• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reminder of a known fact

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Anyone that rides offroad knows it's rider way more than bike! Yesterday rode with a good group, 3 -25 to 35 years younger and one a couple of years older, lol! Dad to 2 of the young guys. The young guys were on a 2015 Husky FE350(the street legal from factory), 2021 KTM 500EKC(unplugged, but not running just right and not his bike), and a guy on one of my old bikes, 2014 KTM 250 xc-w(unknown hours but a lot). Now us old guys were on great new bikes my 2022 CRF 450(way too much bike for Cycleland, lol) and he on a 2021 KTM 300 Erzberg special edition.

In 2-3 turns these fellows were gone! Another myth gone 2, these plated bikes from the factory 350/500 run just fine and can be raced! The 500 needs stiffer springs and he was finding the limits but power is still plenty!
And the rain on Thanksgiving made for perfecto conditions!

I just had the conversation about exc vs xc and if you really need the uncorked version or ECU flashed. I agree there is a difference in power but is it really usable? Can most of us even get close to using the available power?

Good story and one that all of us should remember. Instead of spending big money on the latest pipe or duhickus, practice.

Years ago I went riding in the Phoenix desert on a very tight technical single track that the racers practiced on. There were about twelve of us which included the Dircks brothers, both nationally ranked pros, the #5 ranked Arizona desert racer and then 3/4 of us expert level guys and the rest weekenders. The Dirks brothers were on Honda XR250s! When we took off they were gone! Full throttle all the time. Hitting stuff we would back off of. That's the difference between them and us!!

I just had the conversation about exc vs xc and if you really need the uncorked version or ECU flashed. I agree there is a difference in power but is it really usable? Can most of us even get close to using the available power?
Those EXC's might be better for us like they sit.

Back