• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Short visit to Big Bend

Rydah

Who's ready to ride some dirt?!
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be down in the national park with family for a few days, and will be taking my 450 with me. I'll be mostly there to spend time with them, but plan to do a day of riding also. If anyone will be there riding between the 19th and 21st, and would like some company, lemme know.

There is no such thing as a "short" visit to Big Bend, once you get there you don't want to leave !!!

Have fun - been there 3 wiinters, wish I could join you.

There is a possibility we will be down there over that time frame. We are still firming up plans on our end to see which week will be best. I’ll let you know.

Is your 450 plated?

I've never wandered into that area, but I guess it's accessible without permission? Usually, when I see anything with "ranch" in the name, I assume it's private land.

Nearly every road thru the Ranch is private, but there are a few county roads open to the public. S County, N County, Marathon Rd, etc - see Tx Dot for the map. Decide for yourself if you're willing to ride private roads without proper permission, or bring a Ranch property owner with ya.

Or.... you can be the guest of a ranch property owner. They don't have to be with you in order for you to be a guest.

I happen to be an unpaid Ranch Manager for a property owner out there and I have his permission to be on ranch property anytime I need to be in order to check in on the ranch or surrounding roads/areas. :)

Or.... you can be the guest of a ranch property owner. They don't have to be with you in order for you to be a guest.

I happen to be an unpaid Ranch Manager for a property owner out there and I have his permission to be on ranch property anytime I need to be in order to check in on the ranch or surrounding roads/areas. :)
Sooooo... does that means I've been guested? :-D

I was a guest of Peter, @Mextrekadv, on the "around the bend" ride when I went so that was how I accessed the ranch roads last time. I remember him talking about the guest permission rules the first morning at breakfast. I thought Rydah might have some similar permission situation. I might drive out to big bend to ride and camp for a few days since it it lines up with my off-time.

Sooooo... does that means I've been guested? :-D
Well, I'm not a property owner so I can't technically invite anyone. But.... there are a fair number of folks on here that are. One just so happens to be the ride planner for the Around the Bend ride.

All that being said, if you are just minding your own business and not playing Johnny Racer up and down the roads in the ranch, there is a 99.9993% chance that you will never have a problem for years and years.

All that being said, if you are just minding your own business and not playing Johnny Racer up and down the roads in the ranch, there is a 99.9993% chance that you will never have a problem for years and years.

Well, I know personally of folks who've had "problems" with land owners not thrilled about bike traffic, but I might know the 0.0007 percenters ;) . Anyway, that place is truly the wild west. Make your own decisions.

Well, I know personally of folks who've had "problems" with land owners not thrilled about bike traffic, but I might know the 0.0007 percenters ;) . Anyway, that place is truly the wild west. Make your own decisions.
We had a lady shooting over heads one year in Terlingua Ranch. Thankfully, she is not around anymore. Being respectful that you are a guest goes a long way when you are on Terlingua Ranch property. I was down there a few weeks ago with a few people and we had no issues. Slowing down when you see other traffic, people or animals, and having a quiet bike also goes a long ways to not pissing off the land owners.

I attended Around the Bend once, never again. Too many people running around the same weekend with a handful that are not respectful to the people that choose to live there because of the area's quiet solitude.

I hope I wouldn't be taken as a nuisance by the locals if I was riding by myself instead of groups of 6-8 like we did in "around the bend". I have a stock pipe on my DRZ and shift really early when I'm around houses or other vehicles on the road. My main issue last time was taking a wrong turn and ending up on somebody's long driveway. I'd imagine people that choose to live out on mars aren't comfortable with unknown riders coming down their personal entrance. A lot of the roads don't have signs. Most of the signs I saw were to indicate private property.

Well, we can quickly put this discussion to bed; I have no intention of riding on anyone's private land. I'll probably be doing the ol' River Road/Black Gap stuff.

Well, we can quickly put this discussion to bed; I have no intention of riding on anyone's private land. I'll probably be doing the ol' River Road/Black Gap stuff.
Don't forget Old Ore! Personally, it is my favorite road in the park.

Rydah, several years ago part of the Uncles Around the Bend was something called DOSYDOS. It was a tiddler ride for 200cc or less. Did Black Gap, Old Ore and one more I can't remember. We had quite a few tiddlers on those rides (25?). Anyways, I've had the most fun out there and on the state park on my CT90.

Rydah, several years ago part of the Uncles Around the Bend was something called DOSYDOS. It was a tiddler ride for 200cc or less. Did Black Gap, Old Ore and one more I can't remember. We had quite a few tiddlers on those rides (25?). Anyways, I've had the most fun out there and on the state park on my CT90.
Man, I bet that would be fun! If that ever occurs again, I'd love to attend, so fingers crossed.

We are confirmed for next week. We will be leaving out of here on Sunday and staying the week at the Motor Inn. Fair warning, when we ride in the national park, we take it nice and easy for a few reasons. First, we are two-up on a 24 year old KLR. :lol2: Second, we come out to Big Bend for the scenery, and not to live out some fantasy of becoming a baja racer but without having to go to Mexico to do it.

I'm not sure what our schedule will be, but typically we look at the weather and if there are cooler days, we use those as hiking days, and the warmer days are bike days.

Well, you know how us "fantasy Baja racers" are; we're used to riding alone :roll:. With speed limits down to 25mph on some roads though, there probably won't be much of that going on anyway. Y'all have fun, and try not to tip over, LOL. Maybe we'll see you out there on the trails.

Well, you know how us "fantasy Baja racers" are; we're used to riding alone :roll:. With speed limits down to 25mph on some roads though, there probably won't be much of that going on anyway. Y'all have fun, and try not to tip over, LOL. Maybe we'll see you out there on the trails.
Maybe... I was just letting you know since you were looking for other riders. If you want to join us, you are more than welcome. If not, no worries there either. Just thought I would offer.

Back