• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Rundown - a Mexico Adventure Rally, April 9-16, 2016

My business partner is going to flip out and my tax department manager's head will probably explode, but I'm thinking this is one of those opportunities that must be taken advantage of. So, it's on my calendar. We'll see how they take the news that April 15th is their problem next year before I fully commit.

Now, as for which bike...

Y'all think an 06' CRF450X with a 3.4 gal tank would be a adequate bike for this adventure?

I rode that bike's exact older brother down Baja on a good chunk of the SCORE 1000 course. That will be a nice bike for the back country.

My business partner is going to flip out and my tax department manager's head will probably explode, but I'm thinking this is one of those opportunities that must be taken advantage of. So, it's on my calendar. We'll see how they take the news that April 15th is their problem next year before I fully commit.

Now, as for which bike...

Sorry to be harsh, but when you're on your death bed, you ain't gonna be remembering the times you spent pushing paper in the tax department, and wishing you had spent more time there.

There is a commercial on TV out lately, I can't remember for what, about a son who quits his job to drive across country and he is in a conversation with his dad about it.

His dad says "You quit your job to drive across the country"

Son: "Yep"

Dad, after a pause: "Wish I had done that"

In the next scene, they're both in the car riding across the country.

I'm not saying quit your job, but for God sakes man, this is one of those trips that will be with you forever. The 2016 tax season, not so much.

i-TMvpc5c-M.jpg

Sorry to be harsh, but when you're on your death bed, you ain't gonna be remembering the times you spent pushing paper in the tax department, and wishing you had spent more time there.......

Wise words, but when you're unemployed, the mortgage is due, 3 screaming kids have no food in the pantry, and momma is running around with the accountant from the corner office with a stable job...reality kicks in and you take a hard look at your life.

Then you buy another bike, plan another trip, and find a woman that actually loves YOU! :lol2:

Wise words, but when you're unemployed, the mortgage is due, 3 screaming kids have no food in the pantry, and momma is running around with the accountant from the corner office with a stable job...reality kicks in and you take a hard look at your life.

Then you buy another bike, plan another trip, and find a woman that actually loves YOU! :lol2:

When unemployed, mortgage due, 3 screaming, yada yada yada.....Mexico just may be ur ticket to a new reality....just beware if you ever come back

Last night I watched this period documentary about Sir Edward James, the british millionaire who found his true calling in Xilitla, Mexico and who created the amazing gardens. He's definitely smart, definitely a kook, and just the kind of crazy guy who'd be along for rides like these were he alive today. Worth the 50 minutes if you can stand the 70's soundtrack and graphics.

My favorite quote (goes something like): Mexico City... "One year when my back was broken, see, I filled this whole suite with trees, pigeons, cockatoos. I also had a kinkajoo, an ocelot (which as you know is a little tiger), and, uh, a small tiger. And another year I found I had to bring back some Boa constrictors...." That's the kind of guy he was.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oosdgHLTGY"]The Secret Life of Edward James (1978): Presented by George Melly - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
An amazing waterfall halfway between Tula (1st overnight) and Jalpan (Rally HQ), maybe 20 miles out of the way. This area is amazing. Sorry Cola de Caballo, this one takes the cake.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascada_de_Tamul

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc24MdgQNYQ"]Cascada de Tamul desde el aire (Huasteca Potosina) DJI Phantom - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Last one for the night...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8jbMtf2vCg"]La Huasteca Potosina vista como nunca antes - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for sharing that PBS doc. It'll be interesting to learn more. After seeing Laz Pozas, I have many wonderments about what we saw.

Plus, will share with my mom, who just can't understand why her daughter wants to go to MX....

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, will share with my mom, who just can't understand why her daughter wants to go to MX....

Last night, while watching the waterfall video my wife looked up at the PC, asked where that was, and I told her "Near our planned trip for April." She got upset, a bit. Why? "Because you do all these fun trips to cool places while I stay home". I said, "Well, come with me". She said, "No, I already told you, it's Mexico. I want to go somewhere cool that's on my bucket list, not Mexico".

:giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup:

Sounds like 2016 will be a good vacation year. I said Cuba. She countered Puerto Rico or Costa Rico. All good!

Securing permission as we speak. I've passed up on too XXXX many of these opportunities. Not this one baby!

Who from DFW will be trailering down to the border and has room for a bike and me?
If not I will be taking my trailer and have room for a few bikes and body's.
This is all up in the air until I get the Okay from the wife that I can go.

Maybe me. Unless I Tenere it.

I will be coming from DFW and would be interested in sharing expenses to trailer my bike there. Jeff, I will be happy to join you and share expenses, assuming you can make it. I don't have a trailer myself.

The Sienna is very comfortable for four adults to travel in and Jeff, if your trailer can manage 4 400- 650 size bikes and I think it can, That would be a plan. Oh yes, I'm in./

Your mom, my mom, and my wife may form a support group: why my baby crazy 'nuff to go to Meggiko.

In!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Your mom, my mom, and my wife may form a support group: why my baby crazy 'nuff to go to Meggiko.

In!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You're going?! That's awesome! What bike? huh? huh? What bike? :rider:

My boss said today he 'should' be able to let me know tomorrow if I can have the time off... that prolly means I might know by Wednesday, at the soonest.

Back