• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tenere will not start. The saga begins...

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
As my middle son (son B) had done many years ago. My youngest (son C) has now decided to buy a motorcycle. He's very excited and talks frequently about him and me riding together and exploring Texas and beyond.

Son B had the same thoughts and talked about the same glorious adventures. As I wanted to take part in his excitement. I purchased a used 2014 Super Tenera. Son B and I did do some riding together. But, after a few poor decisions on his part. He gave up riding. I don't think we ever rode more the 100 miles together.

I continued to ride for a few years. Took a trip to Big Bend. Did a loop around Texas on a camping adventure. Then COVID hit and planted me at home for several years. I didn't ride at all. The most the Super T got was a trickle charger and a few laps around the neighborhood. Never far enough to burn up a tank of gas.

Back to son C. Being the supportive father I am. I do not wish to hinder his excitement for the road. I decided to dust off the Tenere and get it ready for some riding. Son C is picking up his bike on the 2nd. He wants me there where we can share our first ride.

The last time I tried to fire up the Tenere, nearly three (or more) months ago, the battery was exhausted and wouldn't take a charge. Replacing it, I started over. No issues. The bike started, not as promptly as it used to. But it fired up all the same. As before, drove it around the block a few times and parked it.

With March 2nd only weeks away. Saturday morning I pulled the cover off the Super T, put the key in, flipped the switch, and... nothing. She cranked over. And over. And over. Not a puff, not a fart, not even a hiccup.

Somewhat disappointed. I broke out the repair manual hoping to find the answer in a few short minutes of reading. As you most likely guessed, it doesn't work like that. Spent another two hours jacking around with something I've no experience with. I've been an auto mechanic when I was younger and do own a fair amount of tools. However, cracking into the motorcycle comes with some amount of anxiety for me.

Two more hours passed and I discovered I had spark, but the tank contained about 1 gallon of rancid gas. Cool... Pump that crap out, adding some fresh. Should be fine. Boy, how I thought I was high on the hog. Another hour passed and I had the key in the on position ready to flick the old starter. Crank, crank, crank... About now my French kicked in.

It was now crystal clear there was a fuel delivery issue. About this time, I noticed there wasn't a sound coming from the fuel pump when the key moved to the on position. As I recall, the pump would spin up to pressure and then shut off.

Pulling up the tank to access the fuel pump connections. I found 12+ volts and good ground. My "cup half empty side" started whispering in my ear that this repair was going to include many dollar signs. I browsed Partzilla for the pump and gave birth to a cow when I saw the price was nearly $500.

Lucky for me I have a wonderful and smart wife. She set to browsing the web finding a fuel pump that comes in under $50. It is a universal pump but does list the Super T as one of the many many bikes listed. We have it ordered and it's due on Thursday.

I wish you luck, how does the fuel filter in the tank look? Probably pretty nasty. I'm more comfortable working on my motorcycles than I am my cars. Cars are so much more complicated than motorcycles are and for the most part things are easier to get at on the bike.

I've had pretty good luck with removing the pump and back flushing and forward flushing it with carb spray and an air nozzle. If you can force cleaner both ways through the thing you can usually get them freed up and turning again.

I only say this because, in my opinion, the factory pump is surely better quality than a budget aftermarket one and it's a shame to discard a gummed up OEM pump that can be put back into service.

I've had pretty good luck with removing the pump and back flushing and forward flushing it with carb spray and an air nozzle. If you can force cleaner both ways through the thing you can usually get them freed up and turning again.

I only say this because, in my opinion, the factory pump is surely better quality than a budget aftermarket one and it's a shame to discard a gummed up OEM pump that can be put back into service.
I've not removed the pump yet waiting for the replacement to arrive. But I do have two cans of carb clean and will give it a good work over before tossing the pump in the trash can.

add some seafoam or stabil to the fresh gas?

It is ironic on the timing of this post. Tonight I went to get on my Super Tenere and it would crank and crank and crank, but no start. Then it threw code 19 on the dash along with the check engine light. After some quick Google searching the consensus was to "spray some lube down into the ignition, work the key a bunch, and jiggle the wires." :shrug: Well, I don't know which one of the tricks worked, but after doing that very complicated procedure, it fired right up.

I hope your adventure is as smooth as it can be.

I had the dreaded Code 19 on my WR250R. The flushing thing works but it may come back again and it may not. Code 19 came back for me at an in opportune time. Somewhere I found a fix where you short the two wires together that go to the ignition switch and it will never happen again.

Last edited:
It is ironic on the timing of this post. Tonight I went to get on my Super Tenere and it would crank and crank and crank, but no start. Then it threw code 19 on the dash along with the check engine light. After some quick Google searching the consensus was to "spray some lube down into the ignition, work the key a bunch, and jiggle the wires." :shrug: Well, I don't know which one of the tricks worked, but after doing that very complicated procedure, it fired right up.

I hope your adventure is as smooth as it can be.
The same happened to me on a ride. Luckily I had a small can of WD40 in my tire kite.

Super Tenere hard start issue? Haven't had one for a while, used to be an issue. Happened to me a few times. Always started, eventually.
53 pages worth.

Scroll to post 10 here for a permanent fix. Works on all Yamaha's that have a Code 19 problem because of the ignition switch.

Wow first I've read of this issue and I follow most Super Tenere forums. This is exactly what happen to my Tenere last year riding in France. Luckily a knowledgable mechanic at Team Yamaha Menduni in Grenoble was able to diagnosis and repair it for a reasonable cost. Their Yamaha computer was not compatible with North America bikes so he had to do it without the convenience of codes.

I've wondered how long it would take for bad gas to foul an FI bike.
Seems to be about 3 months.
That's about twice as long as a carb'd bike.

There was a period of time I wasn't riding the BMW much so I would put gas preservative in it each time after filling the 6gal tank. It was a month+ between fill ups so I was hoping to stave off troubles.

On many FI cars, there is a procedure to hook up an external fuel cleaner in a pressurized can to put concentrated detergent to the fuel injectors. If the fuel pump cleaning/replacement doesn't yield success, maybe a shot at the injectors will do it.

I've wondered how long it would take for bad gas to foul an FI bike.
Seems to be about 3 months.
That's about twice as long as a carb'd bike.
My Tenere has gone as long as 9 months with regular ol gas sitting in it and it fired right up. No battery tender, no fuel additives, just sitting in the garage. I've had regular gas mixed with pre-mix last over 2 years. Both were just gas station gas with who knows how much ethanol mixed into it.

I think there are quite a few more variables other than just time that plays into it, though.

Removed the OEM pump to find it was frozen. 1/2 can of carb clean and a few clunks with the handle of a screwdriver got it moving again.

I found a replacement fuel pump strainer and gasket.

All back together and running.

we're back in busniess.

That’s a great final outcome. Without a doubt, your OEM pump is higher quality than an inexpensive replacement would have been.

Removed the OEM pump to find it was frozen. 1/2 can of carb clean and a few clunks with the handle of a screwdriver got it moving again.

I found a replacement fuel pump strainer and gasket.

All back together and running.

we're back in busniess.
Who Ra! Happy ending, now get out there and burn some gas :pirate:

Keeps us posted over time. I would be curious to know if this a long or short term fix. Thanks

Back