• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shorai Lithium Ion Motorcycle Batteries

I have two Shorai Lithium Ion Motorcycle Batteries now being run though the ringer. Real test will start in a few weeks when i let them sit for 3 months while Im in Afghanistan, then used for two weeks, then sit for another 9 months.

There are much better options, made by American companies (but yes, the cells are made in China, thank the EPA). Also be cautious of batteries that require purchase of their specific charger to balance the cells. There are batteries with the software built in so that the cells are always balanced, for better life and safety.

There are much better options, made by American companies (but yes, the cells are made in China, thank the EPA). Also be cautious of batteries that require purchase of their specific charger to balance the cells. There are batteries with the software built in so that the cells are always balanced, for better life and safety.

1: Please share the battery that has built in software to balance the cells.
2: there is no need to balance cells once the batter is properly built.
3: Yes there are US built battery packs.. better still are Us rider built battery packs.
4: As far as Shorai... I stopped using them when i realized I can build better performing battery, that fit perfectly to my applications, have MUCH more AH available, and are Built not only in the US, but in Texas in a garage on my property in the US....:-D

1: Please share the battery that has built in software to balance the cells.
2: there is no need to balance cells once the batter is properly built.
3: Yes there are US built battery packs.. better still are Us rider built battery packs.
4: As far as Shorai... I stopped using them when i realized I can build better performing battery, that fit perfectly to my applications, have MUCH more AH available, and are Built not only in the US, but in Texas in a garage on my property in the US....:-D

EarthX Batteries

Hmm, thats interesting. As Bronco mentions, I don't see why you'd need software to balance them. :scratch:

Bronco, did i miss a thread on building batteries?

I seriously looked at replacing my battery a few months ago on the VFR. Turns out I could get a lead-acid battery for less than 1/3 the cost of the Shorai, so I went the old-school route.

EarthX Batteries
Inside every one of our batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over-discharge. What this means for you is more starting power, longer battery life, and the safest lithium motorsport battery on the market. All types of lithium batteries (not just ours) require a “BMS” that monitors and balances the cell charge.

OK that would be HARDWARE.. not software :giveup: and not needed... not when the battery is properly built.. and worse.. BMS to correctly charge a 8, 12 or larger battery, would not fit in the case..

They may build a fine product :giveup: no idea, never heard of um, don't know anyone in any section of the motorcycling communities I travel in that uses them, and I have never used one.. But it's always good to have choices.

Hmm, thats interesting. As Bronco mentions, I don't see why you'd need software to balance them. :scratch:

Bronco, did i miss a thread on building batteries?

I seriously looked at replacing my battery a few months ago on the VFR. Turns out I could get a lead-acid battery for less than 1/3 the cost of the Shorai, so I went the old-school route.

You can get a lead acid wet or gel battery for 1/2 (or less) the cost of a Lithium Ion Phosphate battery,,, but it wont be smaller, lighter, have more the available amps, or hold a charge for 10, 20x what the lead battery will.

Many folks are ok with that and plop in a new walmart or Yuasa battery every few years.. Nothing wrong with that if it meets your goals.

No I did not do a write up here or Thumpertalk yet... I've discussed it some on the Superhawk forum..

I do not buy in bulk, so they end up the same cost as a Yuasa.
I do not spend $$ on a fancy case, so just shrink wrap them.
They do not look like a fancy mass produced battery.. MOST will not be interested in the build, the cost, nor the looks... No matter that the battery is 1/8th the weight, 1/2~1/3 the size and many times the power.:giveup:

Last edited:
Getting back to the original topic, a friend of mine just installed one of these LI batteries in his 2004 FJR 1300. He says it really spins the motor up fast on start. He had to put some shims (included) in the battery box to make up for the smaller size, but did note that it felt really light com pared to the last lead-acid battery he installed that only lasted a couple of years.

I have had a Shorai in my BMW for the last year. Matter of fact, I just took it out of the bike this past Tuesday.

The battery is small and light. I mean really light. It holds voltage well and seems to put out a lot of cranking amps when warm. The reason I took it out is because of cold weather.

In my experience this battery really lacks the cranking amps in cold weather. Last year I had several occasions where it would cause a fault in my ABS on the bike. Those that have BMW's with ABS will understand what I am talking about.

I read where you have to turn the ignition on and allow the battery to warm up for two or three minutes, but I found with my bike that did not make any difference.

The problem may be with the two big jugs that it has to turn over to get started when cold. I have a feeling on bikes with smaller pistons it may work well, so I will transfer it to one of my other bikes when they need a battery.

Overall I think it is a good but expensive battery. If weight is an issue, like for the off roads guys, then this may be the battery for you.

The above are my opinions only, based on my experience with the battery.

Fred

I have had a Shorai in my BMW for the last year. Matter of fact, I just took it out of the bike this past Tuesday.

The battery is small and light. I mean really light. It holds voltage well and seems to put out a lot of cranking amps when warm. The reason I took it out is because of cold weather.

In my experience this battery really lacks the cranking amps in cold weather. Last year I had several occasions where it would cause a fault in my ABS on the bike. Those that have BMW's with ABS will understand what I am talking about.

I read where you have to turn the ignition on and allow the battery to warm up for two or three minutes, but I found with my bike that did not make any difference.

The problem may be with the two big jugs that it has to turn over to get started when cold. I have a feeling on bikes with smaller pistons it may work well, so I will transfer it to one of my other bikes when they need a battery.

Overall I think it is a good but expensive battery. If weight is an issue, like for the off roads guys, then this may be the battery for you.

The above are my opinions only, based on my experience with the battery.

Fred
It is not lacking in cold weather, just has to be used differently then a lead acid.

Lithium Ion Phosphate battery's have to be "warmed up" before full cranking voltage can be achieved.

I learned this without knowing I learned it....watching Helicopter pilots preflight and start the aircraft (turning on landing lights for a min before start up)

On a smaller bike sized battery just turning on the key, and letting the headlight burn for 1/2 min, then start will normally do the trick unless below freezing temps are at hand.

It is not lacking in cold weather, just has to be used differently then a lead acid.

Lithium Ion Phosphate battery's have to be "warmed up" before full cranking voltage can be achieved.

I learned this without knowing I learned it....watching Helicopter pilots preflight and start the aircraft (turning on landing lights for a min before start up)

On a smaller bike sized battery just turning on the key, and letting the headlight burn for 1/2 min, then start will normally do the trick unless below freezing temps are at hand.

I did know about having to warm up the battery, so I did turn the ignition on and allowed it to warm up for a couple of minutes. Still had the same results. I am talking about below freezing temperatures (in the twenties).

The bike always started, but there just wasn't enough to set the ABS. When this occasionally happened with a Lead Battery, I could let the bike warm up for about 5 minutes then turn it off and start it back up and the ABS would set. With the Shorai battery this did not happen. I would have to ride a couple of hours before it would reset.

At first I thought it may be my alternator, so I did all the checks and the alternator is fine, so my only conclusion is that it was the battery.

I do a lot of winter riding, so I decided to go back to a lead battery. I am not throwing the battery away, just going to try it in a different bike.

I did know about having to warm up the battery, so I did turn the ignition on and allowed it to warm up for a couple of minutes. Still had the same results. I am talking about below freezing temperatures (in the twenties).

The bike always started, but there just wasn't enough to set the ABS. When this occasionally happened with a Lead Battery, I could let the bike warm up for about 5 minutes then turn it off and start it back up and the ABS would set. With the Shorai battery this did not happen. I would have to ride a couple of hours before it would reset.

At first I thought it may be my alternator, so I did all the checks and the alternator is fine, so my only conclusion is that it was the battery.

I do a lot of winter riding, so I decided to go back to a lead battery. I am not throwing the battery away, just going to try it in a different bike.

Ahhhhh, yes ok I see.
Yes in your case, use in sub freezing temps.. Lithium Ion Phosphate, more so the cheaper ones (Like the Shorai ) should be avoided.

I did not understand the type of "cold" implied in your other posts..Cold weather here in CENTEX is a few days of sub freezing cold....After living in Alaska for 5 years.... I tend to view that as not really cold weather... and forget, other places in TX get colder, for longer..

You made a good decision in my opinion..

Last edited:
I know this an old thread but thought I would post my Shorai battery experience here.

Last week mid ride my trusty old KTM 525 wouldn’t crank. Today I checked the Shorai battery and only 8v. I knew I had it for awhile so I went back and found out I bought it in June of 2012. I guess I’ll call 9yrs 5months a good run. I hope the new one last that long.
A4130576-9027-4E62-A8F8-130C002EF817.jpeg

In February 2015, I purchased a DR650 from @WoodButcher and the bike had a Shorai battery. He said he had just removed a Shorai from his BMW GS because it had lost it's charge. He gave me the Shorai battery from his GS and I charged it up and ran it in my BMW GSA until June of 2017. The battery was still fine, but three co-workers needed it to run the bilge pump in their three-man canoe when they competed in the Texas Water Safari. They ran the pump on and off during their 68-hour run and ran it for 30 minutes straight as they crossed the San Anotonio Bay to the finish line in Seadrift. The battery still had a full charge at the end of the race. Not sure how long Woodbutcher had it before he gave it to me, but battery served me and my co-workers well.

Back