• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Son runs The Mint 400

AllByteNoBark

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
John
We were unable to make it but our son ran in the Mint 400 this past weekend. First time he has run in a real desert race. Kind of jumping into the deep end! Don't really have any photos as of yet but below is a shot of his GPS read out after the race. He had spent quite a bit of time getting the bike ready and was supposed to ride as a team with a buddy. The buddy had something come up last minute and could not make it so he ended up riding the OPEN IRONMAN SPORTSMAN MOTORCYCLE class. He ended up 6th in class out of 22 riders. Overall he finished 35th in motorcycles out of 86. Not bad for a non-desert riding Texan. Said he had 3 low speed lay overs in deep sand slow turns. Top speed across the lake flat shows as 106.5 mph, pretty fast for a KTM 350. Said that was all it could pull with him tucked in.

Biggest problem was the suspension was setup in-between his weight and the buddies weight. The buddy is heavier and while he softened it up, he doesn't think he softened it enough. The wrist and elbows bothered him quite a bit the last lap. Something about he thought that the 58 miles track had 40 miles of sand whoops. :eek2: He thought if he had softened the forks a bit more he would have been a bit slower on the first lap but faster on the last.

May have some video later if it comes out. If so I will post a link.

If he goes again next year I am going to be there no matter what. To stressful knowing he is out there and we aren't there.

IMG_20240311_163115.jpg

Track map can be seen at:

Last edited:
Thanks. He was quite happy with his finish. He said he ran with the guy that got 3rd in his class for quite a while. He enjoyed it, would guess that he may go back again.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Pretty proud of him to even give this a try. I have always dreamt of what it would be like to participate and challenge yourself in an event like this but was never able to make it happen. So glad he was able to get it done. He ran his GoPro the first lap so hopefully that will turn out good and I can participate via that.

I did not mention that he was also nursing a broken little finger. He did that in January and thought it was good to go. Sounds like it was throbbing and causing some problems the last couple of laps. Have to remind myself that two laps is a long ways when the track is 58 miles long.

Man, that would be sooooooo much fun! Super happy for him (and envious, LOL) and please pass on our congratulations too. I wonder if they have an old guy class that only runs half a lap... hmmmm...

Man, that would be sooooooo much fun! Super happy for him (and envious, LOL) and please pass on our congratulations too. I wonder if they have an old guy class that only runs half a lap... hmmmm...
Actually they do have an over 60 class for the motorcycles. Only had two entries this year, one finisher. The thought has crossed my mind, hmmm, I should be able to make one lap...

Quick, someone slap me upside the head.

Actually they do have an over 60 class for the motorcycles. Only had two entries this year, one finisher. The thought has crossed my mind, hmmm, I should be able to make one lap...

Quick, someone slap me upside the hea
Meh.. just think of it as a trail in SHNF.. only wider..

Back