• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Labor Day Weekend Escape - Colorado

Reaction score
The trip is done and I am home in the routine daily grind once again. The duration was three days with a bit over 1,900 miles added to the odometer. I'll post up the rest of the ride report over the next day or so.

Prelude

With summer winding down, school starting back up for the kiddo, and work going full throttle without a weekend off in the past six weeks, I decided it was time for me to make a break and get on the road. I spoke with a couple of riding buddies about going west. Both were interested and one committed.

So the plan was to ride some twisty mountain roads and camp in cooler temperatures than what we have here in Texas. Beyond that, not much more planning except for the usual “don’t get hurt” and “be safe” from the family and friends.

As for a destination; my riding budding and I had decided to ride from D/FW to Amarillo and open up a map to figure that out at lunch. We’d then plug in our destination for the day into our GPS units and set off on the adventure.

T-Minus 1 Day

Sometimes you’re the pigeon, and sometimes you’re the statue.

In my pre-trip activities, I looked the trusty steed over and found the rear tire had a foreign screw in it. “Great”. Then a close inspection of the front revealed some cracks in the tread where the blocks meet the casing of the tire. “Awesome”. The bad thing is these tires still have several thousand miles of tread left. The decision was made to replace both, and after a trip to the dealership and five “c” notes later, I have new shoes for the bike.

Why replace the tires you ask? Calculated risk. I have a wife and kid that I have to think about while engaging in risky activities. Mrs. Tormmelslager doesn’t give me any grief when I embark on a ride, and for her peace of mind as well as mine the new tires wasn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The trip could probably have been done on the old tires just fine, but that's one less thing for worry and Mrs. Trommelslager will rest easier knowing the machine is tip top. Besides, the old tires are here available for battle another day.

And as it turns out, today was also the day that I learned that the trip would be done solo. There's that darned pigeon again! More on this in the next post.

20160901_1416451_zpstod2kyjo.jpg

the beemer about to have new shoes put on

The bike is loaded. Off to bed to catch some rest before an early morning departure.

Day 1 - Friday Sept 2nd
Fort Worth, TX to Lake Isabel , CO
671 miles

The grand departure. Well, not really that grand. As fate would have it as stated above, my riding partner for this trip (Crasher X) was unable to make it due to last minute work obligations. He was disappointed and gave me the okay with several “you stink” remarks, which I took as to mean “enjoy yourself and take care”.

I left the house at 5:30am to allow myself an easy escape from the D/FW metromess. It was smooth sailing out of town and up to Wichita Falls on 287. There were some showers west of Wichita Falls and the rain and gloomy weather reflected my mood. I was really disappointed that CrasherX couldn’t come along on the journey. His company is always enjoyable and we ride pretty much at the same level. In addition, I had the nagging voice in the back of my head that said “your being selfish, you should be staying home and helping with the domestic duties” as well as “what will my wife and kid do if something happens to me while I’m out here playing”.

Up around Childress, there was a really black cloud on the horizon and I saw several bikers pulled over donning their rain gear and visiting at a gas station. It was about time for a fuel stop, so I pulled in, topped off and then went over and had a chat with a few guys riding some very road seasoned Harleys. They were from Louisiana and headed to a rally in the four corners area. As I was talking to these guys, that nagging voice in my head was saying “this is a bad plan; Labor day weekend and rallies will mean finding camping somewhat difficult on this on the fly trip”. Oh how little did I know… We bid each other a good ride and off into the soup I went.

I arrived in Amarillo at lunchtime. While I was up there, I made a stop at the firing site where we did a fireworks show for the 4th of July, and found traces of our being there a few months back. After a quick photo op, I went across the street and had lunch at Chick-Fil-A and opened up the map. Up to this point, Amarillo was the only known destination.

20160902_1120591_zpswtyg6gpr.jpg

a left over e-match for commercial display fireworks

During lunch I decided to set a course for Trinidad, CO, and then do a mood check when I arrived. The ride out of Amarillo was fine, and after lunch I found myself finally starting to unwind mentally and getting into the rhythm of adding numbers to the odometer.

After grabbing some fuel in Dalhart, I started the trusty beemer up and saw the LAMPF! warning on the console. “Fabulous.” Just across the street there happened to be a NAPA store, so I rode over and went in to find that they did not have the lamp I needed to replace the low beam head lamp that just gave up. No worries, onward! Traffic was real heavy in the construction zone, and once out of Dalhart we were clicking off the miles again.

I crossed the New Mexico border and made the trek up to Trinidad. The wind on that stretch of road took some off of the fun meter, but I still was enjoying the ride and scenery. The weather had cleared up between Amarillo and Dalhart, and the sun was now beginning to wake up my sweat glands. As I got closer to Colorado, the clouds once again shielded the sun and the temps dropped back into the comfortable zone.

20160902_130435_zpsemlsif6a.jpg

the obligatory state line photo op

After crossing into Colorado, the black clouds looming ahead were ominous. I knew that the bike and I would be getting a good shower soon, and was correct in my assumption. As I got closer to the storm cell, I saw cloud to ground lighting. “Okay, we’ll just pull off over here and let this pass” since this fat boy doesn’t do lightning. But as my luck would have it, the cell was heading in my direction. So, let’s plow through and continue onward.

20160902_144234_zpsu7ti3nk7.jpg

Colorado state line with the storm ahead

As I began to ride into the storm cell, I felt like the captain of the Andrea Gail steaming off into the hurricane. The rain was heavy, the wind was strong, and it was a cold wet ride through that stretch of highway. As I was in the heaviest of it, I chuckled to myself when thinking of the famous quote from Winston Churchill; “when you are going through ****, just keep going”. The worst part of the whole ordeal was my helmet visor fogging up to the point of not being able to see, requiring it being open enough to let a few of those cold drops hit my face.

After riding that several mile stretch for what seemed like an hour, the intensity let up and the skies began to brighten once again. With the storm behind me, I started to warm up and dry out some. This was a great test of my new dry bag, and my riding gear affectionately dubbed the “super suit” kept me dry. Well, almost dry. Even the best water proof zippers won’t keep rain out when they are open. The new tires kept the bike stuck to the road and the fun meter started climbing once again as the skies continued to brighten.

I rode up to Colorado City where I made a fuel stop and asked the clerk at the gas station where some camp sites would be. She sent me up the road to a camp site in the San Isabel National Forest at Lake Isabel. The road leading up into the San Isabel National Forest was a primer for what lay ahead in the scenery and twisty roads department.

20160902_164822_zpsxl8hgpyq.jpg

San Isabel National Forest

Several miles into the forest, the campground entrance appeared on the left. I rolled in and asked the park attendant about available camping sites. Her response didn’t seem promising, but she sent me to the South Camping Site where I was able to grab a spot. It was good to get off the bike and stretch the legs out. I set up camp with plenty of daylight left and just sat back and enjoyed the solitude of the forest and mountains. As the sun began to set, I laid down, zipped up the tent and went to sleep.

20160902_174252_zpskw3sibjp.jpg

my home for the night

At the point of crawling in the tent, I was the only soul in the campground. That changed later in the evening when two more families arrived and set their campsites up. I didn’t bother to investigate, I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Later in the night, I awoke to something periodically thumping the tent. “What the heck is that? Bears?? Nah…” Back to sleep. Sometime in the early morning it had begun to rain. I awoke to the thumping sound on the tent again, but the sound of the raindrops hitting the rain fly lulled me back to into my slumber.

Tomorrow the real adventure begins! Let’s get on with the riding and grab a lamp somewhere along the way.

Two questions.

1. $500 for a wheels off the bike tire change????
2. Where exactly is this sign? I never see a sign when coming into the state from this direction and am always looking for it. I only got my picture by turning around on the way out heading south out of Durango.

1. $500 for a wheels off the bike tire change????

Yeah. Actually just a little over. :giveup: Two tires, two stems, mounting & balancing, and I carried off the old tires. Had I not been in the eleventh hour before embarking, I would have passed and had the brown truck or red/white/blue truck bring me tires.

2. Where exactly is this sign? I never see a sign when coming into the state from this direction and am always looking for it. I only got my picture by turning around on the way out heading south out of Durango.

This particular sign is on the Raton Pass (US87-I25) at the Colorado/New Mexico border. Trinidad is the next city in Colorado to give you some bearing.

Alright, let's move along...

Day 2 – Saturday Sept 3rd
Lake Isabel, CO to La Veta, CO
587 miles

The sun came up and I woke to bright and sunny morning. The air was cool and crisp, and the families that had joined me overnight were getting up and starting to move about. I started the chore of breaking camp and preparing for the day’s riding.

While taking my trash to the dumpster, I had a nice chat with the family that set up closest to me. Ken and Christi were from the Fort Collins area and we chatted about riding and bikes in general. Ken asked me where I was headed, and I told him that I really didn’t have a direction and that I was taking it as it came. He opened up a map and pointed me in the direction of the Great Sand Dunes National Park and the Lake City area, saying that the scenery is really spectacular.

“Sounds good to me”, and off I went in search of a big pile of sand. The ride out of the campsite was gorgeous. Nice windy roads and awesome pavement was all the temptation I needed to scrub in the chicken strips on the new tires.

20160903_084202_zpsvk1tnijj.jpg

As I came off the pass and into the valley, I was struck by the majesty of our land and how much our country has to offer. “We darn sure ain’t in Texas anymore!” It has been a number of years since I have been to Colorado. It was pretty then, but that had been from the seat in a semi-truck. To ride it on a motorcycle just enhanced the whole experience and I found the fun meter on the peg once again.

20160903_091137_zpsms0n5gv4.jpg

20160903_092654_zpsa8clml4b.jpg

20160903_103030_zpsfahnhaep.jpg

Upon entering the valley from Poncha Springs on highway 225, I found myself in the scrub brush of what I would term “no man’s land”. The ride from the Rio Grande National Forest to the entrance of the Great Dunes National Park was laser straight, long and unremarkable. Somewhere along the way I passed a guy on a bicycle that had canvas panniers on each corner, and a decent sized tail bag behind the seat. He was peddling down the highway and obviously on an extended trip based on his luggage. There’s no doubt that this guy was a tough hombre.

By the time I arrived at the National Park, I was pretty much bored from the miles of straight nothing, took the obligatory picture at the entrance and make tracks to the Lake City area. The sand dunes themselves are an impressive sight, though. The enormity of the dunes is humbling and spectacular in their own way. Had there been more time available, I would have entered the park and done some exploring, but I really needed to keep moving toward my next camping site.

20160903_131208_zpsm4j4jvcv.jpg

The ride out from the dunes and toward the next mountain range was more of the same scrub brush and straight roads. Coming out of the valley and into the next mountain range improved the scenery and provided more of those fun and twisty roads.

20160903_144230_zpsudwkdhku.jpg

Riding out of South Fork back into the Rio Grande National Forest was pretty. The quality of the roads impressed me and even being a holiday weekend, the amount of traffic was less than I had anticipated. Continuing on 149 up to Creede yielded some of the best scenery so far this trip. However, those dark skies were once again looming in the direction I was going, and before I reached Lake City I was in the thick of the mountain rains again.

20160903_152720_zpsm6nsspsr.jpg

Back at the Lake Isabel campsite, the couple that had steered me in this direction said that camping should be easier to come by in this part of the state. I was optimistic that my “take it as it comes” approach to this trip would work out. That optimism was soon drown as I discovered that the Lake City area didn’t have a campsite available. All isn’t lost, Colorado is a big place and there should be some place to pitch a tent ahead.

Circling back to the head lamp issue, during the ride I would stop at the auto supply stores that were along my route. My search so far had been futile, and mid afternoon I still didn’t had a low beam head light working. This little issue would become a big worry later on.

From Lake City I rode into Gunnison in search of what was to be an elusive camp space and head lamp. There was a storm system in this region and the rain went from moderate to heavy along the route. Even with the foul weather, I could tell this part of the state was beautiful, and wished I was seeing it in better conditions. Another detail I was disappointed about was not being able to take good pictures along the rainy stretches.

20160903_154504_zpskta5iyrn.jpg

In Gunnison, I took a look at the situation and made the assessment that my best option was to head for the valley. The weather system stretched back toward Telluride and Silverton, and the skies were clear east of the range. It was getting late in the afternoon, but I had enough time to make Monte Vista before the sun went to bed for the evening, and I felt certain that I could find a room there.

The ride back in the valley was pretty as the shadow slowly rose up the western side of the mountains on my left. The fading sun cast a golden light that made the mountains glow in a glorious way. I had been riding since 9:00am and I was beginning to get tired. There was still a couple of dozen miles to Monte Vista, and I knew that it was easily reachable before darkness settled in.

There was a small campsite along the highway, so I wheeled in to take a look for a site to pitch my tent. None available. This came as a surprise to me since I was in the valley of scrub brush and agricultural fields. “Oh well, Monte Vista isn’t far away”.

Arriving in Monte Vista was a relief. I had made it just about sunset and stopped for gas and a drink. Across the street I noticed a guy and a bicycle next to a building. He was kneeled down eating a burger or something and looking at his phone. “Holy cow, that’s the dude I saw earlier today.” After topping off and getting geared back up to set off in the search of a room, I looked in the direction of the bicyclist and he had vanished. Had he been there, I would have rode over to exchange pleasantries for a minute.

I then searched out a room for the evening. My search was in vein. There wasn’t a room to be had, not even in the ‘by the hour’ type places. “Perfect”.
The gravity of the situation was rapidly becoming apparent. Being in this region over Labor Day Weekend without a plan and reservations isn’t the best idea I’ve had. Well, I’m here now so all I can do is make the best of it and keep on rolling.

Alamosa was the next town down the road and I started heading that direction. The headlight issue was still present since I hadn’t been able to find that illusive lamp, and now that it was dark I was hopeful that at least the one working lamp I had would stay lit until I could stop for the evening. If it went out, I knew I was cooked.

Rolling into Alamosa was a relief. While I was feeling my way down the highway on one headlight (isn’t that a song?), I pulled up the list of lodging options on Doofus. Doofus is what I named the GPS unit since periodically it will want me to turn in the middle of a bridge or route me forty miles out of the way to go three. The list was fairly long and the cautious optimism of finding a place was once again present.

I stopped in the Best Western to find that there weren’t any rooms available, and the helpful clerk said that she just had called the other hotels in Alamosa and all were booked up. The city was hosting a classic car show and they had over six hundred entrants for the event. “Swell”.

It was scaring the heck out of 10:00pm by now, so I called Mrs. Trommelslager and told her that I was going to make a break toward home. I was carrying a Delorme InReach and was leaving a map of bread crumbs for her and my kiddo to watch. Since she knew I would be camping, I didn’t want her to worry about my movements after dark and to let her know why I was still in motion. She told me to hold up and she started making calls to find a place to lay down for the night. She called me back about ten minutes later and said that she’d been able to secure a room in La Veta, adding that she had also called and spoke with the owner to confirm that I would in fact have a room when I arrived.

La Veta was about 70 miles from where I was sitting, so I geared up and headed back into the darkness to face a mountain pass in the pitch black. While I was stopped, fatigue had made itself known and I was feeling exhausted. Riding in the cool night air didn’t do much to keep the eye lids from trying to seal themselves shut. The previous two nights of not getting a good night’s rest coupled with long days in the saddle had finally caught up with me.

I reached North La Veta Pass and backed off my pace some so that I could make it across the pass upright. Still very sleepy, the curves started to come and go. One by one, I was getting closer to my final stopping point for the night. As I went along, I fought the urge to open the throttle and rush the last segment to La Veta. That was the best decision I made all day!

Riding over the pass and in my half conscious condition, a brown furry streak went across my light beam about ten feet in front of me. There’s something funny about adrenaline. That stuff can flip a person around in a split second! From the moment I saw that critter cross my path until about an hour after I laid down at the hotel, I was no longer tired and getting any sleep was out of the equation. No, it was nothing but alert for me until I put the side stand down in La Veta.

After a tense ride in the pitch black across the pass, Doofus turned me off the highway onto a gravel road that led into La Veta. As I turned off the highway, my thoughts went immediately into the dread of landing at a real flea bag motel and cohabitating with rodents and roaches for the night. I arrived intact at the La Veta Inn, knowing that I was lucky to have arrived in one piece. Ryan, the owner, met me at the front desk and was very prompt in getting me set up for my room. After a brief chat I found my room, unloaded the bike and hauled my gear in.

The room at the La Veta Inn was unexpectedly nice and clean. The bed had a phenomenal mattress and it was obvious that the owners had taken pride in their hotel. After taking stock in my accommodations, I then settled down in bed and basically passed out from the long day’s ride.

Sidenote: Yes, there were a lot of things that I could have done different on this day. Hind sight is 20/20 and it is easy to look back and find the better options. However, when one is in the thick of it…

I’ll go over the “should have’s” and “could haves” learned from this trip at the end of the report.

Now for the badly needed rest. What will I do tomorrow??

This particular sign is on the Raton Pass (US87-I25) at the Colorado/New Mexico border. Trinidad is the next city in Colorado to give you some bearing.

I didn't believe you, so went to google maps and street view. I can't tell you how many times I've ridden and driven through that pass and missed that sign every single time. Thanks!

I didn't believe you, so went to google maps and street view. I can't tell you how many times I've ridden and driven through that pass and missed that sign every single time. Thanks!

I can see how you missed it. If it weren't for several cars and people snapping pictures, I likely would have ridden right by, too.

I'm also usually filled with glee to be entering Colorado and the mountains at that point. :D

Day 3 – Sunday Sept 4th

Morning came and I awoke to sunny skies and pleasant temperatures. I started collecting up my things and took a hot shower to kick the day off. Once I had my bike loaded, I carried the key to the lobby where I found Ryan (the owner) working at the front desk. He and I had a nice visit about all that they had done to get the hotel to where they are at.

20160904_080116_zpsyamf2nol.jpg

20160904_075929_zpsxk2rjbmg.jpg

Two years ago they bought the place and moved in to start the process of getting the hotel into a serviceable state. Apparently the previous owners had lost interest, or funding, and let the place go downhill before ultimately shutting it down. Ryan and Ali have since remodeled and opened the hotel back up. The amount of work they have done is staggering, and from the tools and materials that are visible in the courtyard, it’s obvious that it is an ongoing process for them.

As we were talking, Ryan had commented about all of the motorcycle riders he’d seen come through riding something that they called the TAT. I explained that the TAT is an offroad route that crossed the United States, and that many in the adventure motorcycling community explore the route. I pointed him to the forums where we share information about the TAT so that he could learn more about it.

The La Veta Inn is not far off of the TAT, and riders coming into that area should have this place on their list of crash pads during their journey. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel, but they had stopped serving food by the time arrived the previous evening, so I can’t comment on meal quality.

Ryan asked which way I was headed and I told him in the general direction of home. He told me to take highway 12 out of La Veta to Trinidad, adding that it is scenic and a good motorcycle road.

Leaving the hotel I stopped at the gas station and topped the tank off for the ride to Trinidad. While I was at the gas station, a solo rider was coming into town on highway 12 riding a heavily loaded KTM 990. Knowing he was likely on the TAT, I gave him a thumbs up as I was pumping the last of fuel in my tank. He did the abrupt spin around and rode up to me.

We exchanged a quick greeting and then got into the meat of what each of us were doing there. Phil had quit his job so that he could ride the TAT from Tennessee all the way to the west coast. His KTM had seen a lot of battles. His cases were held in place by ratchet straps, there was duct tape on a lot of the plastic bits, and his front fender was held in place with string. He carried a spare tire and a large amount of gear. He chuckled about the trials he had faced so far and was hopeful he could make it the entire way. We bid a farewell to one another and each of us went on our way.

Hitting the road out of La Veta immediately yielded some great scenery and even better road. Starting the day off in the twisties got the blood flowing and I was thoroughly enjoying myself. Little traffic in front of me allowed me to dig into the throttle and carve the corners a little more than I probably should have.

20160904_091836_zpscyj75ev8.jpg

Highway 12 runs from La Veta to Trinidad over the Cuchara Pass. Cuchara Pass is just shy of 10,000 feet, so it isn’t as high as many of the others, but the temps still cool off at altitude. This day there was a small cell around a tiny lake that was dropping a gentle rain. It wasn’t the soakers that I had ridden in yesterday, but it was enough to ease up and ride like an adult. Coming off of the pass, the skies cleared up and the bright blue sky was a backdrop to some puffy white cumulous clouds. The temps started warming up the closer I got to Trinidad.

It’s Sunday morning, and I started thinking of my bandmates going through the Sunday morning routine at church. It wasn’t long before I past an abandoned church building and with a smile on my face I flipped around and took advantage of the photo op. After snapping a few pictures and sipping up some water, I sent the picture to a few of them knowing that at that moment they were in the middle of services. It wasn’t long before they were responding back with the typical “we’re jealous” and “please be careful” comments.

20160904_095612_zps3bua9d0g.jpg

It was now becoming decision time for which way to take the trip since I was nearing Trinidad. My options were to head toward home, or make a turn for more scenery. My schedule allowed for another day out. There were pros and cons in either decision. Being the quick decision maker that I am, I decided to flip a coin. I pulled over to the side of the road next to an appropriate quarter car wash. Heads I would turn for the mountains of northern New Mexico, and tails I would aim for Texas.

Before we continue, this trip is serving a couple of purposes. I had some new gadgets to try out, and mentally I needed a break to recharge. My plan is to ride to Alaska next summer (be watching for that report!), and the gear that I have acquired is in anticipation of that journey. The other purpose was to gauge my endurance of riding 500+ miles days consecutively.

Mrs. Trommelslager is backing me on my desire to go to Alaska (I have the absolute best wife in the world!), and I want to keep her in the know of where I am and how things are going. On previous trips where I used Spotwalla, she and kiddo both have enjoyed watching the dots appear on the map as I add the miles to the odometer. The Delorme InReach is one of the devices that I intend on keeping them informed with, and this trip was the test run with it.

Additionally, I have been spent mentally for a while. I’m currently trying to wind down a difficult project at work, and have been working multiple weekends in a row to get it closer to completion. When I am finding myself waking up in the middle of the night thinking of lists of tasks that need to be completed at work, it is time to take five. Ironically, laying in the tent at Lake Isabel on night one I found myself still absorbed with the thoughts of what is going on at work, and that really angered me. Even in the mountains of Colorado, I can’t seem to unplug my brain from the grind stone back home.

So I tossed the coin in the air and let it hit the ground. It bounced and rolled toward a drain and then disappeared into the blackness. I had to laugh. Grabbing another coin out of the tank bag, I flipped it in the air and caught it in my hand, then covered it on the back of my arm. Decision time!

Before I put my gloves back on, I pulled up the menu on Doofus and hit the Home button. It plotted a course and I eased into the throttle and started the ride towards Texas. My thoughts were varied for a while. Knowing that I had another day that I could explore made me feel like I had given up and let the road win, but on the other hand I would spend my last day off work with the family at home. The wonder of what could have been seen that day rattled around in my head, but I was relieved to not be facing the possibility of hunting another campground all afternoon on a busy holiday weekend. It was a bittersweet decision and either way was a win. It was certainly a win for the family.

I crossed into New Mexico and stopped in Raton to grab a bite to eat before settling into the routine of riding between fuel stops. Heading out of Raton, the temps started to rise and I knew that as I got closer to home it would only be hotter. With the iPod playing a mix of “road music” in my helmet, I was on my way.

The ride across the north east corner of New Mexico was windy to say the least. I felt like I was turning left the entire way to Colorado, and now I was turning right all the way to Texas. Passing the big trucks kept things interesting in the stiff cross winds, and Doofus was telling me that I’d be home at bedtime.

I rolled back into the Lone Star State, and continued on towards Amarillo. Doing “splash and go” stops for fuel, I made good time all the way to Wichita Falls dodging the watchful eye of our state troopers, who were out in force. That in and of itself can be an art, and the last thing I wanted to earn on this trip was a performance award from a black and white. I kept a close eye on other traffic since I wasn’t the slowest one out there, but I also didn’t want to be the fastest to draw the attention of a radar yielding trooper. It’s a fine balance!

20160904_130653_zpsrcuaqvfe.jpg

I passed Wichita Falls before the sun went to bed for the night, and made my last stop about 100 miles away from home. By now, I was ready to pull into the driveway and get off the trusty beemer. I had covered over 1800 miles by this point, and the old posterior was certainly telling me about it. The gas station was one that had fudge and candied nuts on display. I celebrated the trip with some cinnamon covered pecans while I rested my backside for the final leg.

My last stop was about thirty minutes, and I swung my leg over for the last time this trip and rode it on to the house. The darkness amplified my fatigue, but it didn’t do much for dropping the temperatures. That last leg was pretty warm and a shower was going to be a necessity.

I arrived home safely. Upon pulling in the driveway, Mrs. Trommelslager and Mini-Me met me with hugs and an ice cold Coca-Cola before I could get my gear off. I parked the steed in the garage, stripped off my super suit and pulled out the wet camping gear so I could hang it up to dry. I headed in, took a nice long shower and then spent the next half hour telling the tale about the trip.

The day's mileage: 656 miles
The trip total: 1,914 Miles

It’s always great to get away, but it is equally great to get back home. For me, this trip served me well despite the problems of lodging/camping on Saturday night. I was able to maintain the 500+ days without being suicidal, and kept a positive attitude in some difficult circumstances that I can only blame myself for. As it ended up, I rode to Colorado one day, spent the next riding through Colorado, and then rode home on the toss of a coin. A three day trip is not much of an epic adventure, but it was an adventure nonetheless.

I'll wrap this report up later with my thoughts about the trip and what I could have been done differently. No matter how long one does something, there is always more to learn and ways to improve.

I'm also usually filled with glee to be entering Colorado and the mountains at that point. :D

Know that sign well. All families have their goofy rituals, and in my family, we always have the music queued so that, at the moment we pass the welcome sign at the top of Raton Pass, we start "Rocky Mountain High", through the car stereo, at high volume.

Man, you are braver than I am. First of all, to go on a holiday weekend. And second, to go without reservations. I plan everything like a moonshot. I'm envious of you for having the wherewithall to "just go."

There's a great phone app you should get --- Campfinder. Wherever you are (or tell the app you're going to be), it will find campgrounds and show you price, amenities, pictures, user reviews, and a route to get there from where you're sitting. Unlike some apps that only show KOAs and Jellystone Park styled private campgrounds, Campfinder will show the public ones too: national forest, national park, Corps of Engineers, state, county, city. When you're tired at the end of a long day and need a camp space, this is the best $3.99 you'll ever have spent.

tshelfer,

I love it. Cranking up the music is such a small thing to do but it builds fond memories! On occasion I'll be caught behind the wheel of one of those big semi trucks, and when Mini-Me joins me for those occasions East Bound and Down is always blasting out of the speakers. Good times!

Thanks for the tip on Campfinder. I'll be loading that up here shortly.

Epilogue

This trip is done and I am grateful for the ability to go. I realize that there are many who don’t have the desire to get out of their comfort zone to seek adventure, and many others who have the desire but don’t have the means to make it reality. I’m equally grateful for having a wife and son that support my thirst for adventure. Without their backing, my ability to get out there would be drastically limited.

On Monday, I woke up and we shared breakfast together. Mrs. Trommelslager was a bit surprised that I didn’t take advantage of the extra day available, but at the same time was glad to have me home. While I was away, they had fun watching the bread crumbs on the map and guessing where I might head next. For them, the trip was equally fun in a different way.

Later in the morning I hopped on the beemer and went to the local quarter car wash to give the bug carcasses a proper send off. Our local car wash is in obvious need of some attention (read: bulldozer), and after blowing the bugs off I think the bike was a bit dirtier that it was when I started, only with fewer bug remnants. Since the car wash didn’t get the job done to my liking, I decided I’d run by our auto supply store and get some washing supplies and do a proper job on the bike.

I pulled up to Auto Groan (what Mini-Me called it when he was still in diapers) and went in to grab some cleaning stuff and spotted the light bulb display. Being that I had spent a whole day in Colorado trying to find a head lamp, I didn’t expect to have any luck here. However, they not only had the head lamp I needed, but four different varieties of the headlamp I needed. “You have got to be kidding me”. Yep, four different options in lamps less than two miles from my house, and I had spent hours with one eye open for auto parts stores during my trip. What the auto supply didn’t have was the specific cleaner I was after. Irony…

I grabbed new lamps for both the low and high beam, and spares to go on the bike for the next time. In speaking with CrasherX last week before trip time, he had made the observation that the most effective Gremlin Bell for a motorcycle are the tools in the tool bag rattling around. Well, my “Gremlin Bell” now includes light bulbs rattling around in addition to those tools in the tool roll. Live and learn!

I spent a large portion of Monday washing the bike, replacing head lamps, basically de-tripping and stowing camping gear. I also did my trip laundry and started writing this report. Tuesday requires my presence back at work and it will be the normal routine for the foreseeable future. My focus now is helping Ghostrider1964 get Roll The Bones disorganized and handling the things that need to be handled before event time.

And y'all need to get registered for RTB now!! :deal:

The take aways from the trip

One of my big mistakes during the trip was deciding to keep moving in the face of finding things full and unavailable. There were several rallies during the weekend in Colorado, and many other events that had drawn a large number of people into that region. In retrospect, I am betting that if I spent some time talking with other motorcycle or ADV people that I would have been able to pitch a tent on someone’s campsite somewhere. Or posting up in the tent space thread on ADVRider. Instead, I had it in my mind that I would find a spot around the next corner and kept heading blindly in that direction.

Knowing of the impending trip and waiting until close to departure to give the bike a good look over put me in a bind of spending more than I should have on tires or cancelling for another day. The tires that were on may have been fine, but that wasn't a gamble I wanted take. Others may call me a wimp for it, but that's okay, too. In the future I need to look at these kinds of things with enough time to do something about them, and on my terms.

Another mistake was not having a spare head lamp in the bag of tricks. That has been remedied as stated earlier, but I need to look at other items along the same lines and address them based on the risk of failure and how it would impact safety or the ability to be mobile.

The trip would have been more fun with a riding buddy. I approached Ghostrider1964 and CrasherX about coming along, and while Ghost was itching to go, he had too much other stuff to tend to. CrasherX was willing and ready to go until that pesky job thing got in his way. I've been there on both accounts, and I don't blame them. I'll never allow them to live it down, but between us, I understand. ;-)

And probably the biggest mistake was setting out on a holiday weekend without any plan or direction and regard of where I would sleep. I wanted this trip to be spontaneous, and it was. But that brought into play a level of stress that was counterproductive to fully unwinding mentally in addition to compromising my safety in light of the circumstances (no pun intended).

Final thoughts

The trip was great. Even considering the disappointments and challenges, it still was what I needed. I'd do it again. I feel better mentally and am overall in better spirits. I wished I would have stayed out that extra day, but I'm rather looking forward to the next adventure. Until then, it is the typical weekly grind. Yes, it is disenchanting to get back to the routine, but I’m glad I busted that cycle for a few days. I needed it. We all need it!!

Thank you all for reading my ramblings about this trip. I failed to mention that there was one more thing this trip served up for me, and that is the opportunity to write about it. It is inspiring to read of others’ adventures and travels. It’s for me an enjoyable way to relax in the evening, and it’s my hope that you enjoyed the read.

Shiney side up!! :rider:

Awesome, and that has to be the shortest Colorado trip I've read about. Two days of dreary West Texas for only one day of glorious Colorado isn't the ratio usually applied to a trip, but what the heck, work with what you have.

I also applaud you on your spontaneity, I can't do it, too much of a planner myself to just wing it.

Nothing wimpy about changing out your tires. Whether it's a bike or a troublesome trailer tire, I've had the experience of driving 500 miles and worrying every inch of the way. It's no fun, and totally unnecessary.

About camping on a busy, busy weekend:
- A lot of NF campgrounds take reservations. Use the Campfinder app, or go to Forestcamping.com to view all campgrounds within a NF. It'll give nightly prices, a nice description of the campground, and tell you whether not campsites can be reserved. If so, you can make reservations through ReserveUSA.com. It's not real cheap; they hit you with a service charge per day, for your reservation. But on a holiday weekend, it's the way to go.
- When you're in national forest country, bear in mind that unfenced, open land is technically open for public use, unless otherwise posted. So if the campgrounds are full, follow a forest road and look for a turnout where others have obviously camped. If it's not posted, help yourself. For water, run back to the campground and use their pump. The campground host might try to chase you away, but most will look the other way.
- If you can find the number for the local US Forest Service station, give them a call. They're amazingly friendly and helpful, and I've had them give me detailed directions to popular, nearby areas that are commonly used for free camping.

Back