• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant edit my post. I will be taking an NC700, plan to ride it there and back. I will be camping most nights. 6 granola bars, coffee and 6 mountain house meals and I am good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Goyko, Steve03636 & misterk, looking forward to meeting you guys.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Always have room for one more, Goyko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live east of Dallas near Wills Point. I will try to come to the BBQ and planning on the 19th. I've done the entire CDR before on a BMW f800gs. If I go on this trip I will be on my KLR 650 with an Enduro sidecar. You might cuss me for being slow, but you'll love me for the amount of gas I can carry. And tools, and food and water, and so on. I'm not sure I'll make the trip but may be able to answer questions or help out in some ways. There are some tough spots but for the most part it's not a hard ride.

I live east of Dallas near Wills Point. I will try to come to the BBQ and planning on the 19th. I've done the entire CDR before on a BMW f800gs. If I go on this trip I will be on my KLR 650 with an Enduro sidecar. You might cuss me for being slow, but you'll love me for the amount of gas I can carry. And tools, and food and water, and so on. I'm not sure I'll make the trip but may be able to answer questions or help out in some ways. There are some tough spots but for the most part it's not a hard ride.

Come on and join us. We'd love to hear your trip advice.

For anyone in north Texas that wants to do this ride, let's meet at hard Eight in Roanoke on Saturday Nov. 19 at 10:30 AM to go over logistics per Trail Boss' OP. Dualsport rider has a map and we can talk about getting to the trailhead, accommodations, and whatever else comes up.
Hard Eight 205 S Oak St, Roanoke, TX 76262

Me and Jampad are talking about a shakedown ride to part of the OAT and OK section of the TAT. If we do it in Nov., I can only do a Friday-Saturday trip. If you want to ride more you can.

The monthly TWT Pie Run is the same day. Is there anyway to combine the two and meet before of after the Pie Run in Celina?

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111960

Thanks!

New idea just came to my mind. If the weather allow us, we could meet up at red river motorcycle trails. We can hang out over there, grab a bite, and ride on a dirt a little bit.

The monthly TWT Pie Run is the same day. Is there anyway to combine the two and meet before of after the Pie Run in Celina?

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111960

Thanks!

In the interest of time and so we can meet each other and more riders, I'm taking Simmons1 advice. The Pie Run meet up it is. I can't do a shake down run until December, but if anyone wants to get together w/o me before then, by all means do it. See you in Celina.

Celina Pie Run it is! Actually, closer to my house :)

I rode the entire CDR on a BMW f800gs. It was fine. Smaller would have been more fun sometimes, but most of it is pretty high speed and smooth surfaces.

Thanks for the info.

Did you take the big bike by-passes's?

Thanks for the info.

Did you take the big bike by-passes's?

Bypasses? We don't need no stinking bypasses!

Seriously, the only really challenging places consisted of wet New Mexico Red Mud, which is horrible on any bike, and a snowmobile track which was an old railroad bed and was deep course black sand. It was in Montana or Wyoming, IIRC. We bypassed that after attempting it. When you come to the Red mud, you must just wait or call it a day because you will go down over and over. Also, N of Del Norte there was some sand and a novice rider fell and broke his leg, which was bizarre because he was going about 3 mph. We might have bypassed a couple of miles of that sand after his accident.

We also took a bypass that turned out to be very challenging. We took it because of a Road Closed sign. It was a little creek with a path along side, and the First Nations People had blocked it with boulders to screw with the BLM. At the end, we came top a barb wire fence and a no trespassing sign. After a minute, some First Nations people came and we chatted for a spell and then I said "May we pass through your land?" They said yes and let us through. Feeling bold and proud, I promptly busted my *** on some New Mexico Red Mud. Later in the trip, we figured out that those Road Closed signs are just suggestions. A lot of the road closed signs were for logging. We would go on through and in all but one case, the loggers either waved us on or had us wait for a minute. One group used the big claw to move a bunch of logs out of our way. We did come to one group of loggers that would not let us through, and we had a bunch of city roads to ride instead of a very short gravel section. It was annoying.

11am is what the Pie Run thread says..... I may shoot for 10:30... Should be nice and chilly :)

Cool. I'll be there at 10:30 also. Coming on my blue GS ��

I am so n Houston and planning on doing this. If we can pulled up I sing in to go in your bus.

If there is a group of 8 riders wanting to ride fully supported, from silver city to Co springs and back, I have a huge metro bus that can carry 8 riders, 10 bikes, and gear. We raced out of it with the CMRA for a couple of years and if you like air mattresses and oriental rugs for furniture it is not a bad way to camp either. Operating cost is about $1 per mile so it would take about $150 per rider based on a 2013 mile trip total, for the bus only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back