• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Texas 500

Stating the obvious, I know, but riding out there at night without support - well - that amps up the risk. I think the big thing the 500 brought was having support, check-ins, etc and some semblance of ‘safety in numbers’. Having been out there in the dark before and even having ridden all those roads numerous times, it is super easy to get lost in or lose your way in the dark - and this is of course a place you don’t want to get lost. And then if you have a mechanical issue, etc etc, you get the idea.

Stating the obvious, I know, but riding out there at night without support - well - that amps up the risk. I think the big thing the 500 brought was having support, check-ins, etc and some semblance of ‘safety in numbers’. Having been out there in the dark before and even having ridden all those roads numerous times, it is super easy to get lost in or lose your way in the dark - and this is of course a place you don’t want to get lost. And then if you have a mechanical issue, etc etc, you get the idea.
Help me understand. The National Park Service was never going to provide "support " were they? I assumed it was up to the organization that Richard was starting and individuals to make it happen. Were there proposed sponsors involved?

Help me understand. The National Park Service was never going to provide "support " were they? I assumed it was up to the organization that Richard was starting and individuals to make it happen. Were there proposed sponsors involved?

Hey Brian - the support I was referencing was referring to the first post of this thread in the logistics section. Just volunteers and check in stations and the like.

As I understand it... No, the Park Service was not going to be in involved in any way in the event. No sponsors. The support and pit stops was going to provided by TWT volunteers. The event was going to be a fund raiser where the participants would pay a fee to ride in the event and all the proceeds would be donated to the local Terlingua - Study Butte EMS Service.

As I understand it... No, the Park Service was not going to be in involved in any way in the event. No sponsors. The support and pit stops was going to provided by TWT volunteers. The event was going to be a fund raiser where the participants would pay a fee to ride in the event and all the proceeds would be donated to the local Terlingua - Study Butte EMS Service.
So I guess technically it still could occur just not officially sanctioned by the park service. :shrug:

The roads are open, but no checkpoints with fuel, water, snack, spare tubes etc. will be there. You would be totally self supporting. Richard was requiring everyone to run some form of gps tracking/communication in the need of help. I don’t know for sure but, likely would have had sweep riders to assist anyone stranded.

That’s the difference. In the event you are confident in your bike and skills to be self sufficient nothing is standing in the way of you doing it.

The question is will it be fun? Do you enjoy that type of ride?

For anyone riding at night would have a decent chance of having to be equipped to handle 30ish° or below at times.

kubotamiketx: Have a look here https://www.motominded.com/ I think you may find a solution for your heavy light issue.

Trail Boss: Have a look at their Baja based light set-ups if you're still going to upgrade. Also nice idea and effort on your part. I plan to ride the loop during Uncle's just to get a feel as to how challenging 3 loops would have been (uggh!).

On a somewhat related (like very distant 3rd or 4th cousins) if any of you aren't following this year's Dakar, taking place now in Saudi, you should consider downloading the Dakar app and check out some of the bike videos that get posted daily... talk about impressive!

RockyRacoon, great minds think alike. I did purchase and install the https://www.motominded.com/collections/husqvarna-2015-fe-250-350-450-501/products/super-mount

I did this just before we did the TX500 pre-ride two weeks ago and I can say it worked perfectly. Would actually consider one for any KTM or Husky even with the stock light. Really helps clean up the rats nest. Also used dielectric grease on every connection while I had things apart. Nice setup, rock solid now, no issues with the heavy light, which is amazing at night. Had to get the Husky inspected this week and the guy freaked out when I turned on the headlight. He asked me to turn off the high beam, but I was already on low. He lost his vision for a bit when I switched on the high beam.

By the way we hit 28 degrees in the morning of the pre-ride, but it did warm up as the day went on. I run the super light weight Avade heated base layer https://www.avade.com.au/products.html

There is one company in the USA that sells them but their website is wonky right now. I can run on medium and low heat for over 6 hours on a single battery. Pretty impressive for a little battery pack. I carry a second battery in my camelbak but have never needed it on a ride.

Reactions: JT
It's your standard Seatconcepts seat. They have been very good on the last few bikes I've had.

If you haven't figured it out, Gary and I are teaming up and running the 500 on Thursday if all continues to go well.

We will be riding the loop in both directions and are alternating between River Road and Black Gap.

If you plan on running this 500 (Feb 27,2020 3 loops in 24 hours fully unsupported) please send me a pm.

I'm thinking of getting something made for those making the attempt. No guarantees, but maybe.

Also, be a smart dirt bike rider like me. Ride in the right track on blind corners! Traffic is two way!

I'm cheating and not reading this whole thread just front and back a little. Rich told me about this idea yesterday barely. Planning on going this yr first time. I'm definitely doing this loop track at least once in March and if got spunk for a 2nd loop too. Pretty sure I can't handle 3 and at night much less. So whose done it more than once already? Or the full 500?

I'm cheating and not reading this whole thread just front and back a little. Rich told me about this idea yesterday barely. Planning on going this yr first time. I'm definitely doing this loop track at least once in March and if got spunk for a 2nd loop too. Pretty sure I can't handle 3 and at night much less. So whose done it more than once already? Or the full 500?
I will do at least one lap with you. Two if I have the stamina.

Back