• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Dark Mode

I know Scott has talked about this before, there already is a solution.

I use FF and added the "dark mode" (I did not know this existed) add-on, you can turn on/off and I think you adjust grey scale also. I switched to the new FB also and activated dark mode. With this Scott has nothing to do.

How do I do this?
"You can adjust brightness, contrast, sepia filter, dark mode, font settings and ignore-list."

Dark Reader is open source: https://github.com/darkreader/darkreader

If you could just point to where in the code it collects any personal data, which is against its stated privacy policy (https://darkreader.org/privacy/), I'll eat my socks. Yes, it has to have permissions in order to work, but blame the way modern browsers are set up and websites abuse you.
I have no idea what it actually collects. I merely point out that when you go to install it, it specifically says you are giving it permission to access your web data :shrug:

XenForo does not have a dark template you can use?
No. There is a default template only. It is possible to purchase other templates though. The biggest issue is that some templates change more than just colors, they also change layout info on the page. This can then cause problems when trying to upgrade the base forum code because they don't know what you have or have not done to the base templates. This can cause things to break in unpredictable ways. Not being a coder myself, I have tended to avoid such things because they have the potential to create large problems for me.

No. There is a default template only. It is possible to purchase other templates though. The biggest issue is that some templates change more than just colors, they also change layout info on the page. This can then cause problems when trying to upgrade the base forum code because they don't know what you have or have not done to the base templates. This can cause things to break in unpredictable ways. Not being a coder myself, I have tended to avoid such things because they have the potential to create large problems for me.
Got it. I know the layout here is different than other XenForo forums I am on, so I can imagine the things that need to be changed.

No idea how they do their themes, but I imagine there's some hex color codes in there somewhere that could be played with without changing anything else.

Just FYI. You can use flags if you want dark mode on any site. And that's generally for anything you open in Chrome.

In Chrome, type; chrome://flags into the address bar and hit enter. This will open the Experiments page. Tap in the Search flags box up top and type "dark".
You will see an option labeled Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents. Tap the Default dropdown and select Enabled.

This is what it looks like. And is definitely a battery and eye saver. No changes are needed to the forum itself. It just inverts the background.

Screenshot_20240324-213040_Chrome.jpg

Back