• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trials experiment?

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I've had 3 many moons ago, many. Going to try it again. Lol. 2005 Montessa. Not sure about this but trying. If in the market for one keep me in mind, could be for sale soon. Kick starting isn't my thing I'm remembering in a hurry.

E0E50C0E-0817-4168-8B99-F0144E89C862.jpeg

Last edited:
1st ride with @GSTJOHN went ok! Standing all the time is a bear. Either it'll improve or break me. A weakness on my dirtbike too. Bike ran well, pretty impressive. Having to get use to starting from a stop Standing up. Giving me a little trouble. All in all a fair day.

F197893C-A8A1-4DFB-893A-709E927CEC82.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 2006 version of your bike. I am really trying to finally put some time in every day. It is really helping but in no way easy. I have the cheater seat and it is a life saver. My left knee is shot and needs another surgery so I just can't bend it far enough to try and even sit in the low spot even while taking a break.

Also one day my fuel tank developed a massive leak. After some inspection I discovered that the big rubber gasket between the fuel pump and fuel tank turned rock hard and wouldn't seal at all. Seemed to happen overnight. After a LOT of research, I found the two gaskets on Partzlilla.

I also installed some new IRC tires last week, what a difference. Can't beleive how hard the OEM tires were after 16 years LOL

I signed up to do this trials class in a couple of weeks.

It's my right knee, hoping I can walk tomorrow, seriously. When testing it I was kicking it right footed, paying for it. When I went riding I've got it now kicking left footed. Works fine. I have the seat too, might try it on the bike.

Rob, hope to see you on the trials bike soon as Michael posted above, we have Ryan Young out in two weeks to put on a class ranging from
new rider to expert level skills

The skills you gain from trials riding are some of the best riding skills you’ll ever learn if you like playing in the dirt , I sure like the new breed of trials bikes but I gotta have a place to set down . I was looking for a long rider trials bike when my 2011 Beta came up for sale . Price was good so I took a chance . It’s been the best dirty bike I’ve ever owned . My 1971 Penton trials was a very good hanbling bike with a really poor power plant , when the Hondas came along my brother bought both and they were the worst . The 250 had good power but weighed a ton and was nothing other than a good trail bike . The 125 was gutless and weighed a ton . Rode a Bulltaco and didn’t like it . The Mick Andrews Ossa and Yamaha we’re both good but I never had either . I really liked the Yamaha , several friends that I competed with bought them as soon as they hit the market . They weren’t waterproof so if it was a wet trials I was guaranteed a podium finish .

I am on a beginner trials journey as well, getting sort of good at balancing and tight figure 8's, but being old AND fat, I can only do 15-30 minutes without a break. I find riding her every other day seems to make stuff easier. Apparently, muscle memory is pretty easy to develop, even for old guys. Maybe I will try a trials event sometime, but mostly I plan to ride around the place and climb stuff. Grandbaby chasing will be my main function.

The skills you gain from trials riding are some of the best riding skills you’ll ever learn if you like playing in the dirt , I sure like the new breed of trials bikes but I gotta have a place to set down

My old beta evo 290 trials bike i kept running for 8 yrs
20220613-133552-03.jpg

same bike, w/ a beta seat & 1 gal. aux. gas tank one piece combo.
20180604-133346.jpg

what's nice about the beta seat and gas tank combo is it fits ALL beta trials bikes from 2003 to 2023.

Trials riding has made my enduro riding so much more enjoyable, the balance and control you gain is great

I tire easy as well on the trials bike, have done a couple of competitions and am glad the sections are relatively short
and you get the rest time watching the rest of the group try the section.

Years ago I went to ride with my cousin, and he gave me his Bultaco Sherpa T to ride. Not trials, more cross-country riding all day. With what masqueraded as a seat on that bike, I stood on the pegs all day. I couldn't walk for a week without my knees locking. Yikes! I am full of great admiration for trials riders.

Nice!
I’ve been wanting to get one for a while now, I’m just poor LOL

But the stuff you can learn on a trials will help big bike riding a ton. Especially in the rocks and harder side of enduro.
All the best hard enduro riders have a trials background

I've had 3 prior and everything you said is true. But my legs just aren't strong enough to let it be fun.

I've always wanted a trials bike, just couldn't justify the purchase, as I tend to measure practicality by the distance and locations that I can ride a bike. I used to follow the CTTA around when they had events and meets around the Austin area. With that said, I now have an acre near Burnet with a lot of cool gneiss (similar to granite) rock features, and no wife, so maybe one is finally in my future... :ponder:

I've always wanted a trials bike, just couldn't justify the purchase, as I tend to measure practicality by the distance and locations that I can ride a bike. I used to follow the CTTA around when they had events and meets around the Austin area. With that said, I now have an acre near Burnet with a lot of cool gneiss (similar to granite) rock features, and no wife, so maybe one is finally in my future... :ponder:
Got one for you!

Back