• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

sunday heart stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hey all, probably gonna get slammed for this but here goes.

leading a group of us, 3 busas, 2 fz1s 3 v-maxes and a couple other sport bikes on a WAY backroad trip ending up in galveston.

after hitting *** creek road, middle of BFE, about a 5 mile straight, Usually never see another vehicle for 10 miles or better. i
kick it up, passing 160 mph and climbing when my radar and screamer go
to full alert.
i can see about 600-800 yards ahead 2 goldwings that had passed us when
we were getting fuel, going the same way as we are. I chop the throttle
and lay into the breaks, i can see a car coming our way but can't tell
if it is beyond the goldwings or between us, but it looked like he was
still beyond the goldwings. i get the speed down to about 50mph and the
LEO comes by, i am waiting to see if he lights me up, but he waves as
he goes past. THAT was a heart stopper.
he must have hit the goldwings with his radar and my detector seen it.
man that would have been a [expletive deleted] of a ticket if not a visit to the local pokey.
for those that say radar detectors don't work, u are an mis-informed
it more than payed for itself right then.
later

Well, I'm glad the near miss was a ticket, not a crash at those speeds.

I don't own a radar detector, don't really need one. I did get a ticket for 75 in a 60 a few years back when I wasn't paying attention. That was my first ticket in a long time. I never run triple digit speeds, hardly ever a reason. I've done it a few times just to see what the SV would do. Weren't no 160, I can tell ya that. :lol: There's just too much that can happen too quickly on the highway at those speeds.

I'll sometimes crank it up on an interstate when I get good bear bait. I remember running over 100 mph out on I10 west of San Antonio coming back from Arizona for about 150 miles. Wasn't MUCH over a hundred cause I was on my VX800, LOL. Believe it or not, I was following 18 wheelers! :shock: WOW, don't get in THAT bad boy's way! He won't be able to stop till he hits harris county! There were three or four of 'em in front of me. Don't know if they were racing or just hauling butt, but they did it for 150 miles at which point I had to exit for gas. I was a bit tired of the pace, anyway.

Then there was the woman I followed around Ft. Worth on I35W at over 100 mph through traffic! I tired of the pace on that one and backed it down to 80 and felt like I was creeping, LOL. 20 miles are so down the road, that woman was up against her car with hands on the roof and a half dozen DPS around her. She deserved it, but then, so did I, LOL! Better her than me, though. Driving a BMW, I'm sure she could afford a cash bond.

If I'm going to exceed limits, I'd rather have some OTHER guy in front of me with a radar detector. I just use their brake lights as warning lights. That don't work too good on a two lane in BFE, just the big interstates, cause not many people run that fast on two lanes for good reason. But, I don't wanna be hauling but on a two lane anyway, especially where there are deer, wild hog, near sighted old farmers in pick ups, etc. There's always the spector of what would happen, and it's happened to me, if I had a tire failure at that sort of speed. Wouldn't be nothin' nice, I reckon.

So, I've never wasted my money on a radar detector.

kocook said:
Train460,
At 160 mph, a possible ticket is the least of your worries.

As inaccurate as most MC speedometers are, it was probably only 152... :shock:

train460 said:
for those that say radar detectors don't work, u are an mis-informed
it more than payed for itself right then.
later

Last time I got a ticket I was in my dad's car which happened to have a detector.

I don't need a detector though since I rarely speed. That last incident was 10 over at 5 in the am. Grr.

FJRMike said:
better watch your speed on *** creek road as there have been complaints about guys like you BLASTING down it at high speed so they are now patrolling it.
What are they patrolling with; a firetruck to wash off the remains?

Thank God I never do anything like that. The Bandit only did about 150, the SV about 137, and the Concours 120. All speeds are indicated. I guess I need a faster bike. :-D

kocook said:
FJRMike said:
better watch your speed on *** creek road as there have been complaints about guys like you BLASTING down it at high speed so they are now patrolling it.

Washdowns are illegal now. They are bio-hazards. Kitty Litter rules the day.

Gilk51 said:
kocook said:
Train460,

(kocook)

~~~~~~Wheee, I feel better, about the Speedo feller now, cuz 152mph sounds sooooooo muchhhhhh safer, than the quoted 160mph.~~willieT~~

txmedic said:
kocook said:
FJRMike said:

Washdowns are illegal now. They are bio-hazards. Kitty Litter rules the day.

THAT is a sobering visual txmedic.......

Gilk51 said:
kocook said:
Train460,

speedo healer installed

when I come to any civilization i slow down to close to the speed limit. i have been down that road maybe 25 times and don't want to p**s off the locals.
even if i happen to see another car i slow down. If i am passing someone i don't go blasting around them, scares the crap outa me when someone does it so i don't do it.
just a couple places out there where there is no drivways, intersections etc. i agree that some small animals are a possible concern.
but then breathing south texas air is a concern. **** women drivers are a concern:)
lots of things out there can kill ya. been sky diving, scuba diving etc, military policeman, attacted by a crazy drunk a couple times, discovered a couple dead bodies, **** almost became one a couple times. had to shoot an individual while on duty.
not gonna crawl up and hide because something is a bit more dangerous than would normally be. try to minimize the risks abit, make sure the bike is ready, backroads, know the raod surface etc, having a little fun.
later

train460 said:
leading a group of us . . .

. . . i kick it up, passing 160 mph and climbing . . .

I'm posting this just to remind myself of another reason I prefer to ride alone.

The ONLY good thing that can result from doing 160 is that when you kill someone else in the process, at least you won't have to live with the guilt because you'll be dead too.

Sorry, I just have no patience for this type of thing. It's one of the things that gives motorcyclists a bad name.

PassTheGravy said:
I'm posting this just to remind myself of another reason I prefer to ride alone.

The ONLY good thing that can result from doing 160 is that when you kill someone else in the process, at least you won't have to live with the guilt because you'll be dead too.

Sorry, I just have no patience for this type of thing. It's one of the things that gives motorcyclists a bad name.

+1

Great post...I don't ride alone, but I INSIST on meeting riders BEFORE riding with them to get an idea about their personality, how they ride...and if something doesn't feel right with someone, I just won't ride with them.

Kim

train460 said:
speedo healer installed

when I come to any civilization i slow down to close to the speed limit. i have been down that road maybe 25 times and don't want to p**s off the locals.
even if i happen to see another car i slow down. If i am passing someone i don't go blasting around them, scares the crap outa me when someone does it so i don't do it.
just a couple places out there where there is no drivways, intersections etc. i agree that some small animals are a possible concern.
but then breathing south texas air is a concern. heck women drivers are a concern:)
lots of things out there can kill ya. been sky diving, scuba diving etc, military policeman, attacted by a crazy drunk a couple times, discovered a couple dead bodies, heck almost became one a couple times. had to shoot an individual while on duty.
not gonna crawl up and hide because something is a bit more dangerous than would normally be. try to minimize the risks abit, make sure the bike is ready, backroads, know the raod surface etc, having a little fun.
later
ablackbirdjet9kw.jpg

Owning a Ballistic missle myself, an occasional jaunt into Hyper drive does spice up ones day, however dangerous it may be. And it can be done without endangering anyone else......
For those that choose to go through life without scaring themselves once in awhile, I don't fault you. You may live a long quiet life, or you could also slip getting out of the bath tub and die.
"Wear Sunscreen"...........Here is a fovorite song of mine that gives some great advice on living life to the fullest, really a good listen, Only takes 6 seconds to download. Listen to the words carefully........
http://savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=8125263

DrBlackbird said:
. . . For those that choose to go through life without scaring themselves once in awhile, I don't fault you. You may live a long quiet life, or you could also slip getting out of the bath tub and die. . .

. . . Or maybe you could t-bone a car at 160mph.

Look, you may try to justify it, but the bottom line is that the type of speed we're talking about here is just stupid. Not brave, not adventurous, not admirable in any way. Just dumb. Oh, and irresponsible.

As we all know, riding a motorcycle is risky even without breaking the law. Why would I want to increase that risk exponentially by doing approximately three times the legal speed limit? To do something like that would demonstrate a total disregard for my wife and family, not to mention the safety of other people. He started out by saying he was "leading" a ride. Do you think those other riders didn't feel some pressure to keep up somewhat?

Forget any superior riding skills. What happens if you shred a tire at that speed? You're dead. End of story.

The bottom line is that I can have plenty of fun on a bike without subjecting myself and others to those types of risks. I'm just not in that big a hurry to kill myself.

To DrBlackbird, I think formal competition on a closed circuit, banging bars with competition, is far more fun than running X mph on a motorcycle on the road. I've been up around 170mph on the track, and ya know what? It WAS BORING compared to the action I get on a mini track pushing and shoving my way to the front of a 7 row field of competitors!

The track is plenty risky enough. I've had a friend killed in racing, Hugh Humble, killed at Brainerd, Minn in an AMA race in the mid 80s. I know only too well how dangerous THAT is. BUT, there's one big difference. EVERYONE on that track wants to be there and accepts the risks. There are no innocents crossing the street, no one to kill who really doen't see your need for speed.

You don't have to race to experience speed. You can do track days. There's more than road courses, too. There's that 1 mile speed thing they do over in Beeville on the old navy base. A turbo busa went 250 mph there a while back. THAT'S speed! You can take it to the drag strip if that's your thing. Bottom line is, the street ain't the place for it. And, never mind, there is traffic law to consider.

PassTheGravy said:
Look, you may try to justify it, but the bottom line is that the type of speed we're talking about here is just stupid. Not brave, not adventurous, not admirable in any way. Just dumb. Oh, and irresponsible.

"PasstheGravy"....I didn't intend on scaring you with my previous post!!!
My intention was to say that there are many "Adventurous" people that choose to take these caculated risks. Life is too short to stay on the porch.
Daily, people release adrenalin into their system by doing daring things like, Mtn climbing, Bungee jumping, Base jumping, Rodeo riding, drag racing, White water kyaking......etc.
I wouldn't do some of the activities above, but I also woulnd't call someone who likes to hang off the side of a mountain with no saftey ropes "Dumb". It's a caculated risk he has chosen.........Granted, he could probably only kill himself............I also don't see what's so admirable about straping yourself to a 1 ton angry bull and trying to ride him........It's something the adverturous people like to do...........Why are so many people chomping at the bit to own a "Dodge Hemi"?......Because people like power, speed, adrenalin..............Ever heard of the term "Turbo-Charged"........People just like to go fast...........If the equipment is designed for high performance, and the conditions are acceptable, ( ie: deserted back Country road... I emphasize (Deserted)),...... and the only one you can hurt is yourself, ..... I say to all those that have gone out and spent their hard earned $ on their Ferrari's, Viper's, Porsche's, Busa's, Blackbird's........ Join the club with the "Hang Gliders", "Race Car drivers", Mountain climbers...etc.
Do it as Safe as you can,.....But enjoy Your Life!!!!

Jack Giesecke said:
hey all, probably gonna get slammed for this but here goes.

Guess you called THAT one. :chug: :lol:
Guy's,........There can be points made for each side.............But in quoting a previous post........"Traffic violations, Safety, Need to Hurry.
How many reading this spicy debate, has wanted to see if their new cycle could do 100 mph ?.............#1 Illegal,....#2 Safety....#3 What's the hurry......
Be honest, we've all done it.........yes, anything over the legal speed limit is risky........BUT, by George, we've ALL done it !!!!!!!!! :twisted: :-P :clap
:shame: So,....Jack and PassTheGravy, I hope you're not bent over picking up any more stones to throw, Unless you've never broken the law by topping 100 mph

DrBlackbird said:
"PasstheGravy"....I didn't intend on scaring you with my previous post!!!

Nope. Doesn't scare me a bit when people disagree with me. You've got the right to be wrong if you want to. :-)

DrBlackbird said:
My intention was to say that there are many "Adventurous" people that choose to take these caculated risks. Life is too short to stay on the porch. Daily, people release adrenalin into their system by doing daring things like, Mtn climbing, Bungee jumping, Base jumping, Rodeo riding, drag racing, White water kyaking......etc.

Yep, and the big differences in those examples versus doing 160 on public roads are (1) those activities are legal, and (2) they only endanger the participant, not innocent unwilling victims.

By your logic, Joe Sixpack should be able to go soak his brain in booze down at the local watering hole and then drive home with impunity. Hey, why not? Life is too short to worry about the risks of driving drunk. Right? Unfortunately, too many people stupidly take that risk, and innocent people wind up dead as a result.

I mourn for motorcyclists killed in unfortunate accidents. But, honestly, I have little sympathy for those who die from their own blind stupidity. I stand by my statement: The original poster's riding was stupid and irresponsible. Frankly, for his own good, I wish the cops had caught him. It might slow him down and ultimately save his life.

This is amazing. 160mph on a public road is just plain stupid. I'm not talking about the rider, I'm talking about the danger the rider is presenting to everyone else.

Hey, my VFR will hit an indicated 135 or so before I run out of courage and hit the brake. On the front straight at TWS. Jack's points are of course spot on, regarding track riding.

700 pounds of motorcycle and rider hitting, say, a pickup truck broadside would likely bend the truck in half. The rider would be dead, of course, the bike shredded, but the truck inhabitants would also likely be dead of very badly damaged (a friend hit a pickup on his BMW, running around 55 or less by the time he hit the truck. Hit about a foot behind the cab, driver side. I saw the photos. The truck AND the bike were totaled. My friend almost was.)

It's not about the idiot on the bike running those speeds, it's about the danger he presents to the public.

Take it to the track, Bubba.

Yes, of COURSE I've gone too fast on public roads. And frankly, running 100 is just as stupid as running 160.

I'll go ahead and call the Squid a Squid. Lord.

PassTheGravy said:
train460 said:
leading a group of us . . .

. . . i kick it up, passing 160 mph and climbing . . .

guess you didn't read my post above.
didn't pass anybody at triple digit speeds.
i bet u don't even do the speed limit do you?
i used to be a person that would not go faster that the speed limit. thought those people that rode fast was crazy. now i try to go just alittle bit faster than the cages around me, don't matter if the speed limit is 55 and they are doing 75.
try getting dragged under a womens car for over 180' while watching her front wheel turning while thinking that u are going to get run over.
after that u tend to be leary of cars blowing past you.

Well said, Mark.

One other thought. If a guy has to go that fast to get the adreniline flowing, he probably bought the wrong bike.

PassTheGravy said:
If a guy has to go that fast to get the adreniline flowing, he probably bought the wrong bike.

[anti-flame suit on]

Men, in general, use adrenaline to overcompensate for other things anyway.... :roll:

[/uh, I'll keep the suit on for now...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back