• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Regency Suspension Bridge

How funny...just before checking the site I had just finished laying out my route in MS S&T from Round Rock to the Colorado River bridge outside of Regency! Good info here on the roads--thanks to all that posted.

I'm planning to leave at 7:00 Saturday morning if anyone wants to tag along. I'll be stopping for a BBQ lunch at Cooper's in Llano after the bridge, then swing by Enchanted Rock before heading back toward Marble Falls and home.

I've attached a pic of the map for anyone that's interested. I you want the file, PM me with an email address and I'll send it.

Attachments

• regency-bridge-map.jpg
    regency-bridge-map.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 259
Teeds said:
Mmmmmm .... roadtrip

I just checked my Garmin GPS software. Do you know it is Beasley or Keys Crossing?

Beasley Crossing is north of Milburn
Keys Crossing is south of Indian Creek

Both are on the Colorado.
Sorry but I have not checked with this thread in awhile. It is neather Keys or Beasley crossings as they are east of Hwy 377 and the Waldrop bridge is west of Hwy 283. It is where CR 220 crosses the river outside of Rockwood. We heard about it on an episode of Hill Country Reporter.

My gps map shows it at:
N 31 27.790
W 99 25.315

kman458 said:
Sorry but I have not checked with this thread in awhile. It is neather Keys or Beasley crossings as they are east of Hwy 377 and the Waldrop bridge is west of Hwy 283. It is where CR 220 crosses the river outside of Rockwood. We heard about it on an episode of Hill Country Reporter.

My gps map shows it at:
N 31 27.790
W 99 25.315

I just added it to my GPS Waypoint list along with a number of crossings and bridges upstream of there.

Thanks!!

I have a good friend that heads up the bridge restoration program for TexDOT. I think I will send her a note about this forum. She might be able to shed some light onto other bridges and crossings.

Teeds said:
I just added it to my GPS Waypoint list along with a number of crossings and bridges upstream of there.

Thanks!!

I have a good friend that heads up the bridge restoration program for TexDOT. I think I will send her a note about this forum. She might be able to shed some light onto other bridges and crossings.
That would be cool. I wish I had gps points for several other bridges we have come across in our wonderings. We were by the cut off for the Regency bridge on Friday but have not been to the bridge in years. Both of these briges are close enough to us to go visit more often.

Here is a news story about the road that goes to the bridge.

Tuesday, April 9, 2002

Commissioners won’t close County Road 220

By Billie Mercer
Reporter-News Correspondent

COLEMAN — Coleman County commissioners voted Monday not to close County Road 220 in southern Coleman County.

The commissioners heard arguments Monday for closing the road and for keeping it open.

The road leads to the old Waldrip Bridge over the Colorado River, which has been closed by Coleman and McCulloch counties because of its poor condition.

Coleman Attorney Paul Jensen, speaking personally and on behalf of several residents, asked that the road be closed.

However, Faye Wise, along with Minnie Bray and Claudia Rutherford, all county residents, spoke against closing the road. Wise presented a petition with about 40 names asking that it not be closed.

The petition asked commissioners to keep the road open until the Texas Department of Transportation evaluates whether the bridge can be repaired.

County Judge Jimmie Hobbs read a letter from Jack and Le Ann Boyd asking that the portion of the road that runs through their property be closed.

The Boyds wrote that since the bridge was closed their property has been used as a dumping ground for trash. People drive to the end of the road to drink, and they often throw beer bottles on the Boyds’ property or into the river.

Commissioners voted unanimously not to close the road. However, the topic can be placed on the agenda for a future meeting.

We were out in that area (in the car) last week, so I took my mom by to see the Regency bridge (about 5PM on Tuesday.)
I was a little surprised that in the few minutes we were there, one small car and three full size pickups crossed the bridge (all seemed like locals just coming and going.)
Apparently the bridge really gets some use. Also, I expected it to deflect a lot more under the weight of a truck - it was barely noticeable.

Back