• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RPHA70ST & BT communicator

Reaction score
I have a beloved HJC RPHA70ST .. that's their full-face "sport touring" helmet. Fits great. I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, after my wreck, I replaced the crashed RPHA70ST with a new one just like it.

Once I got a cheap bluetooth comms kit for my RPHA helmet, and it was unusable because the earphones smashed against my ears. I figured it was because it was a cheap setup and maybe a "real" brand BT comms setup like Cardo or Sena would be a better fit. In fact, HJC has a partnership with Cardo and there's even a special version of one of the Cardo kits that is made to work with these RPHA helmets in a more seamless manner.

I recently bought a Cardo Freecom 2+ used from another member. It also doesn't work with the RPHA helmet. It's not the special setup that's supposed to work best with these helmets, but the earphones part is the same, and it's the part that doesn't fit.

My research indicates everyone has this same issue with RPHA helmets. The ear cups are too shallow and you can't fit earphones in there, even though it comes stock with velcro in there to accommodate them. Some owners have cut the plastic that's under the earcup and mounted earphones straight the foam, and others even took a dremel to the foam which seems like a really bad idea. Removing the plastic is only going to give me another couple of mm max and I need like 8-10 mm more clearance for this to fit. I guess that's what you get with a lightweight helmet with less wind profile; the shell is more compact and it doesn't have enough room for ears plus earphones.

I think the solution I am going to try is IEMs with a short cable and just put the IEMs in my ears before I put the helmet on, then plug them in. It's a crummy solution, but at least it will work and be comfortable enough to wear for long periods.

BTW the Cardo rig fits fine and is comfortable on my LS2 helmet, which I tend to wear on low speed rides, like on my scooter. That helmet is brilliantly comfortable too, but it's a 3/4 helmet so to me it's only a special use helmet. I do have a fancy FF carbon fiber LS2 helmet on my wish list. This ear room issue is enough to make me consider getting the LS2 to replace my RPHA when it hits the 5 year mark.

A long time ago I pulled out the speakers from my Sena units because, no matter what I tried, my ears would ache after just an hour or so. And that's not to mention the sound that was terrible at any elevated speed. I went with wired ear buds and gained a huge improvement in comfort and sound quality. Another benefit was knocking down the wind/road noise a very noticeable amount. The only down-side is fussing with the buds and cords when it's time to getting going. It's a bit of a pain but not terrible, and once on the road it's invisible.

BTW, I use the longer corded buds. It allows me to put on and take off my helmet when the cord is already plugged into the unit. I find plugging it in when the helmet is already on my head is very fidgety. I tuck the excess cord into the front zipper opening of my jacket.

I went with wired ear buds and gained a huge improvement in comfort and sound quality. Another benefit was knocking down the wind/road noise a very noticeable amount. The only down-side is fussing with the buds and cords when it's time to getting going. It's a bit of a pain but not terrible, and once on the road it's invisible.

BTW, I use the longer corded buds. It allows me to put on and take off my helmet when the cord is already plugged into the unit. I find plugging it in when the helmet is already on my head is very fidgety. I tuck the excess cord into the front zipper opening of my jacket.

Absolutely this. I can get away with using the long cord with my IEMs since, like you, I will have my jacket any time I'll be wearing the FF helmet and I can tuck in the cable. Plus, the IEMs I plan to use (Shure SE315s) have MMCX connectors, and I'm having a tough time finding a short MMCX cable.

Absolutely this. I can get away with using the long cord with my IEMs since, like you, I will have my jacket any time I'll be wearing the FF helmet and I can tuck in the cable. Plus, the IEMs I plan to use (Shure SE315s) have MMCX connectors, and I'm having a tough time finding a short MMCX cable.

Those are pricey, but I'm sure you get what you pay for. My right ear is jacked up from a diving mistake so it's hard to get hard IEM's to fit and stay in it.

Also, I'm a cheapskate so I use these for $21.00: Plugfones

I'm no audiophile, so I'm not too particular about sound, other than I want to hear it.

Those are pricey, but I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Haha. I've had these for a decade or more, and I got them when I was using them as a musician for stage monitoring. For that purpose, they were kind of cheap. I have since replaced them, twice, with better IEMs for stage. And I have like a dozen other pair of IEMs, earbuds, bluetooth, over the ear headphones, etc.

I had those on my list. I think I'll grab a pair just for this purpose. Mostly because if I break them or lose them while out on the road, it will be less annoying than if I lost any of my other earphones. I don't listen to music while riding, so this is strictly for directions, phone calls, and news radio.

Those are pricey, but I'm sure you get what you pay for. My right ear is jacked up from a diving mistake so it's hard to get hard IEM's to fit and stay in it.

I'm no audiophile, so I'm not too particular about sound, other than I want to hear it.
Plugphones FTW - I've been know to plug the wired ones into my Sena 20 instead of the speakers

Back