• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

User error vs actual issue on 06 Ninja

Reaction score
First Name
Brooke
I got my Ninja from another user back in December. I haven't rode it a whole lot, maybe put 200 miles on it since then. Earlier this week I rode it to work twice, after it sat for about a month. I noticed it stalled after stopping at a stop sign up the street and again at the stop light. It would just die. I didn't use the choke that day when I'd started it, probably 60 degrees out. Didn't think anything of it aside from let it warm up and use the choke.

Today I took it for a spin around town and noticed it doing the same thing even tho I'd opened the choke. Rode it around, got the engine warmed up and...it continued to stall. It doesn't do it at every stop. It would start back up and the rpms will be around 1500 at idle.

Everything else seems fine - got it up to speed, shifting fine, etc.

As I'm still a new-ish rider and have spent 3 years on a scooter, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm not realizing I am dumping the clutch, not pulling it in enough, not tracking my gears (no gear indicator on this bike) and I'm stopping while in 2nd. Could be lot of 'new rider' issues on my part.

So my question is, how do I troubleshoot it to find out if it's me or the bike? I do have a motorcycle repair shop around the corner that I trust, but I don't have much $ to spend on repairs rn.

Doesn't sound like user error, or anythig too scary: standard "carb fowled with old gas" . Which Ninja is it (how many carbs)?

Doesn't sound like user error, or anythig too scary: standard "carb fowled with old gas" . Which Ninja is it (how many carbs)?

250. If it matters, I do turn the petcock to 'off' after each ride.

Gas remains in the carburetor and can get stale and gum up the very small passages and orifices inside a carburetor.
Try some in-tank cleaner before taking the carburetors off for a cleaning/rebuild.
Seafoam, Chemtool, Lucas are trusted products available at the local auto supply. Do not use the whole bottle. Treat according to the mix ratio directions.
e.g. If the whole bottle treats 12gallons and your fuel tank is 3 gallons, use 1/4 of the bottle.

Could it really get clogged that badly after sitting for a month? Would this Seafoam be the right one? I'm reading up on it more, I suppose it won't kill the bike to try adding Seafoam. Finally, would it safe to buy it, add it to the tank (which definitely needs gas) and then go for a ride - about half an hour to a volunteer thing I do tonight?

I would suggest following the directions on the Seafoam can and also add some fresh gas into the tank along with the Seafoam. At that point, the bike needs to be run some to get the fresh, treated gas into the carbs. Might have a back up plan in case the bike fails to re-start along your route.

30 days is enough time for gasoline to start degrading and there could also be some particles of debris or water from the fuel station where you bought the last gas. Between ethanol and today's low quality of fuel, I have sworn off on carburetors.

Good luck, post what happens, please.

All right, I'll grab some Seafoam today and see what happens. Seems like lots of people for years like it well enough and recommend it. If it doesn't improve, may just see if my local shop will take a lookie (hopefully for cheap). I've never worked on bikes before and don't feel up to removing the body panels and cleaning the carb myself. The possible rain all week makes me hesitate to ride, but I'll do my best to work thru it.

I decided to take the bike for a 'test run' around town before buying anything. I filled up with new gas and was unable to replicate my problem. I didn't stall at all. :shrug:
:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Just keep riding.
The fresh fuel and full tank may be making the difference. The fuel system is gravity feed (no fuel pump) so a full tank gives a bit more head pressure. (Which reminds me, be sure the petcock is in ON and not PRI or RES)
Carbureted bikes need to be ridden to keep the fuel from gumming things up. In comparison, fuel injection is magnitudes more forgiving.
If you cannot ride the Ninja once every 2 weeks, consider adding some fuel stabilizer with each refueling. It will pay off in the long run.

Riding is the best medicine for any bike. They just don't like to sit.

Back