• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mountain Recon DS Ride, Monterrey, Mexico, Oct 11-14, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if all goes according the plan of the minute... I'll be trucking to Laredo and back with Cagiva549 and crew.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Doc, What time of day did you go? Did you notice if it was the same cost for multiple vehicles on one permit?

I'm also gonna try to exchange currency here in Houston so I'm not waiting for them to open at the border.

Another detail has changed in my plans. I'm now crossing at McAllen since CeeBee got his papers for there instead of Laredo.:argh: Dang Tourist!:lol2:

We'll be crossing together at dawn with our bikes in seperate trucks. So Scott we could follow you on your bike if you want. I think it would be better to be tailgated by a couple of gringos instead of some local truck drivers.:eek2:

Anyone else crossing there at that time Thursday?

There should be multiple currency exchange places on the U.S. side before the bridge...... Myself and Robert (rccline) are crossing at Roma Texas and
Dropping down into the Allende/Linares areas.

Encuentramos el groupo en Galeana !!!!!

Ciao , Chango !!!!!!!!

I'm also gonna try to exchange currency here in Houston so I'm not waiting for them to open at the border.

At Laredo and McAllen there are 24hour Casa de Cambios. I think you get the best exchange rates right at the border, personally I perfer the US side. South of the river you'll be stressed enough with mini culture shock to have to worry about changing money in a foreign land.

I'm out :tears: :headbang:

I've been pushing trying to make this happen and everything is just pushing back harder and harder... So I am going to take the hint and let this trip go. It pains me to no end because I know it is going to be an awesome trip!! I look forward to all the reports and pics. Have fun and be safe!

Re: Routes to Galeana

The fastest, quickest way down is to cross at Laredo, take cuota toll roads that route you towards Saltillo completely bypassing Monterrey to the north, and then Saltillo to the East, down 4-lane divided Hwy 57(?) to San Roberto and then east to Galeana.

If you want to cross at McAllen, take the cuota (toll) road towards Monterrey but exit at Cadereyta, south to Allende, then south on Hwy 85 to Linares where you turn towards Galeana. This route takes you thru the twisty Santa Rosa canyon between Linares and Inturbide, which is a pretty neat road in its own right.

Who's going which way and when are you crossing? I got my permit today [for McAllen], but the girl told me it really doesn't matter where I cross and I don't have to return at the same point. All that mattered is I turn my permit in when coming back.

Last edited:
Another detail has changed in my plans. I'm now crossing at McAllen since CeeBee got his papers for there instead of Laredo.:argh: Dang Tourist!:lol2:

FWIW, I just got my Importador from Banjercito in Austin. One of my travelling buddies got his last week and noted Piedras Negras as his point of entry. We are still not sure if we are crossing there or NL so I asked if we were committed to crossing there. Banjercito rep said we could enter and exit anywhere we like and the notation was only for informational/statistical purposes. Of course, no warranties express or implied and YMMV but I felt comfortable enough that I put PN on mine and am not worried if we decide to divert to NL. :trust:
-Fletch

Hi everyone !!! While on Mexico roads u will encounter " Topes" .
A sort of Speed bump like no other Speed bump . They are usually
located as you enter a populated area and or in school zones.
I once saw a unknowing KLR rider do a nose dive over one.

James in Sealy

Electrical Question..............Charging camera batteries, plugging in razors,...?
Which type of plug prongs is used in Mexico? I have the round pronged type used for Europe...........Is Mexico on the "Flat Blade" or "Round Prong" and are they on 110 or 220 volt.
.........Doc

Electrical Question..............Charging camera batteries, plugging in razors,...?
Which type of plug prongs is used in Mexico? I have the round pronged type used for Europe...........Is Mexico on the "Flat Blade" or "Round Prong" and are they on 110 or 220 volt.
.........Doc

Doc,

I believe they use the same flat blade prongs we use and that they are 110v, but don't know that for a fact.

Mexico uses the same electrical setup as we in the USA.

Mexican speed bumps (topes) are BAAAAAD. Last March a riding buddy of mine hit one so hard he messed up his wrist big time. If you're feeling morbid you can read the story at Clayton's fall. He's OK now, the docs put him back together, but please youse guys, remember, anything can happen in Mexico. It's the land of personal responsibility and open man holes are most likely unmarked. But that's what makes it such a great place. Please be careful.

Question: Anyone trailering or ortherwise hauling from Austin to Laredo with extra room?? Like, on Wednesday??

Doc,

I believe they use the same flat blade prongs we use and that they are 110v, but don't know that for a fact.

I'm told they're flat[110] and hardly anyone ever sees the round 3 prong anymore.

Carbon / soot on road .... For those especially who might be coming down from Acuna ,Piedras Negras via hwy 57 . Theres multiple Coal mines in the areas and residue on the road. When wet from dew or rain it can be very slick. I saw a rider go down on this stuff in a curve and bust his hip up.
Also , oil accumalation from worn / leaking vehicles . This will be in the center of the lane.
I have'nt seen oil lines that thick in the U.S. for years. Con Cuidado !!!!!!!

milton is right ....

Woot! Pumping up,now. Just got the bike back together. I started to de-farkle the Vstrom for this trip to save weight and have it ready to drop; as in put the factory windscreen back on it. Then I decided I ain't doing 500 mile freeway days without my toys and comfort factors.

As it stands, I'm leaving about 5am Wednesday from Lavon (NE of Dallas) and go straight to the Mexican Consulate in Austin and get my papers. Then I'll head to Rio Grande City. If I understand correctly, I'll be able to cross at Roma with James and Robert with my paperwork from Austin.

Does that sound right?

Alan,

FYI: The consulate in Austin will give you the vehicle permit, but not the tourist permit. You will still have to stop at the border to purchase the tourist permit ($20).

The current weather forecast for Galeana for next week:

Thursday, 30% chance of rain, hi 81, low 54
Friday, 30% chance of rain, hi 81, low 55
Saturday, Sunny, hi 84, low 55
Sunday, Sunny, hi 82, low 55

Always subject to change, of course.

Woot! Pumping up,now.
As it stands, I'm leaving about 5am Wednesday from Lavon (NE of Dallas) and go straight to the Mexican Consulate in Austin and get my papers. Then I'll head to Rio Grande City. If I understand correctly, I'll be able to cross at Roma with James and Robert with my paperwork from Austin.

Does that sound right?
Don't forget the Mexican Consulate in Austin closes at 1pm!
Once you have your vehicle papers, they are good at any border.

One point: the Mexican consulate will not issue you a Tourist Card, so you still have to do that at the border. (I'm not sure why this is, its just a different agency I guess.) Well, you have to pay money for the Tourist Card so I guess that's one thing. But at least a visit to the consulate gives you the peace of mind knowing that your vehicle won't be refused for some silly reason after you've driven all the way to the bottom edge of Texas. So, bottom line, even with a visit to the consulate you still have to go the Temporary Importacion of Vehicles building, aka Control de Internacion Temporal de Vehiculos, (look for the CIITEV signs), on the Mexican side of the border to secure your Tourist Card. I can't remember exactly what happens next, after the tourist card, but I think you still have to go thru the Banjercito line there in the same building. You will already have your vehicle papers and photocopies but you still have to go thru the line, I guess to file those all important photocopies. Again, the advantage of visiting the consulate first is the peace of mind knowing you can't screw up at this point. I think that's right. Anyone else done this before?

My experience is that everyone working in the temp importation of vehicles building is very helpful and if you just wave your papers around and look pathetic and lost someone will direct you to the right window. In Nuevo Laredo they have it set-up windows 1, 2, 3, etc. You just go to the widow with the next number.

Probably afternoon showers are the norm. Just guessing.

134068552-L.gif

204506657-M.jpg

204506663-M.jpg

Nuevo Laredo

204506634-M.jpg

After this place your next hurdle is the check point 26 km into Mexico, which is a cake walk. After that you are in free fall. You have just bailed out of a perfectly good airplane. Enjoy the ride.

If I understand correctly, I'll be able to cross at Roma with James and Robert with my paperwork from Austin.

Does that sound right?
Why are you wanting to hook up with those two guys in Roma, Come ride with some "MEN" crossing at Laredo. I've heard rumors that,..that James guy rides like a little girl.......As a matter of fact, her,...I mean His bike is even a shade of lite red, or should I say "Pink"
I hope you know what you're doing.........

Help me decide klr or vstrom 650> Don't want to limit my self too much with the strom. Sure would enjoy the ride down there better. Help....

Alan,

FYI: The consulate in Austin will give you the vehicle permit, but not the tourist permit. You will still have to stop at the border to purchase the tourist permit ($20).

Then my question is: Can I purchase the tourist permit at Roma or Rio Grande City? Do all crossings have that service?

Then my question is: Can I purchase the tourist permit at Roma or Rio Grande City? Do all crossings have that service?
That's the way I understand it. Every crossing should be able to sell you a tourist card/permit. And you can only get them at the border crossings, or airports.

Help me decide klr or vstrom 650> Don't want to limit my self too much with the strom. Sure would enjoy the ride down there better. Help....
Always the question. Ask Richard, he's familiar with both. Also, there's gonna be plenty of roads for both. IMHO, I think even the KLR is gonna feel big on the rougher routes, but heck, there's limits to everything and no one bike does it all, do it? Which brings us back to: there's gonna be plenty of roads and routes for all kinds of bikes. Some of these "roads" are downright brutal what with rocks and steep inclines, but then again a lot of it is paved or graded. I started out ridin' a Harley down there, and had a blast, but..... trust me, you don't want to go there.

Just in case I need to know, where is Recon headquarters in Laredo Wednesday evening?

I'm out guys. The bike and I argued and it won. A few screws and some sheet metal was the fix but the doc said 6 weeks at the earliest. :giveup: I know you'll have an excellent trip so 'till next time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back