• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tips for short riders by Jocelyn Snow

Reaction score
If your verticaly challenged, check her out on YouTube. She's only 5'1" and rides the big GSA 1200 both on and off road. Good tips for not so tall folks. I wish I could bring her in to train me to teach these techniques. As an instructor I am always faced with teaching short folks and nobody builds training bikes for shorter people.

Bikes for short people? I think they call them cruisers! =P

Seriously though I have short legs myself, though not as bad as some. I always find myself drawn to taller bikes too. It just makes you learn to keep your feet up which you really ought to do anyway. I think it makes you a better rider, though it can occasionally make for sure embarrassing low to no speed tip overs!

All the tips and tricks are well and good, but the problems are always when stopped, especially when you stop quickly and unexpectedly. Having a rider go down in front of you and laying there needing your help while you play the shifty back and forth tippy toe game trying to get your kickstand down on uneven terrain isn't very fun. Sure you could throw your own bike down, but now you'll have TWO bikes to pick up.

Back