• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

I'm back!

It has been a long time since I sold my '07 (see page 40 for pics of my "office furniture"). It was a great bike but life got in the way and since it was sitting more than moving it went on to a new home. I have missed it ever since but that changes today. I'm picking up a new to me low mile GSX-FA this evening. It needs a fresh set of sneakers mounted, fresh fluids and I'll pull the swingarm, linkage, and head bearings to give it some fresh grease a but that's it. Now that my wife is riding her own bike, I hope to wear this bike out rather than see it gather dust.

General question, Michelin Road 5 or Road 5 GT tires? My gut is telling the bike doesn't need the stiffer casing of the GT but I've been out of the loop for a long time.

Now that I have the bike in the garage, the wheels are out getting new skins and I was all set to take the small factory trunk off and toss on my Givi V46 trunk to get set for a shakedown ride but the V46 is a monokey system and the factory Suzuki plate is a monolock. It looks like the locking components for the monolock can be unbolted. Does anyone know of a conversion kit or parts list to change it to work with a monokey system or will I have to go with a whole new mount? The factory small trunk is pretty useless for me.
20210804_082933.jpg

I have the Holeshot rear rack. Much cleaner and lighter. Givi case adapters bolt right on. I only use a top case so didn’t have to relocate the rear turn signals. Had Givi side carrier and didn’t like the turn signals hanging from the license plate light/reflector and didn’t care for the side bulk of the hard bags. When removed the side carrier stuck out like a sore thumb. Much happier with just the rear rack with adapter that is clean looking and less obvious when the trunk is removed when not needed.

Just a few notes here on my experience with the 2016 1250 Bandit. I bought my brand new 0 miles Bandit in September of 2017. :trust: I broke it in right and it ran great. 50 mpg routinely. I soon put the Delkevic full system on and did the Dale Walker air box mod. Removed the PAIR junk and left the O2 sensor attached(I'm a real believer in them). The bike ran great, better then I expected, and the power improved everywhere and still got 50 mpg. Never over heated or "rattled".

The stock gearing was too low, IMO. And the speedometer lied terribly. When I put the 19t sprocket on the speed lined up with the gauges. Curiously, the rpms and speedo didn't change readings at all. But I knew that I was going the speed indicated.

Weight? Lost 20 lbs or more when I removed the center stand together with the full exhaust. As mentioned above I simply put the center stand back on when doing maintenance.

I loved that bike and the only reason I sold it, at 19,000 miles, was a dealer in Oklahoma had a new leftover 2016!! I sold mine in 2020 and then immediately called them and they had just sold the Bandit!

Attachments

• DSCN0664.JPG
    DSCN0664.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN0648.JPG
    DSCN0648.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 197
I had been talking to the Oklahoma dealer and had come to an agreement on price and so forth on their new 2016. I had planned to take everything off my 2016 and transfer it to the new 2016. So much for plans. I really loved that bike.

Recently replaced the sprockets and chain on my 2007 Suzuki 1250s. A helper squeeze the clutch lever while i had the side cover off. The fluid squirted out. I've tried to bleed it and no fluid comes out of the nipple. There is fluid in the reservoir. Any Ideas.

Thanks done that and no fluid will come out of the nipple on the slave cylinder. Used a mityvac and still no fluid coming out. The reservior on the handlebar never lowers.I guess I can try reverse bleed next. This is a little more than frustrating.

Unscrew the nipple out and pull the lever slowly with the clutch master cylinder cover off.
Thanks done that and no fluid will come out of the nipple on the slave cylinder. Used a mityvac and still no fluid coming out. The reservior on the handlebar never lowers.I guess I can try reverse bleed next. This is a little more than frustrating.

Is anything blocking the hole at the bottom inside the handlebar reservoir? Check with cover off. Maybe have a safety pin to poke hole just in case there is a dirt blockage.

Pretty amazing that no one has said anything in this forum for 20 months. I guess the world has moved on from these bikes. I'm going for a little ride on mine in an hour or so. 1-200 miles. Still love the Bandit, and it's still bulletproof.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
In England, “booster shot” is spelled “borchestershire shot.”

Pretty amazing that no one has said anything in this forum for 20 months. I guess the world has moved on from these bikes. I'm going for a little ride on mine in an hour or so. 1-200 miles. Still love the Bandit, and it's still bulletproof.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
In England, “booster shot” is spelled “borchestershire shot.”
I traded mine in 2017 and wish I had it now.

I like looking through old threads like this and thinking about how much the industry changed since the early 2000s. Bikes were so barebones back then and carburetors were just getting phased out, and nowadays they’re getting so much more reliable and powerful with tons of great features like cornering abs and radar cruise control.

It really makes me appreciate how good our options are and I think we’re in the golden era of motorcycles. Imo there’s no point in holding on to something like an old bandit unless it’s nostalgic to you.

I like looking through old threads like this and thinking about how much the industry changed since the early 2000s. Bikes were so barebones back then and carburetors were just getting phased out, and nowadays they’re getting so much more reliable and powerful with tons of great features like cornering abs and radar cruise control.

It really makes me appreciate how good our options are and I think we’re in the golden era of motorcycles. Imo there’s no point in holding on to something like an old bandit unless it’s nostalgic to you.
Not Today Satan!

I am not a fan of all the electro-gizmos on new cars and especially bikes. I want an analog experience. I want to feel something when I'm riding. I also don't want to have to be going 150+ to feel it.

esides, I'm pretty certain that electonic aids have been making new drivers worse over the last few decades. I know lots of people who can not back up a car now without a reverse camera. They can't park it without warning beeps. Etc, etc. We are replacing our hard-won physical skills with electronics and its not making us better drivers.

Rode my 2009 1250 Bandit this morning. It fired up immediately as it always does. Bought it used with 650 miles on it. It's been an ultrareliable bike with limited maintenance: 31,000 miles, original spark plugs, valves never checked, original chain and sprockets. Still runs great.
It's not worth much so it's a keeper.

Note that this Bandit thread is now at page 370. The popularity of the Bandit built TWT into site it is.

Rode my 2009 1250 Bandit this morning. It fired up immediately as it always does. Bought it used with 650 miles on it. It's been an ultrareliable bike with limited maintenance: 31,000 miles, original spark plugs, valves never checked, original chain and sprockets. Still runs great.
It's not worth much so it's a keeper.

Note that this Bandit thread is now at page 370. The popularity of the Bandit built TWT into site it is.
I had a 2009 1250S and is the reason I joined this site.

Not Today Satan!

I am not a fan of all the electro-gizmos on new cars and especially bikes. I want an analog experience. I want to feel something when I'm riding. I also don't want to have to be going 150+ to feel it.

esides, I'm pretty certain that electonic aids have been making new drivers worse over the last few decades. I know lots of people who can not back up a car now without a reverse camera. They can't park it without warning beeps. Etc, etc. We are replacing our hard-won physical skills with electronics and its not making us better drivers.

Totally agree on the last point with cars and the average US driver, but there’s no arguing modern bikes are better than ever by a long shot. If you still have a landline and don’t like “gizmos” plenty of them don’t have electronic assists. Honda even still makes a 2023 xr650l if you want real old school!

And that’s coming from a guy who’s restored quite a few 70s-2000s carbd bikes and did a saddlesore and tail of the dragon on a daily driver 90’s nighthawk (check the profile pic) 2 years ago! I’ve owned dozens of bikes and didn’t even have fuel injection until #7, only kept the nighthawk because it’s sentimental.

Totally agree on the last point with cars and the average US driver, but there’s no arguing modern bikes are better than ever by a long shot. If you still have a landline and don’t like “gizmos” plenty of them don’t have electronic assists. Honda even still makes a 2023 xr650l if you want real old school!

And that’s coming from a guy who’s restored quite a few 70s-2000s carbd bikes and did a saddlesore and tail of the dragon on a daily driver 90’s nighthawk (check the profile pic) 2 years ago! I’ve owned dozens of bikes and didn’t even have fuel injection until #7, only kept the nighthawk because it’s sentimental.
Oh yeah. Newer bikes are way better than even just a few years ago. I just don't like the feeling I get from them as much as I do from a bike (or car) with no rider aids. There's no question that they are faster and safer in every aspect though.

I do like fuel injection. Its nice to not have to fiddle with carbs.

I would have to disagree on the latest bikes with stability assist, wheelie lift, traction control etc. I prefer a bike without all that. As long as it is fuel injected, I am good.

Back