• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding the Passes around Ouray, Co., 7/29 - 8/3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take lots of pics. I'd like to do this ride sometime, but not prepared for this one.

Unfortunately..... I'm out. As feared, work got a bit crazy and I need to be on site next week so my plan to work remotely after riding the weekend just isn't feasible any more.

Sun setting on Engineer mountain yesterday evening.
IMG_20180725_185925973_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you can't make it. I am soooo excited, can't wait to get up there.

RG, national news shows some mud slides from Hermosa, how are things doing up there? Are we going to see you while we are all up in Ouray?

Michael, each day is a new adventure right now. Some folks from Durango are camping next to me. They said the Hermosa/pergatory area is still seeing some debree slides after any appreciable rain. Everything looks good to me. I'll get with the group while y'all are here. I have a few milder single tracks to temp you with. :trust:

Well I hope things setting down for their sakes.

I am all in for some single track (so long as its on the Husky). By the way what are you riding up there? Still have the big and smaller KTM's?

Sorry to hear you can't make it. I am soooo excited, can't wait to get up there.

RG, national news shows some mud slides from Hermosa, how are things doing up there? Are we going to see you while we are all up in Ouray?

Yeah...pretty bummed. It's really great riding up there and would be such a nice break from the heat.

Oh well....this was a bonus trip anyway...I was up there in late June for a week so it's not like I never get to go. Was hoping it would work but paying the bills is pretty critical to future trips I guess.

I will be coming from lake city to silverton via cinnamon pass on an overloaded Africa twin Sunday morning. Mabie I will see you guys in the middle?

Probably be at lake city by 10ish, camping in del Norte Saturday night.

The bikes have been loaded and waiting patiently since Monday evening. Sarah was a big help even though she is not going on this trip. I’m getting ants in my pants waiting to hit the road tomorrow!

431d1aa69f3367b4e13773fb49d2cfd6.jpg

63cebf4e2a21b7ea6412c5335c823e32.jpg

abdeb889fb845e9229e909fb164e75b5.jpg

I will be coming from lake city to silverton via cinnamon pass on an overloaded Africa twin Sunday morning. Mabie I will see you guys in the middle?

Probably be at lake city by 10ish, camping in del Norte Saturday night.

Sunday we will be heading up Corkscrew, California, Placer, and then Cinnamon to Lake City. After lunch, we'll head back over Engineer and then down along Mineral Creek back to 550. It will probably be some time after noon before we reach Lake City. I was planning on stopping at Poker Alice's.

Good grief you have them packed in there like sardines, I was happing getting 3 bikes to fit in my trailer, you have shown me just how much space I am wasting. Wish mine was a bit taller (yea there are a bunch of you saying "I told you so")

I am excited seeing all of those clean bikes that are just crying out to have some mud sprayed all over them from the mighty Husky 501 :)

Haven't started loading yet, felt guilty leaving mine out in the heat, but I will tonight! Man I can't wait to hit the road tomorrow ...

:tab The trick for the front three bikes is having the middle bike face forward and the two outer bikes facing rearward so the handle bars don't hit. With the big bikes, it would be REALLY hard to get another bike in there. The best I have done is cram a little Yamaha TTR-50E between them facing backward and sitting all the way to the back by the ramp.

:tab I could get six 650 and smaller sized bikes in there or I could get four full sized bikes like the 1090/GS. Having all the E-Track stuff REALLY helps because it allows me to change tie down points as needed. The higher row of tracks is really nice because I can hang my gear and the tie down straps on it.

:tab Just to drive folks crazy, I have made some changes to the routes based on changes in road status now that the fires are no longer an issue. They are STILL not set in stone though ;-) I am trying to get feedback off AdvRider about the true nature of a few of the dirt roads.

1. For day 3, I have us doing Black Bear and Bolam Passes, along with some interesting side roads as we head back up US 550 to Ouray. I am unsure about the true nature of some of those side roads, whether they are trails or roads suitable for the small bikes. However, the only thing that would affect is whether we just run back up 550 without doing the side routes. It just makes for a slightly shorter route.

2. For day 6, I have us doing the Uncompahgre Divide Road. In City Navigator, it shows just the Divide part (the dirt) as being 96.4 miles with a travel time of 10-1/2 hours, meaning an average speed of around 9 mph!! I am thinking that cannot be right because someone on Adv mentioned that it was not a hard road and was suitable for the big bikes. Ideally, it should take 4-5 hours, running an average of 20-25 mph, leaving 3-4 hours to ride the remaining 190 miles of the route, which is all fast highway. So if we leave at 9:00am, we should be back to the hotel by 5-6pm, maybe 7 if we do a long lunch and stop a lot along the way. I've tried to cut this route a bit shorter, but there really isn't a good way to do that without making it not worth doing. I've been trying to get out there to ride the Divide road since my first trip out to Colorado back in 2000. So this is still up in the air...

Right click here and Save As for the most up to date GPX route file.

The link for the route file is also in the very first post in this thread. Any time I update it, the link will stay the same. So if you grab the file Thursday evening or Friday morning before leaving, it will likely be the final version. If I do make any more changes, I will also post up here to let you know.

No route updates since this post. So if you downloaded it then, you are good to go. Otherwise, grab it now ;-)

We are leaving around 1:30-2:00pm tomorrow afternoon. We should arrive in Ouray 20-21 hours later. See y'all there! :rider:

The Husky 501 looks good in the back of the truck, trailer is hooked up with the Twin happy inside, gear loaded waiting on Steve (Desmo) to arrive at my house about noon today. Shouldn't take too long to load his two bikes into the trailer and hit the road by 1:00 or 2:00PM today. Guess we will ironman it switching off driving so we should hit Ouray within an hour or two of each other.

Boy oh boy I am excited, feel like I am playing hookie or something. Big thanks out to my big boss for staying behind and taking care of the 1,000 things per day she does so I can play with the guys :)

Oh I forgot to write that I have a new GoPro Hero 6 I have only played with a little. With any luck I can get a few good videos to post up at some point.

Still need to attach some mounts to my helmets and maybe a place or two on the bikes. I put one on the front of the Twin below the clear wind screen and it takes great videos from there. Captures the leaning through the corners really well.

I know this isn't the proper thread, but I am packing up the GoPro for the trip and took my first shot at uploading 3 videos to YouTube from my computer. Here are 3 quick videos I shot last month while in Cedar City UT. Which by the way is a place we need to explore. The roads are some of the best in the USA and there are hundreds of miles of easy dirt roads for the big bikes and I am sure lots of little bike stuff too.

[ame="https://youtu.be/7skwzszaJPk"]Outside Cedar City, UT on the AT - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/P5sxoLjc5OA"]Outside Cedar CIty UT - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/gvNcThlpwlo"]Radom Dirt Road Behind Bryce Canyon National Park - YouTube[/ame]

If you boys can dial in to 92.5 Silverton Colorado tonight.... Do so. Beats the hound out looking at new Mexico. Which ain't really new and surely isn't Mexico.

Last edited:
Chris and I are rocking the great San Juan loop a la manyana. Start at the sultan cg 10 am local. Be there or do whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back