• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TORCS 2022

Well, yesterday was a hot one, but a ridiculous amount of fun was had otherwise. Pre-hydration, preparation, shade tent, and PMA saved the day. I loved the course last year when I had no idea what I was doing, so there was no way I was gonna let Texas heat get in the way of a good time. My 11 year old had a great time, finally getting off the line quickly with a one kick start, crashed like only he knows how, and finished 5 out of 6 in 85c. He also did a practice lap with the big bikes and crashed (twice) in the dried ruts out in the woods. He‘ll learn how to relax and read terrain one day….maybe I will too.

I felt like my riding was more consistent than its ever been from first to last lap and think I was relatively quick throughout (for a slow noob). I actually passed several riders from other classes during the race, and had a fantastic time holding some people off in the XC section. I’m sure a big handful of 450 had more to do with that than anything I was doing.

Speaking of, my fourth lap was spent trying to hold off a guy named Damon, I believe (we met after the race). I didn’t realize that the race had been shortened from 70 to 60 minutes and we were right about at 60 when approaching the last turns. Thinking I had one more lap to do (and running low on energy), I quit trying to hold him off and he squeezed past me not 100 yards from the checkered flag. That brain fart knocked me down to 12th, I believe. We congratulated each other at the pits and had a good chuckle at my expense, but that’s gonna chap my rear for a while. Had I known that was the last lap I’d have kicked him into the woods (kidding, of course. He seems a real good dude, and I appreciate him pushing me. Good times!). Lesson learned!

@Aspear, hope your foot wasn’t a problem! Hope all the racers, volunteers, and families stayed safe and had as much fun as we did!
FB648DBD-0751-4141-98A5-123709FFC146.jpeg
4846ACC8-3CFF-4D85-A542-D935154AD998.jpeg

Well, yesterday was a hot one, but a ridiculous amount of fun was had otherwise. Pre-hydration, preparation, shade tent, and PMA saved the day. I loved the course last year when I had no idea what I was doing, so there was no way I was gonna let Texas heat get in the way of a good time. My 11 year old had a great time, finally getting off the line quickly with a one kick start, crashed like only he knows how, and finished 5 out of 6 in 85c. He also did a practice lap with the big bikes and crashed (twice) in the dried ruts out in the woods. He‘ll learn how to relax and read terrain one day….maybe I will too.

I felt like my riding was more consistent than its ever been from first to last lap and think I was relatively quick throughout (for a slow noob). I actually passed several riders from other classes during the race, and had a fantastic time holding some people off in the XC section. I’m sure a big handful of 450 had more to do with that than anything I was doing.

Speaking of, my fourth lap was spent trying to hold off a guy named Damon, I believe (we met after the race). I didn’t realize that the race had been shortened from 70 to 60 minutes and we were right about at 60 when approaching the last turns. Thinking I had one more lap to do (and running low on energy), I quit trying to hold him off and he squeezed past me not 100 yards from the checkered flag. That brain fart knocked me down to 12th, I believe. We congratulated each other at the pits and had a good chuckle at my expense, but that’s gonna chap my rear for a while. Had I known that was the last lap I’d have kicked him into the woods (kidding, of course. He seems a real good dude, and I appreciate him pushing me. Good times!). Lesson learned!

@Aspear, hope your foot wasn’t a problem! Hope all the racers, volunteers, and families stayed safe and had as much fun as we did!View attachment 323037View attachment 323038
Foot was fine, I worked my way up to 3rd, stayed there for 3 laps then got hot faded bad and had to pull off. Had the 3rd fastest time of the race.

Going to give it another shot today

Attachments

• 20220612_071201.jpg
    20220612_071201.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 106
Foot was fine, I worked my way up to 3rd, stayed there for 3 laps then got hot faded bad and had to pull off. Had the 3rd fastest time of the race.

Going to give it another shot today
Beast!

Hot faded. I’m stealing that.

:thumb::thumb: You guys/son have my total respect. Brutal conditions! Fortunately I held up well at LaBerge du Lac in Lake Charles.

Led lane shaw until I had some bike issues and had to retire.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220612-200856.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220612-200856.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 114
It’s on! Here’s hoping we get half a foot of rain in the next month. I’ve seen some video of dust bowl conditions at that course in years past.
92CA95AA-0CDF-4536-8A25-EB5223FCDB21.jpeg

More than likely that a tropical disturbance/hurricane will have stirred up some rain by then even in the Austin area. Hopefully!

28A6CAC1-B1E3-430E-8A02-1C63DC0BB34E_4_5005_c.jpeg

Time for you racers to get ready for the top step!

A friends video of one lap in todays race. That is some brutal sand and DUST!

A friends video of one lap in todays race. That is some brutal sand and DUST!
It was an ugly day, personally, and I’m pretty disappointed in my performance. Somehow, despite riding frequently during the break, I forgot how to ride a dirt bike. Sand has always been my nemesis, and yesterday was probably 80% a foot deep or more. I just don’t have the confidence or skill to open it up and fly through. Anyway, enough of my pity party. I hope everyone else had fun and got through safely. Looking forward to Let’s Ride Ranch!

Back