Tom

Tom, I didnt know about that one. Is it on 190? I plan on running out to Menard (mission ruins) sometime in the next few months and will go by that one.

ColGoodnight said:
I've been there - the "no pedestrians/bicycles/motorcycles under 250cc" sign in your pictures is new. If anyone goes, do take the extra time to also ride across the 47 year older suspension bridge just down the road in San Saba as well. These are the only two suspension bridges (as most folks define them) in Texas that still carry motor vehicle traffic.

Tom

The sign says no motor-driven cycles. Is that defined by less than 250ccs? Never heard that.

Anyway, made it out there today but missed your post about the Beveridge Bridge. Another time perhaps. Thats a very cool view from atop the bridge looking down.

Did you see those massive cotter pins at the suspension anchor? Very cool area. Was thinking the scenery wasn't all that great out there until I reached the Colorado River. Well worth the trip.

I reached the bridge from the south side, so only had about a mile of rock road. With enough speed it wasn't a problem, but that washboard effect was a bit rough.

On a Tiger you should have ridden out the northern side. It would have been more fun than doing it on a wing.

Glad you liked it, that makes four of us now (at least).
Yeah, you should have gone out to the north or northeast. You definitely had the right ride for it. Wish I was tall enough for a Tiger, I like 'em.

Paul b.

whoa said:
The sign says no motor-driven cycles. Is that defined by less than 250ccs?
Yeah, in Texas. It usually only comes up in the 15 y.o. restricted motorcycle license thing. I don't know what they're getting at with the sign on the bridge but I bet there's nobody to stop you riding the Regency on a DR200SE. :)

Tom

The sign is on the north end of the bridge for the southbound 'traffic' to see. That would be locals or vehicles coming down 3 or 6.5 miles of rock road from the paved road to the north. There is no sign on the south end of the bridge, which is .5 to 1 mile from the paved road. Maybe it was stolen, but, if so, they got the post, too. Must be those danged Chinese & eye-talian scooters .......... yeah, that's it.
The only other places I've seen that sign are on major freeways and toll roads.

Paul b.

Jing said:
The sign is on the north end of the bridge for the southbound 'traffic' to see. That would be locals or vehicles coming down 3 or 6.5 miles of rock road from the paved road to the north. There is no sign on the south end of the bridge, which is .5 to 1 mile from the paved road. Maybe it was stolen, but, if so, they got the post, too. Must be those danged Chinese & eye-talian scooters .......... yeah, that's it.
The only other places I've seen that sign are on major freeways and toll roads.

Paul b.

Only 6 1/2 miles:ponder: it sure felt longer.:lol2:

perterra said:
Tom, I didnt know about that one. Is it on 190? I plan on running out to Menard (mission ruins) sometime in the next few months and will go by that one.

Here are the official directions to the Beveridge Suspension Bridge in (near) San Saba:
"North on 9th Street, down to China Berry Road (by the railroad tracks) take a left (becomes CR200) and go out about two miles and you see the Wedding Oak and about 1 more mile further to Beveridge Bridge."

Just past the Wedding Oak! :)

The Texas DOT says:
"Beveridge Bridge at San Saba River in San Saba County, a 140-ft., parallel wire suspension bridge. A construction project to bypass the suspension bridge has been let to contract, and design work is underway to restore and re-cable the historic bridge on site."

It's future seems secure.

Scoot safe,
Tom

Only 6 1/2 miles it sure felt longer.
If you took it easy and rode between 5 & 10 mph, it would take an hour. An hour on a squirming 'wing or any bike with a lot of plastic would seem like a long time. :pray:

Paul b.

The "other" suspension bridge is the Beveridge Bridge located NW of San Saba. To get there go north on the street between the Super S grocery and the convienance store. Travel north approx 2 city blocks to China Creek road and turn left (west). Follow China Creek for approximately 3/4 mile to the "Wedding Oak" (a large oak tree and a popular site for wedding ceremonies in the 1900's). The Beveridge bridge is due north approximately 1/4 mile. i visited on 12/31/05 and at that time the bridge was impassable/under renovation, however, a concrete bridge has been placed adjacent thereto and you can view the work progress on the Beveridge bridge from that location.

You were just out there and got no pics?! :shrug: Please tell us your camera was broken :lol2:

Nope, I caged it to the bridge with my wife and daughter and forgot the camera at the camp! I deer hunt near San Saba and have an opportunity to visit this area several times each year - never have brought the V-Strom but would like to. Pictures next time.
Also visited Fredricksberg while in the area and drove thru the Willow City Loop. Gotta get the scoot out to CenTex this spring!

There is another bridge west of the one in Regency. It is about the same distace west of 283 as the Regency bridge is east. It is the The Waldrip Bridge in Coleman County. It is closed off at both ends and takes a little doing to get through to the road deck.
waldripbridge.JPG

Jing said:

I've been there a few time, but it is a pretty easy get to from Austin.

Oddly, I drove there to bungie jump off of it in 1989 when I lived in Dallas (and when bungie jumping was 'the thing').

Finally got to go to the Regency bridge yesterday (06/04/06), from FW. What a fun ride, and what a sight!
I rode in from the north on my Intruder 1400. Wow! That was an adventure in itself! The "washboard" is terrible! I would definitely approach from the south next time.
Does a Strom handle that type of road better, or do you have to go a step further to gain a dirt/gravel/rough handling advantage?

Also, I did not see the no cycles sign, and I parked there to eat, drink, take pics. There was only a 5,000 pound weight limit sign at that spot, so I rode across, taking one picture from the middle.

My wife thinks I am crazy to think that was fun.

kman458 said:
There is another bridge west of the one in Regency. It is about the same distace west of 283 as the Regency bridge is east. It is the The Waldrip Bridge in Coleman County. It is closed off at both ends and takes a little doing to get through to the road deck.

Mmmmmm .... roadtrip

I just checked my Garmin GPS software. Do you know it is Beasley or Keys Crossing?

Beasley Crossing is north of Milburn
Keys Crossing is south of Indian Creek

Both are on the Colorado.

Back