• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

There comes a time...

Day forty nine (day fifty), Chicken Corners, Hurrah Pass, Lockhart Basin, Manti-La Sal NF and Geyser Pass

Sunday, October 1st.

We got a bit earlier start today because I wanted to make sure we got to use the Jeep as much as reasonably possible. We stopped to get more water and snacks before heading West out of town on Kane Springs Creek Road. This was paved and followed along the South side of the Colorado River for a short distance before turning to gravel and heading off into Kane Springs Creek Canyon. Here the road got quite twisty. There were a LOT of trail bike riders out here, pedal bikes, not motorcycles. Some of the trails they ride looked a bit too dicey for me! The road was easy going for a while, but then turned away from Kane Springs Creek and started climbing toward Chicken Corners and Hurrah Pass. It became quite narrow in places and the rough spots started to come more frequently and last longer each time. The Jeep dash had an off-road app that showed information about the Jeep: gearing, 4WD vs 2WD status, tranny temp, roll and pitch angles, and more. I think the highest pitch we hit was around 22-23 degrees and a max roll angle of 18 degrees (which felt wayyy more by seat of the pants!) There were also several places where there were multiple tracks for the road and one would be significantly rougher than the other. We tried a few of those rougher spots and the Jeep got through them effortlessly. I did need Daniel to do some occasional spotting for me to make sure where my front tires were when the front end was up so high I couldn't see what was in front of me. Once we really got into the Chicken Corners, the views were simply amazing! The same was true of Hurrah Pass where it was windy and cool!

After letting a group of side by sides go down first, we headed down the West side of Hurrah Pass on Lockhart Basin Road.. This was just as twisty and rough as the climb up the East side. Near the bottom there was a nice campground area with toilets. After this, the road mostly leveled out. It was still twisty and rocky, but soon turned to sand. The Jeep really liked to just float over the sand and it made the road feel super smooth. I was looking for a particular place to stop before turning around to head back to town. When I rode this years ago with some other TWT members, we had just completed a particularly rough section of Lockhart Basin Road when we got to a dry sandy creek bed and stopped to rest in the shade of some trees. Zipping along through the sand at a nice clip it did not take us long to reach the same spot. There were tracks going all over the place in the sand so we had some fun getting turned around and doing a few ledge climbs. Then we started backtracking to town. I always say that an out and back road is like riding two different roads because it isn't the same going both directions, which is why I don't always worry about roads "going through" and coming out somewhere else when I am planning rides. Understanding that backtracking isn't always a bad thing is a good life lesson for the kids :-P We did move a bit faster going back as we were now more familiar with the road and knew better what to expect.

Back in town we grabbed a quick lunch and Frosty at Wendy's. There was a group of KTM 690 enduros and a KLR in the parking lot. They looked like they were getting ready to spend the week riding and camping in the area. It would be very easy to spend a week or more riding out here without having to repeat much of what you had already ridden, especially if you are up for some of the more technical trails. We wished them luck and then headed North out of town to see about visiting Arches NP. When we turned off US 191 onto the road that goes to the park, it was immediately obvious we were not going to be visiting the park. First, there was a LONG line of people waiting to get in. Second, it appeared that a permit, above and beyond a normal annual park pass, was required to get into the park. I have to say I think this is LAME in the extreme! If people have a park pass, they should be allowed in any time the parks are open. Requiring an extra permit really makes it hard to visit parks when you are on a trip and don't always know exactly when and where you will be ahead of the time you want to visit. Mild rant mode off now... I remembered seeing what looked like an interesting drive in the trail guide provided by the Jeep rental company, the La Sal Loop. For many years I have been looking at my collection of maps and Google Earth wondering about getting up and over those mountains from Moab, UT., to Gateway, CO. There is a maze of roads in the mountains and I never really found out which ones might be easy or really technical. According to the guide, the La Sal Loop was easy. We still had the Jeep for about three more hours, so we decided to just head out as far as we could get in an hour and a half and then turn back.

The loop started around seven miles South of Moab off of US 191. We could see that the tops of the mountains had a fresh dusting of snow from the rains that moved through the area last night. Also, the Aspens were really changing colors now! The road was paved as it lead away from US 191 into the base of the mountains. It quickly reached the boundary of the Manti-La Sal NF. It was readily apparent we would not have time to do the entire loop, so we opted to just run up to Geyser Pass. The road stayed paved until we got up into the mountains at the start of Geyser Road. This was a very nicely groomed gravel road. We saw some road maintenance equipment and it was obvious that it had been used recently. Apparently, we were not driving fast enough and a little Subaru Outback went blasting around us and raced off into the distance. I was happy to let them go by so we could take our time gawking at the scenery as it was quite beautiful. Near the top there was another parking lot/overlook area with some more road equipment. Just past this spot there was freshly dumped gravel. It was "spread" but still quite deep, probably 8-10" in most places. It had not yet been compacted. This was a lot of fun in the Jeep, but would have been difficult on the bikes, especially for Sarah as she doesn't like riding in anything deep and loose. The corners got tighter and slower as we ascended. Eventually we reached the summit and there was a small camp area with trail maps displayed under a cover and what looked like new vault toilets. It was now 38 F at around 3:15-3:30pm on a sunny day! The toilets were very clean and did not smell at all. We just had to tolerate TONS of Daddy Long Leg spiders all over the walls and floor inside! It didn't bother me or Daniel, but I don't think Sarah cared for them! Seeing the time, we knew we had to start heading back to town. I REALLY wanted to keep going though. Someday I will ride up in these mountains and explore all these roads.

As was usual, the run back went faster than the run out. We got back into town, found a car wash, and I got busy knocking all the mud off the Jeep. We didn't have to get it spotless, just basically clean. Then we gassed up. But we still had some time left, so we decided to drive out UT 128 along the Colorado River the way we had come into town a few days ago so we could see the canyons one more time. The sun was getting low and it made for dramatic lighting. Then it was back to town, top off the gas, and drop off the Jeep. There were no new dings or scrapes, so no extra fees. That said, there were almost $100 in taxes and state, county, and city "fees" tacked on to the bill! So the total for two days of rental came to about $675. I have to say that the Jeep experience was really nice. We all agreed that being in a Jeep was nice. Yes, riding the bikes out here would also be fun, at least for me and Daniel, but it was also nice to not have to worry about one wrong move putting one of us on the ground and potentially hurting one of us and tearing up a bike. It's not that we didn't have to be careful in the Jeep. It was just a different kind of being careful with different consequences for a mistake. The odds of making a mistake are also considerably lower in the Jeep as it doesn't require quite the same level of skill and concentration on any given terrain. Besides, being able to roll up the windows and close the top when it got freaking cold was kind of nice :-P

As we were walking back to the hotel, we ran into Jerome and Jess, the couple we met yesterday at the Mineral Canyon switchbacks. They were going to get dinner at a bar/grill near the hotel. They invited us to join them, but this was a place that required you to be 21 to get in. They thought Sarah and Daniel would be fine to get in. It was then that I pointed out she was the "big" sister at 19 and he was the "little" brother, having just recently turned 17. They got a kick out of that. We talked a bit more and then went our separate ways. When we got back to the hotel I found a note on my bike. Janet, the lady from the hot tub visit last night, had left a very nice note for us thanking us for the visit and wishing us safe journey for the last few days of the trip. That was kind of cool. It was still early since we had to get the Jeep back so early in the evening, so we hung out for a while and then eventually decided to go get dinner. While walking back from the rental company we had passed the Moab Diner and stopped in to look at their menu. We decided then we'd come back for dinner. It was a good choice! This was a large classic diner with typical diner food, which included serving breakfast during all hours. The pancakes were HUGE!! I was able to finish my sausage and eggs, but could only barely put away one of the pancakes. I had to stop before making myself sick. Sarah got something smaller so she could save room for ice cream. I failed to do that. It was a good thing she did though as her "one scoop" was massive! She was a bit surprised when they brought it out to her. She gave it a good effort but was not able to finish it. Stuffed and swollen, we waddled back to the hotel. Daniel headed inside to start editing videos, texting friends, etc,... Sarah and I decided to go walking as atonement for our gluttony. We essentially walked to the Northern edge of town and back, which made me kind of thirsty. We were already getting close to the hotel when I decided I wanted to go back to a gas station a few blocks back and grab a beer to enjoy while sitting out on the hotel's second floor patio area. That turned out to be a full blown ordeal that required FAR more walking than the beer was finally worth in the end. I had no idea it would be so hard just to find ONE beer that was not 20 oz or bigger to drink. I don't know why, but the big beer cans are far more prevalent in Utah than the typical 12 oz cans in Texas. I eventually found a single serving Fosters and got back to the hotel after working off some serious calories! Sarah and I sat out on the patio and enjoyed another beautiful evening. She did whatever she does on her phone and I spent time just reflecting on our trip and that it was coming to an all too rapid closure.

Tomorrow we'd be heading to Farmington and that would be it. The bikes would be loaded on the trailer and we'd start the boring drone across New Mexico and Northwest Texas. I'd still have some time off as I would not be going back to work until November 1st. I knew we couldn't stay on the road indefinitely, and part of me really didn't want to. But, there is another part of me that dreads going back to the daily routine of the last five years that made those five years go by like a flash. Even though the trip felt like it had gone by quickly, the start of the trip seemed like so long ago. At home, the days blurred together in one similar day after another with nothing to really distinguish one day from another, thus making time seem like it had been compressed into a moment. On the trip, even though we had a daily routine, each day presented something new and unique that kept them from all just blurring together in a homogeneous lump. This made time feel like it was passing slower from one day to the next, stretching it out rather than compressing it. We were living life, not just existing... The last five years of my life had felt almost like I was imprisoned because of my inability to get far from home due to work. The last 49 days I have finally felt free again. Who wants to go back to prison after having been freed? Still, there are bills to be paid and responsibilities. I am in no place where I can even remotely consider retiring. I just wish I could find something to do that would pay the necessary bills while still allowing me to live each day rather than just exist. I had hoped that somewhere along the way I might meet someone or come up with some idea that might provide me a real opportunity to change how I support my family in a way that would let me have more time to do things other than just work. That didn't happen. That said, I realize I have been blessed with a job that got me to a place financially where I could afford to take three months off, buy bikes and gear for the kids, and pay for a trip like this. As many people have mentioned along the way, this could easily be a once in a lifetime kind of trip and I am incredibly grateful to have been able to spend this time with Sarah and Daniel, seeing so many amazing places, riding great roads, and meeting so many cool people! A LOT of people never get the chance to do something like this. This helps take some of the sting off going back to the grind, but it will still be a grind.

Heading West out of town on Kane Springs Creek Rd.
IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_9725.JPG

IMG_9726.JPG

This corner got the Jeep tipped sideways pretty good!
IMG_9727.JPG

IMG_9728.JPG

IMG_9729.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

The road rounds the corner right where all the clouds converge
IMG_9734.JPG

The road goes left to right at the center of the image
IMG_9735.JPG

A pull out on a promontory along the way to Hurrah Pass
IMG_9736.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

Nice smooth part of the road
IMG_9738.JPG

Balanced rocks abound...
IMG_9739.JPG

Potash ponds across the river
IMG_9740.JPG

Atop Hurrah Pass
IMG_9741.JPG

IMG_9742.JPG

IMG_9743.JPG

Small step heading down the West side of Hurrah Pass
IMG_9744.JPG

Sheer and LONG drops!
IMG_9745.JPG

This is not a lens distortion. It looks this way in person as well...
IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9747.JPG

IMG_9748.JPG

Making sure no one was coming before I start heading down this corner
IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

The "road" runs along the bottom edge of the rock formations
IMG_9751.JPG

And now we get into the sand!
IMG_9752.JPG

Heading back after getting a ways out onto Lockhart Basin Road and playing in more sand
IMG_9753.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG

LOTS of blind corners
IMG_9756.JPG

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

IMG_9759.JPG

Fracture analysis engineers get excited about this kind of image :-P
IMG_9760.JPG

IMG_9761.JPG

IMG_9762.JPG

Back near Moab on Kane Springs Creek Road
IMG_9764.JPG

Bike trails down in center right and lower right
IMG_9765.JPG

A few minutes outside of town before we got lunch
IMG_9766.JPG

Heading toward La Sal mountains on start of the La Sal Loop
IMG_9767.JPG

Fresh snow from rains that came through last night
IMG_9768.JPG

IMG_9769.JPG

IMG_9770.JPG

IMG_9771.JPG

Super nice road!
IMG_9772.JPG

IMG_9773.JPG

IMG_9774.JPG

Everywhere we've been on this trip there have been huge fires in the not so distant past.
IMG_9775.JPG

IMG_9776.JPG

Fun switchbacks as we neared the top
IMG_9777.JPG

Up into the snow near the top of Geyser Pass
IMG_9778.JPG

IMG_9779.JPG

IMG_9780.JPG

Windshield got a bit dirty after blasting through a BIG mud puddle
IMG_9781.JPG

IMG_9782.JPG

IMG_9783.JPG

City of Moab center right of image
IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785.JPG

Looking West towards the Colorado River
IMG_9786.JPG

Heading back out along UT 128 before having to take the Jeep back
IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_9788.JPG

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_9790.JPG

That is supposedly ONE scoop!
IMG_9791.JPG

Saw this in the parking lot of a hotel. How cool is this!?
IMG_9792.JPG

Can be yours for a mere $24K... :brainsnap
IMG_9793.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9795.JPG

Sarah decided that she would NEVER stay in this hotel :lol2:
IMG_9796.JPG

Inside the lobby!
IMG_9797.JPG

On the wall outside the lobby
IMG_9798.JPG

The 2nd floor patio area at our hotel, a nice spot to end an evening.
IMG_9799.JPG

Last edited:
This morning I had trouble with YouTube not playing well with my do-not-track / ad- blocker software (Ghostery etc). YT may have made some changes in the last few days.
Hmmm... Daniel mentioned something recently about how the adblockers on his computer were no longer working on YouTube. Apparently YouTube did something that makes them not work? I had not noticed any issue as all on my computer until last night. However, if I go to YouTube and watch any video, I never see any ads regardless of the video length.

That's going to make a nice dent in something some day when it finally comes down

I've always wanted to take a little HF bottle jack out to one of those rocks just to see if it would tip on over. With my luck, it would go the wrong way.

I see I might need to add that jeep destination to my list.

Great report. So many amazing pictures and such rare adventures with younguns... some very successful books have been published using far fewer resources. Focusing on the human elements and including parallel perspectives from both the mature and coming of age points of view would surely appeal to a wide audience... sort of like the parallel bibles where a passage from the synoptics are presented side by side to paint a deeper and broader description of a common experience. Think of "Freedom on both ends of the leash" and "Blue highways" told from three very unique perspectives. Just a thought...

Days fifty and fifty one (fifty one and fifty two), Our last day on the bikes, Snow on the mountains, Beautiful trees, and the longgg drive home

Monday, October 2nd, and Tuesday, October 3rd. We finally made it home early evening on Wednesday, October 4th. I turned 57 on October 5th.

So it was the last day... Our mood was a mix of subdued and excited. Think of it this way. We were sad the trip was coming to an end but also kind of excited to be getting back home. The original plan was to just run down US 191 to Bluff, UT, cut over to US 160 near the Four Corners area, and then run back down through the Four Corners to US 64 and head back through Shiprock to Farmington. Essentially a quick but boring ride. I wasn't ready to embrace the "get there" mentality of the boring route and suggested to the kids that we cut South of the Manti-La Sal NF on UT 46 to CO 90 and come in to CO 141 at Naturita and head back over the mountains South of Telluride on CO 145. They liked that idea. So we got the bikes loaded, gassed up, and headed out of town around 10:00am. The run down US 191 was not real quick because of construction. There were a few places where we had to stop and sit for a bit. Once on UT 46 we quickly passed through the town of La Sal and then the road started getting a bit more interesting and fun. There are a few switchbacks in the highway shortly before reaching the Utah/Colorado border that were fun! There were quite a few antique cars going the other way, and I mean REALLY antique, like from the 1920s-1930s. Some even had wood spoke wheels! The road follows La Sal creek down out of the mountains into Colorado, dropping from around 7000 ft to 5500 ft. The middle section near the state lines is fun sweepers and each end of the run has fun tight twisties and switchbacks. Once we reach Paradox, CO., the road straightens out and just runs along the length of Paradox Valley until just before we reach Naturita.

As we were crossing the state lines, Daniel mentioned that his low oil pressure warning light had come on!! These bikes don't hold a lot of oil, so that was a bit of a concern. I looked for a place that might have oil in Naturita, but no luck. Same for Redvale just down the road. As we come into Norwood I spotted a performance store that looked like it might have what we need and pulled over. The owner came out and I explained what the problem was. He immediately sprang into action, getting Daniel's bike back into the shop area and giving it a looking over. We could not find any evidence of leaks and I had not noticed any smoking, but it seems the bike just uses oil and Daniel had not been keeping an eye on it throughout the trip. Once that warning popped up, he did keep an eye on the temp gauge and it never went up. We ended up putting a little over 1/2 liter in it. I checked Sarah's bike as well and it was slightly low, so I topped it off with the remainder of the oil. The guy was super friendly. In the end, I think I paid less than $20 for the oil and nothing for the labor. It was even the odd 15-50W synthetic oil we needed. So we spent less than 20 minutes at the shop and were soon back on the road :thumb: We could already see in the distance that the San Juan Mountains had received quite a bit of snow since we were last there three or four days ago!

We made quick work of the run down the San Miguel River canyon on CO 145 and started climbing up toward Telluride. As the road slowly bent to the East, we saw more and more of the snow. ALL of the mountains in the area had a heavy layer of snow on them now! It was amazing. We stopped at the gas station just South of the roundabout on CO 145 to get gas, grab a light lunch, and some drinks. Sarah took the time to bundle up a bit because it was going to be cold going over Lizard Head Pass even though it was an incredibly beautiful day! The trees were now also in full color. There was a good bit of traffic as a result, but that didn't really bother me as I was stopping all over the place to get pictures. The kids got out in front of me right away and I never saw them again until we reached the top of Lizard Head Pass. They had pulled over there and were waiting for me. I stopped so we could grab some more pictures. The run from there on down to Dolores was really nice. Most of the traffic was back up by Telluride. At Dolores we cot over to Mancos on CO 184 and picked up US 160. We stopped to top off the bikes in Mancos and get a snack, then ran US 160 over to CO 140 for the run South to Farmington, arriving at the truck around 5:00pm. We got the truck out of the parking area and started loading the bikes. The kids were hungry so we headed to the nearest Chickfila. We rolled out of Farmington and started the drive home about 7:00pm. The plan was to head to Santa Rosa (not Santa Elana as I had thought), and get a hotel for the night. Then we'd get up and do the run home Wednesday.

As we were heading out of town it was already getting dark. When we started the trip in the middle of August, it wasn't getting dark until shortly after 9:00pm, which I like. Now, a mere 50 days later, it was getting dark almost two hours earlier! This I do not like! We ran US 550 down to Albuquerque and then picked up I-40. As we were coming into Cuba on US 550, the sky was glowing orange off to one side of the highway. As we crested a hill, two massive flames were shooting up into the night sky! I woke up Daniel and had him grab his phone so he could get a video of it. It wasn't like those burn off torches you see at refineries or in the oil field. These were more like jet engines with the nozzles facing up. As we were passing by them with the window down, we could really hear the roar and feel the heat! A few miles down the road we pulled into a gas station so I could fill up the truck. I asked the clerk inside if he had any idea what was happening. Apparently a gas line that feeds Los Alamos had a problem and they were burning off the gas in the line so they could work on it. It had been burning since 9:00am and it was now about 9:00pm. That is a LOT of gas!!?? We reached Clines Corner about 11:30pm. It was COLD. We were just there for a restroom break and to get some drinks. I heard a bike pull in and it was a guy on one of the new Ducati Desert X bikes. Yeah, I HAD to go talk to him. His name was James Biggins and he was from Sun City Center in Florida. The bike was brand new. I am not sure where he was headed, but he said he was trying to make it to Santa Fe tonight... He wasn't really prepared for the cold and looked like he was shivering while we were talking. Fortunately, he did not have much further to go! We wished him well and got back on the road.

When we reached Santa Rosa, I really wasn't feeling like stopping. I figured we'd go ahead and make the run to Amarillo. I am usually up till 2:00am anyway so it wouldn't be an issue for me to stay up. If you've ever been out here, you know it is FLAT and you can see a long way! I was watching a big lightning show for a long time before we ever arrived in Amarillo. By the time we did arrive, the storms were gone. However, the rain had made the feed lots around town REALLY smell, like so bad the ammonia smell was burning my nose and throat while going through town! We were NOT stopping here! So I got us on US 287 and we started heading Southeast toward Wichita Falls. I was in a groove and still not feeling sleepy, so I just kept on cruising. Somewhere along the way I made the decision that we were not going to get a hotel just to stop for a few hours and we'd just push on through to get home. Somewhere after Wichita Falls I also realized I was finally getting sleepy and needed to stop driving. Shortly after sunrise I pulled into a station to fill up the truck and told Daniel he was up. He's driven the truck with the trailer before, but not through an unfamiliar big city with heavy traffic. As we reached the outskirts of Ft. Worth I felt the truck braking harder than normal, accelerating harder than normal, and changing lanes a lot. I woke up to find we were in pretty heavy traffic even though it was around 9:30am. I told Daniel he needed to just pick a lane and stick with it, use SMALL adjustments to the steering so the trailer wouldn't start wagging, brake early and go easy on the acceleration. 4000 RPM will do just fine rather than stomping on the gas and getting us up to 6000-6500 RPM, even though it sounds cool! It took us a while to get through Ft. Worth and down to the South side of Dallas on I-45, but he did fine. He does now have a greater appreciation for why Mom and Dad would get on him about being rowdy in the car when we were in heavy traffic :-P Once on I-45, it was like we were basically home. Traffic moved pretty quick and we were pulling in the driveway sometime around 2:30pm.

Done. All that planning and preparing, all the riding and crazy experiences, all the cool people, everything... now just awesome memories. We were home safe. The bikes were in good condition. We were in good condition. Daniel finally felt that it was safe to point out that we rode 8200 miles and none of us ever got a flat tire. I had been thinking the exact same thing but didn't want to say anything either until we got home! Sarah's shoulder had not been giving her any trouble for the last three weeks or so. Her riding confidence and skill on the pavement and dirt had gone up considerably. Daniel never lacked the skill, but he was finally starting to understand why I had been riding him about how fast he had been riding and about hin getting separated from us while riding. Prior to the trip I had been praying that we'd have a safe trip, meet interesting people, have experiences that would help us grow, and more. As the saying goes, "Be careful what you pray for!" The experiences that really bond people together usually involve some kind of trauma, problems, or crisis. That got off the ground on the first day and continued for a good portion of the trip. The kids learned that we had to be flexible and just play the cards we were dealt. They did a great job of keeping a good attitude with minimal grumbling and they managed to get along and not kill each other despite being in close contact for 53 days. Sarah worked hard at not letting her fear of heights and of engaging with people keep her from having fun on the trip. Daniel stepped up in a big way on quite a few days to help get us out of potentially serious situations and he learned that the trip was about everyone having fun and getting through it safely, not just him. That's a BIG deal for any 17 year old guy! I didn't pray for patience because I know better ;-) Nonetheless, there were a few times where I had to stop, take a few deep breaths, make serious eye contact, and lay out how it was gonna be. In the end, most of my memories are of the kids being REALLY excited about the riding, the scenery, meeting new people, and all of us laughing a lot every day, even on the rough days. Can it get any better than that?

UT 46 just before the Colorado border
IMG_9802.JPG

IMG_9803.JPG

IMG_9804.JPG

Seen at the shop in Norwood on CO 145.
IMG_9806.JPG

I hate being cold, but it might be worth it to ride one of these :-P
IMG_9807.JPG

Daniel LOVES trucks like this!
IMG_9808.JPG

Not sure if that is a DR 650 on the back or not? Maybe a 400?
IMG_9809.JPG

Great place to stop if you need help. The staff were super friendly.
IMG_9810.JPG

The view coming into Telluride from the North
IMG_9811.JPG

IMG_9812.JPG

IMG_9814.JPG

IMG_9815.JPG

IMG_9816.JPG

Black Bear and Imogene passes covered in snow
IMG_9817.JPG

Heading South out of Telluride on CO 145
IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9819.JPG

IMG_9820.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9825.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG

IMG_9830.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG

IMG_9834.JPG

Trout Lake on CO 145. It was virtually snowless 3-4 days ago.
IMG_9835.JPG

IMG_9836.JPG

Lizard Head Pass
IMG_9837.JPG

IMG_9838.JPG

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9840.JPG

IMG_9841.JPG

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9843.JPG

Back at the truck
IMG_9844.JPG

IMG_9845.JPG

IMG_9847.JPG

Amazingly, the truck started first try after sitting for 49 days
IMG_9848.JPG

HAVE to get their Chikfila fix in :roll:
IMG_9849.JPG

Photo proof that I have in fact seen a sunrise...
IMG_9851.JPG

Safely tucked away until next time...
IMG_9852.JPG

A good washing is in their future...
IMG_9853.JPG

And that is a wrap! I might do some posts or videos about specific gear, luggage, bikes, etc,... and how things worked on the trip as I get the time.

Already today I have had several clients trying to contact me wanting to know when I am coming back to work. I have decided to make some changes though. I am raising my rates, setting night time hours where I will no longer work or take calls, and adding six weeks of time off per year. That letter will be going out tomorrow. It remains to be seen how many will continue to use me going forward :shrug: It is hard to stress just how badly I needed this break. Despite being physically tired from the riding, I can't remember how long it had been since I last felt as good physically and mentally as I did during the trip. Just the overall stress and tension in my body dropped noticeably. Despite our horrible eating habits, I still managed to lose 17 lbs over the course of the trip. As were were getting closer to home though, I could feel that tension building in my body even though I knew I still had another month before going back to work. Once home, any time we'd go somewhere that was more than 30-40 miles from home, I would start feeling really anxious because I felt like I needed to stay close to home in case work came in, even though I was still on vacation! I went riding with Sarah last Saturday and we ventured further from home than I would normally go and I mentioned to her while riding that I could feel my body physically reacting to being that far from home. I didn't miss that at all....

Daniel wants to do a trip that involves more technical riding than what we did on this trip. If that happens, it will definitely mean different bikes for both of us. Those KTM 690 Enduros sure look nice... :trust:

Last edited:
Great ending to an epic ride Scott. I am so happy for you and the kids getting to have this adventure. Time with our kids is the only thing they understand regardless of age. This is a good reminder to do the same with mine.
Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Here is a screen shot of the entire route, with the exception of our Jeep excursion up to Geyser Pass in the La Sal mountains. I did not realize my GPS battery had died and it was not plugged in inside the Jeep. We ran the bulk of it in a clockwise direction. Not sure I am going to take the time to post up the actual GPX files because they are all in bits and pieces. The GPS auto saves tracks during the day and I didn't always manually save the tracks at the end of each day. So trying to go in and clean them all up and sorting them into full tracks for each day would be a LOT of work. I tried to give route descriptions and road designations in each day's report, so if you REALLY want to know, just go back and read it all again :-P My Bike showed total miles to be 8180 from Famington back to Farmington. Total trip time on the bikes was 51 days, two days there in the truck and one day back in the truck for a total of 54 days.

Track Overview Entire Trip.jpg

Last edited:
[EDIT: It's all been fixed now]

So about 2:00am last night I was looking at adding a post to the beginning of the thread to include some stuff I left out from the first part of the trip. I figured out how to do that. However, I inadvertently made the test post the first post of the thread. When I went to delete the test post, it deleted this entire thread because it was the first post. I did not snap to that and hit "Permanently delete" rather than the delete that just hides the content from view for non-admin users. The EXACT instant I clicked the button, I realized what I had just done... The ENTIRE thread was permanently deleted from the forum database and there was NO WAY to undo the delete. I thought I was going to puke on my desk :puke: I said a quick prayer, took a deep breath or ten, and tried to calm myself down. I knew the ONLY way to recover the thread was to immediately shut down the forum and use the most recent database backup to do a restore over the active database. The forum had to be shut down immediately to prevent anyone else from adding new content that would just be lost when the backup overwrote the active database. I got REALLY lucky! The forum is setup to create a backup of the database every night. It does this around 1:00am I think. So at most, in doing the restore we might have lost about an hour of board activity. There weren't many people on the forum at that time, so hopefully there was very little data loss. My hosting service support techs got the database restored from the backup around 4:00am. As you can see, this thread is intact. However, if you go back to this post in the thread,

You will notice that the images in the beginning of the post are not showing. In fact, this is the case for every post prior to that one. I have looked at other ride report threads and don't see anything similar, so I have no clue what is going on. I have posted on the Xenforo support forums and hopefully they will have an easy fix. If not, I can probably go back through all the posts and re-upload all the attachments. It will be a royal pain and take a lot of time, but it is what it is... :shrug:

It is now 4:30am. I feel slightly better and no longer want to puke :-P I should probably go to bed before Beth has to get up for work in an hour or so...

Last edited:
I'm almost sad to see the story end. I've been following it every morning since it started. So even though it was just 3 of you riding, you were certainly not alone on this journey. I hope to do something like this one day, sooner than later.

And you left out one important part of the ending of the story:

When you got back you ended the trip at a meetup at a bbq place and met a really cool guy, Charliez

[EDIT: It's all been fixed now]

So the images in my posts up to Day 28 are gone. I will have to re-upload them. The good thing is that all the text and video links are still there. So inconvenient, but not the end of the world. ONLY this thread was affected. I was going to go back through the report and fill out the text narratives and image descriptions anyway, so I will just re-upload the images as I go. I also have a TON of video from my helmet cam, the 360 cam, and the drone. That will take a lot more time to sort through and edit, but that will eventually be added to this thread as well.

Last edited:
So the images in my posts up to Day 28 are gone. I will have to re-upload them. The good thing is that all the text and video links are still there. So inconvenient, but not the end of the world. ONLY this thread was affected. I was going to go back through the report and fill out the text narratives and image descriptions anyway, so I will just re-upload the images as I go. I also have a TON of video from my helmet cam, the 360 cam, and the drone. That will take a lot more time to sort through and edit, but that will eventually be added to this thread as well.

To hope I never have the same problem do you know why there are gone?

I already lost all the photos I had linked on my reports 2012 or older when the web hosting site went belly up.

When I delete a thread, the images are not immediately removed from the system. There is a CRON job that runs 10 minutes after every hour that goes in and removes old images. It would seem that the images for the first 27 days or so got whacked by that CRON job and the others survived because I was able to get the database restored from a backup so quickly. Another ten minutes and I probably would have lost the remainder of the images as well. Fortunately, no other threads were affected since they were not deleted prior to the restore.

When I delete a thread, the images are not immediately removed from the system. There is a CRON job that runs 10 minutes after every hour that goes in and removes old images. It would seem that the images for the first 27 days or so got whacked by that CRON job and the others survived because I was able to get the database restored from a backup so quickly. Another ten minutes and I probably would have lost the remainder of the images as well. Fortunately, no other threads were affected since they were not deleted prior to the restore.
Thanks for the explanation, I should be good then.

On another note, you should have a PM from me on another topic. Thanks

Well, I am slowly working my way back through the whole report, revising the narratives to be more complete and adding descriptions to the images. I am also trying to standardize how they look, putting the day number, day of the week, and date at the start of each. This was something my Mom wanted to see :-P Then I am putting the review video next followed by the narrative and then the images with descriptions. Depending how much time I have, I can get a day or three done each day maybe. I don't know when I'll be able to start getting some of the actual riding videos edited, but I will go back and add those to the corresponding day as I get them edited. Then, as I get time, I will try to do a bike/gear review if anyone is really interested in that.

In the early days of my riding, I WAS going to start a channel about riding Texas and the history about why and where I go there, but dad gum that's a lot of work.

I wondered where it went , i was off the internet for a couple weeks after heading south from Wyoming and was looking for this earlier in the week and couldnt find it . I prefer to drive at night in Texas , too many big city's too close together to try to get anywhere in the daytime . So many trips when i leave here i will work on loading stuff all day finish up around 10 or 11:00 , cleanup and hit the road . I really like crossing the border into colorado just after daylight . It seems a little harder to do that when im driving home .

Awesome trip , its going to be hard to top this one . I doubt you'll have any problem with customers over your new rate and work structure , a couple years ago i decided to charge the same rates dealers do when they had to load up pieces of machinery at the dealer and bring them to me because the dealer gave up and couldn't fix them . I haven't called anybody yet this year and told them im back home .

Well, I am slowly working my way back through the whole report, revising the narratives to be more complete and adding descriptions to the images. I am also trying to standardize how they look, putting the day number, day of the week, and date at the start of each. This was something my Mom wanted to see :-P Then I am putting the review video next followed by the narrative and then the images with descriptions. Depending how much time I have, I can get a day or three done each day maybe. I don't know when I'll be able to start getting some of the actual riding videos edited, but I will go back and add those to the corresponding day as I get them edited. Then, as I get time, I will try to do a bike/gear review if anyone is really interested in that.
A lot of time and effort is going into this, but your kids will cherish it forever. I hope you also have all of this saved on an SSD, thumb drive, or something secure.

A lot of time and effort is going into this, but your kids will cherish it forever. I hope you also have all of this saved on an SSD, thumb drive, or something secure.
The entire forum database is backed up daily. Also, I think my hosting service does daily "flashes" of the entire server to capture the entire filesystem. Once I am done, I have installed an "Export thread" option that will let me send everything to an HTML link and I can print that to a PDF.

Added Daniel's descent footage from day nine... It shows him getting pretty far down and also gives a good view of how rough it got. Last but not least, he managed to capture me going over on the GS :doh:

Back