• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Should I get a new ___ (dual-sport or straight dirt) . . . ?

Reaction score
Hey y'all!
I can see this thread inviting a firestorm of opinions, so here goes nothing haha . . . .

I've been waffling about this for awhile now, so want to solicit your input based on local knowledge. It's been long a-comin' but I said I'd get a new bike upon graduation from engineering school and that time has come. Currently living in Denver and seeing the generous inventory/selection here (and my familiarity with the dealerships), I was thinking it'd be best to purchase here before making the trek down to El Paso for my full time job.

Now, being in El Paso, I am looking for a bike that would fit the profile for extensive trail/moderate enduro riding around there + the surrounding area. Problem is, outside of copious amounts of googling, I'm not entirely familiar with what the area has to offer in that regard!

Anyone with good familiarity of the area/trails in the El Paso and surrounding areas (Las Cruces, NM mountains, W. Texas area hills etc.) have a recommendation as to whether I'd have more opportunities with either a dual sport or a straight dirt bike?

. . . for reference, looking reeeallly strongly at a KTM 350 EXC-F right now if it were to be a dual-sport (<<what I'm currently strongly defaulting towards), or a KTM 150 XC if it were to be just a straight dirt/trail bike and somebody strongly changes my mind in that direction. . . .

Thank you all ahead of time for your thoughts!

EDIT: @sanderjavant I was referred to your thread upon first joining on the annual Las Cruces hard dual sport ride awhile back, so I'd imagine you have some VERY good familiarity with trails in that area? Thanks

Last edited:
I would definitely go with the dual-sport and it's on-road capabilities. Where you're located you will be making trips to Big Bend and you have to have a street legal bike to get from trail to trail there. Also, it's pretty decent distances from one side of the park to the other and a small bore two stroke would be very stressed making those trips.

I think you'll also find this reasoning will apply to many scenarios in your immediate area. That part of Texas is S...P...R...E...D way out and commuting will definitely come into play.

Two friends had 350exc's and rode them to Galeana Mexico and back and then enjoyed some great terrain while there. That was a 200+ trek each way to get there.

Last edited:
To me, the best is to get a proper dirtbike with a plate! It's really neat to be able to go about anywhere. Now if you have to cover a lot of highway miles a plated dirtbike is pretty miserable(to me). I got lost on an Arkansas trip, ended up very far from cabin on a Sunday and we needed to get back. So over an hour on highway on a 500cc dirtbike. For me the droning exhaust, vibrations, and being so light everything moved it around just wasn't fun. I think the noise was worst part of it. Where I live I'm only 30 minutes to a trailhead in National forest, and for me that's too far to ride a dirtbike, I'll truck it Now if I had the 690 I'd ride to forest but then it's not as good on the trails! Compromises is part of d/s to me. Find which side of the compromise fits your situation best.

I have both a 500 and 690 and have ridden them both pretty extensively in BB and other trails in my area. Honestly, it's hard to say which is better. On each one some of the time you're going to be loving it and glad you rode it, and some other times you're going to wish you were on the other one.

I've done a 1400 mile Mexico trip on the 690 with a friend who was on a 350exc. He was miserable most of the time. I was just uncomfortable. But he blew my socks off every time we hit the technical stuff.

There's just no perfect bike.

I have both a 500 and 690 and have ridden them both pretty extensively in BB and other trails in my area. Honestly, it's hard to say which is better. On each one some of the time you're going to be loving it and glad you rode it, and some other times you're going to wish you were on the other one.

I've done a 1400 mile Mexico trip on the 690 with a friend who was on a 350exc. He was miserable most of the time. I was just uncomfortable. But he blew my socks off every time we hit the technical stuff.

There's just no perfect bike.
That's the bottom line! I being poor have to settle on one of them, lol.

Good good stuff, I really appreciate the input fellas -- yea based on what I'm hearing from y'all it's reinforcing my bias towards a dual-sport bike.

The primary logic behind my flirtations with the KTM 350 EXC-F is the huge weight savings - I'm a 145 lb guy soaking wet who runs for exercise, no not necessarily made of muscles. Lighter bikes and I get along a bit better it seems . . . in all honesty the thing'll probably ride in the back of my truck up to the destination if it's anything further than Las Cruces anyway, so doing hypermiles on the highway isn't my greatest concern (again refer to the weight above, I can get a TW200 going pretty good on the highway haha ;))

Given that, I've had a couple owners and dealers warn me against the 500 EXC, saying that having the larger displacement (i.e. larger rotating flywheel mass etc in between your knees) can get exhausting real fast off road as a result . . .
EDIT: the username holds quite a bit of truth once the pavement ends, which is also why weight savings are big for me . . . picking the darn thing up hahaha

Last edited:
Get both of them, then plate them both!
@Brapariah
gosh wouldn't that be nice :rider:lol naw the pocketbook won't quite allow that just now!

. . . I do see in your handle you've got a DRZ400! Bracketing the post I just put above, I *have* had pretty strong flirtations with those throughout this scouting process, as well as the similar players in that class (DRZ400s, DR650s, XR650s to be specific) - what's your riding profile and experience with that bike??? From what I read the things have a cult following, and I'm guessing for good reason! Again, it's just the weight that sorta deters me . . .

Dont know if your on facebook but if you are there is a very active New Mexico group Dirt Ride of New Mexico where you can get a lot of good singletrack options and people to ride with

Given that, I've had a couple owners and dealers warn me against the 500 EXC, saying that having the larger displacement (i.e. larger rotating flywheel mass etc in between your knees) can get exhausting real fast off road as a result . . .
Having had a few of both, can't believe it'd be much different. Sure some will say otherwise. Weight wise bikes are the same except piston. A stock, new 500 EXC is going to be overly powerful anyway. They're pretty restricted for EPA. That said if I'm trucking it I'd go 350 just because i like the little more lively motor than lugging the 500.

KTM 500 EXC-F Key Specifications

Price$11,799
Engine 1-Cylinder, 4-stroke
Displacement510.9cc
Transmission 6-Speed, manual
Power39.4 HP
Seat Height37.8 inches
Dry Weight100 kg

Shows 3 pounds difference.

Just my current opinion, I recently bought bike 58, so my interest changes a lot.

As always of course it depends on your most frequent and desired use. And all bikes are a compromise outside of their main designed focus. Try to get one bike to do it all is like having only one wrench to do all you bike maintenance. Some can, I can't.

For me right now, its plated dirt bikes. I love the look of a barely street legal dirt bike. I also have a 1996 Suzuki DR650, it just feels like a pig now.

I have both a 1996 Honda XR400R and a 2021 GASGAS EC300 and my wife a 2001 Yamaha TTR125L. For me the GASGAS is actually more comfortable on pavement, mainly due to the 6 speed. However, both are used as little as possible on pavement, mainly to connect trails and to ride from the motel to the trails. I've ridden the 40 miles of pavement from TorC many times on the XR and hated it, but the trade off of riding Chloride Canyon on a lighter weight dirt bike was worth it. Yes I could have trailer-ed it over.

I'm not good enough of a rider to ride even a light adventure bike on trails.

The nice thing is what ever you buy if you don't like it you can sell it. I'm still looking for nirvana, and having fun trying to find it. Most rides I've been on everyone has a different bike, but the enjoyment is similar.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site…. We love El Paso - the entry to the West. You have some awesome places to explore…. The KTM 350 exc or The DRz400s are great options.

@iDropEmAlot how is the KTM 150? Is Redsands Mx still open?

Welcome to the site…. We love El Paso - the entry to the West. You have some awesome places to explore…. The KTM 350 exc or The DRz400s are great options.

@iDropEmAlot how is the KTM 150? Is Redsands Mx still open?
Thanks much! Great community on here, makes the move from Denver a bit more welcoming haha. I got a 125, it was sorta pandora's box when I first got it as far as maintenance is concerned (shocks bleeding bad, developed a no spark condition) but she's running like a clock now. For a relative noob like me, 125 has plenty of kick to get into trouble, but plenty lightweight lol

I couldn't speak to Redsands, moving down there in a few weeks . . .

Just my current opinion, I recently bought bike 58, so my interest changes a lot.

As always of course it depends on your most frequent and desired use. And all bikes are a compromise outside of their main designed focus. Try to get one bike to do it all is like having only one wrench to do all you bike maintenance. Some can, I can't.

For me right now, its plated dirt bikes. I love the look of a barely street legal dirt bike. I also have a 1996 Suzuki DR650, it just feels like a pig now.

I have both a 1996 Honda XR400R and a 2021 GASGAS EC300 and my wife a 2001 Yamaha TTR125L. For me the GASGAS is actually more comfortable on pavement, mainly due to the 6 speed. However, both are used as little as possible on pavement, mainly to connect trails and to ride from the motel to the trails. I've ridden the 40 miles of pavement from TorC many times on the XR and hated it, but the trade off of riding Chloride Canyon on a lighter weight dirt bike was worth it. Yes I could have trailer-ed it over.

I'm not good enough of a rider to ride even a light adventure bike on trails.

The nice thing is what ever you buy if you don't like it you can sell it. I'm still looking for nirvana, and having fun trying to find it. Most rides I've been on everyone has a different bike, but the enjoyment is similar.

58 bikes, glad I tagged you haha! I appreciate the input.

Yea connecting to trails would be the main focus for dual sports. and yea you're right, selling is always an option - maybe I'm just taking a bit too much effort to get it right the first time . . . it'd sure be nice if dealerships would allow test rides! I don't know how it is around y'all, but here in CO you basically need to be one step away from signing on the line before they even let you take anything around the block.

For me its all offroad singletrack or trials any more. Sold my plated XR400 as I never rode it on the street, sold both of my street bikes a couple of years ago,
at 60 years old I am having more fun on two wheels as I have had in years, I ride either my trials bike or enduro bike with a groupof guys between 35 and 78 years old and enjoy every hour on the bike. And there is no better medicine than laughing at and with your riding buds as never a day goes by when someone in our group proves why we have jobs and dont make our living on bikes

We take a few 3 or 4 day trips per year to go to a out of state riding area which are fun adventures for both the riding and friendship

what's your riding profile and experience with that bike?
I cut my teeth on the DRZ, rode a little bit growing up but am far from a B rider. Ive put about 5k on mine from commuting / group rides / enduro parks / ohv wood trails. The DRZ is great to run around town or take down single track. I just got to a point where I wanted a better bike for offroad that wasn't so heavy, so I picked up the YZ250F. At the time I was looking at a 150xcw as well, and a 350, was also considering a 300xcw. I talked myself out of getting a 150 because I thought I needed more power, in hindsight I probably should have bought it. The YZ is great but more bike than I really need for what I like to ride, I think about selling it and getting a 150 all of the time.

Hey y'all!
I can see this thread inviting a firestorm of opinions, so here goes nothing haha . . . .

I've been waffling about this for awhile now, so want to solicit your input based on local knowledge. It's been long a-comin' but I said I'd get a new bike upon graduation from engineering school and that time has come. Currently living in Denver and seeing the generous inventory/selection here (and my familiarity with the dealerships), I was thinking it'd be best to purchase here before making the trek down to El Paso for my full time job.

Now, being in El Paso, I am looking for a bike that would fit the profile for extensive trail/moderate enduro riding around there + the surrounding area. Problem is, outside of copious amounts of googling, I'm not entirely familiar with what the area has to offer in that regard!

Anyone with good familiarity of the area/trails in the El Paso and surrounding areas (Las Cruces, NM mountains, W. Texas area hills etc.) have a recommendation as to whether I'd have more opportunities with either a dual sport or a straight dirt bike?

. . . for reference, looking reeeallly strongly at a KTM 350 EXC-F right now if it were to be a dual-sport (<<what I'm currently strongly defaulting towards), or a KTM 150 XC if it were to be just a straight dirt/trail bike and somebody strongly changes my mind in that direction. . . .

EDIT: @sanderjavant I was referred to your thread upon first joining on the annual Las Cruces hard dual sport ride awhile back, so I'd imagine you have some VERY good familiarity with trails in that area? Thanks

hello ‘idropemalot’…..does your screen name imply you’re are beginner, or you love pushing the envelope? Anywho…..you’ll love Big Bend state& national,parks in W TX. Also, you’ll really like going into Mexico with the two wheel Texas crowd (2 trips a year?). Do you have a transport truck or trailer for a bike if you go enduro (not street legal). I’d personally do dual purpose but either way you can’t go wrong. happy Trails

if that were me, I'd ditch the 150 xc for el paso riding. Out there, there's endless ATV & jeep sand trails. ANd if you go 20 miles north , between EP and alamogordo, all that area is miles and miles of open desert sand to ride and camp out there for free. From Alamogordo, you're 15-20 miles from Cloudcroft, NM. This area has some of the best technical high rocky mountain single track riding , where @ 8500 ft asl, a 500cc thumper pulls like a 350cc, a 350cc pulls like 230cc. A 150cc two stroke up there will pull like a YZ85 at sea level. What's interesting about this area is, you can be riding in low elevation desert in the morning/one day, and spend the afterrnoon/next day riding high up in the rockies. Lots of diversity, so choose a bike that can do alot more than just one type

Last edited:
Back