• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TMGP - Texas Mini Grand Prix - going strong in 2023

I realized today I didn't give an update to the last round but we had a fun weekend. We took a vote in the riders meeting and agreed to make all the races 6 laps verses the regular 8. It was so hot that I think it was a good choice. As usual there was a lot of good racing. My wife recorded all the races from the flagstand and tries to get footage of everybody. The kids had a good turnout with 12 & under, and Junior Motard being good races. The Formula 6 and Grom races with several of us all in contention for the top step of the podium and Motard Novice were good battles from start to finish.
Here's the playlist with all the races with the exception of Race 15 - 12 & Under that we missed due to a battery issue.

For the next round we head to Denton Sept 16-17
I had a blast!!! First time racing with TMGP and it was great. Everyone was friendly, helpful and the whole thing was great. Well organized, tons of races and as the OP stayed, a bang for your buck! Going to miss the Denton round due to worn but looking forward to the next round in Katy!

The Denton Saturday endurance on 9/16 is going to be a 5pm-9pm race so it'll at least cool down as the race goes on. Sunday sprints will be regular all-day, hot or not!
Here's the weekend schedule: https://texasminigrandprix.com/round6d.php

Note that for the last 2023 round in Katy Nov 11-12, there is no endurance and we'll instead run sprints on Saturday. Then Sunday will be fun and games such as slow races, obstacle course, relay races and SOMETIMES... 2-up races with it all followed up with year end awards and typically pizza.

Here's a few of the fun activities from 2022:

2-up race:
relay races:
and
Obstacle/mapped race:

Compared to previous weekends, you have pleasant weather this coming weekend up here.

Also, I'm out on the relay race. No idea why, but I always try to get a head start at gearing up when riding with friends and then I look up and everyone is geared up on their bikes waiting on me to get my gloves on. Nobody wants me on their team for that race. :D

oh wow, I just now looked at the forecast. If that's even remotely close it'll be awesome!

I actually try to bring the simplest gloves and boots for the relay. If you have Sidi's or Forma boots with all the buckles and attachments, it's a lost cause! lol If you watch closely in the videos you can see my group helping one of the kids get dressed AND another group helping one of the adults! lol

Yep, the Dallas Mid September climate change is in progress, and it's AWESOME! Wednesday's high temp will be the same as what our low temps were last week.

We had our best turnout in a while at Denton last weekend with multiple grids with over 10 entries and 29 total races. We had a little sprinkle of rain Saturday night at the end of the endurance race but it was otherwise dry the rest of the weekend. And temps slightly cooler where we didn't sweat to death made it that much better.

Here's the playlist of all the videos in case anybody is interested in any particular class:
The Grom race and Formula 6 classes were pretty big and the folks in Unlimited were flying!
And speaking of flying.... we had some fantastic racing in Formula 5 Heavyweight until the red flag came out at about 5 minutes into the race.. The rider was mostly ok...he left under his own power anyway but he DID get some air time..

We go back to Denton October 7-8. Saturday endurance will be a regular daytime race this time, starting around 12:30-1pm

I was 2-3 bikes back and that one scared me. At least he came down short of the tire wall behind the hill and didn't hit anything but the ground from about 10 feet in the air! Still beat up his knees and ankles from the hard landing.

I've talked to the rider in the video several times and nothing is broken but he has some awesome bruising

The last endurance race of 2023 is in Denton this Saturday Oct 7 followed by sprints on Sunday. This will be a daytime endurance starting around 1pm. This is the last Denton round of 2023 as well.

The final round of 2023 will be in Katy November 11-12. Sprints will be on Saturday and Sunday will be fun and games in the morning with year-end awards and usually pizza around noon.

dang, going to miss Denton (again) but already practicing (to not finish last) for the F5 races in Katy in November!

2024 Season starts in 2 weeks, in Katy March 16-17
Here's the full schedule minus a 6 hour endurance at Speedsportz in New Caney, date TDB
MAR: 16-17 in Katy
MAY: 11-12 in Katy
JUN: 22-23 in Denton
JUL: 27-28 in Katy
AUG: 24-25 in Denton
SEP: 28-29 in Denton
NOV: 2-3 in Katy

Update for the schedule... We should be at SpeedSportz in October, and they're working out details to go to hopefully go to KartMoto at Cresson likely in June.

Now... the 2024 season got off to a bang this past weekend. We managed to have a dry Saturday for the endurance race. It tried to mist a little at one point and a few raindrops fell but neither had much effect other than maybe increasing laptimes by a second or 2, then it dried back up.

Sunday sprints were a mixed bag... Dry in the morning for some fast, close racing..

Then after lunch it rained and stayed wet the rest of the day.. There were still a few good battles beyond walking speed for those with rain tires... Those without however faced their own struggles:
OOPS, I thought I had this video ready on youtube but it's not uploaded yet.. Well, I'll add it tonight for the 2024 season opener slips and slides

Last video was great. Almost looked like fun crashing there.

One thing I think is really needed that seems hard to find, is a new rider guide to get folks in. Something that would be very helpful, possibly, community driven, would be a short list of recommended bikes to get started in MiniGP on. Bikes that fit classes, that are inexpensive and plentiful on the market with aftermarket support. I've found that this seems to be very difficult to figure out for those on the outside, but for the folks that have been doing this for a few years, they should be able to quickly rattle off a quick list. Maybe a poll or something that would have results to guide new riders into the sport.

I agree. I try to promote stuff like through here and other channels. My F6 Lightweight/heavyweight video apparently has been getting external hits with several hundred views where normally they get like.. 10. lol

I'm not doing big bike (CMRA) this year for more time to do other stuff and I'm hoping I can work with the TMGP promoters to expand on the available info and visibility. I TOTALLY agree that a new rider guide would help get people started. CMRA has a "class courtesy guide" listing some classes and example bikes that fit. I may try to put something together like that as well.

For the "how do I get started" questions, those responses are often humorous as they become a string of "I have a good bike you can buy" and it'll be some ill-setup 2-stroke that would be a nightmare for a new racer both from the maintenance and rideability aspect! lol I think that's why Groms have gotten even more popular. They're plentiful, easy to upgrade, and almost anybody fits on one!

I had a TON of fun with Mini GP in the last decade.

If anyone is thinking of getting into it, I have a Formula 7 bike; heavily modified Honda XR100. I'm hoping to sell it to someone who will go race this thing and I have loads of spare parts and extras to go with it! Tire warmers, stands, everything!

Back