• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

What I see here is what has been described as "adventure" riding as opposed to DS. My DS exposure is typically CO-AR-PNW trips on a lighter weight plated bike capable of true single track. There was even a natl series(Suzuki) sponsored that had events all over the country. Not competitive just gatherings of riders in different suitable areas. In our TX area the large bikes do make sense for what is shown here, takes me at least two-three hours on pavement just to get to decent gravel/dirt road possibilities.

What I see here is what has been described as "adventure" riding as opposed to DS. My DS exposure is typically CO-AR-PNW trips on a lighter weight plated bike capable of true single track. There was even a natl series(Suzuki) sponsored that had events all over the country. Not competitive just gatherings of riders in different suitable areas. In our TX area the large bikes do make sense for what is shown here, takes me at least two-three hours on pavement just to get to decent gravel/dirt road possibilities.
Yep. You've got that about right. If it was an option, I'd love to work some two track into my rides. Then it'd be a bit more "dual sport". But there's really no option for that around here. It's either county roads, private land, or the SHNF. I still find that the mid size bikes tend to best. The big ones are a bit much in the hard areas and the little ones aren't usually comfortable enough for the distances involved.

Yep. You've got that about right. If it was an option, I'd love to work some two track into my rides. Then it'd be a bit more "dual sport". But there's really no option for that around here. It's either county roads, private land, or the SHNF. I still find that the mid size bikes tend to best. The big ones are a bit much in the hard areas and the little ones aren't usually comfortable enough for the distances involved.
There just isn't a perfect bike but you're right mid size seems to be best choice around here. If you don't trailer there is just too much asphalt to get anywhere.

There just isn't a perfect bike but you're right mid size seems to be best choice around here. If you don't trailer there is just too much asphalt to get anywhere.
There's a perfect bike and you know it. The DR650! ;)

Slightly more seriously, I wish they would make the perfect tire. A knobby that doesn't melt on the pavement at speed or cup under braking. That would be the real miracle!

There's a perfect bike and you know it. The DR650! ;)

Slightly more seriously, I wish they would make the perfect tire. A knobby that doesn't melt on the pavement at speed or cup under braking. That would be the real miracle!
No doubt, especially for the money your bike is a good choice. Might have one myself one day. And yes tires are just as much as hindrance as are the bikes. Trying to find the right mix is tough. Seems o the bigger bikes, any knobby type tire is worn pretty good by 2500 miles if much asphalt.

No doubt, especially for the money your bike is a good choice. Might have one myself one day. And yes tires are just as much as hindrance as are the bikes. Trying to find the right mix is tough. Seems o the bigger bikes, any knobby type tire is worn pretty good by 2500 miles if much asphalt.
I find it's more related to speed than anything. More speed = more heat = faster wear. The only thing I find increases tire life substantially is to slow down.

I tend to get 2500-3000 miles out of a Shinko 244 rear and about double that from a IRC TR8 front. I make a point not to brake heavily unless needed to prevent cupping the front. They handle a wide variety of surfaces well, especially if you air them down a little when the ground gets loose. I tend to run 28 front 30 rear for general purpose (tire life) and 18 front 20 rear for riding purely offroad (trails n such).

Edit to clarify:

My rear tire life was running a little lower pressures before, so I'm going what I'm running now will extend the life a little. Not sure it will, but you gotta try, right?

Last edited:

I agree. As I am forming these tracks, I am trying to get as dirty as possible but am getting turned back a dozen times by private land, no trespassing, signs, riding into someone's property and bugging out quickly, etc... Up to now, even big adventure bikes would have no trouble running these tracks.

I have some single track leads to explore but my time is limited, so trying to nail down a good 'adventure' ride so folks can come out, meet, and ride.

I would definitely like to do some "exploring" that had some two track type trails involved. I have had the Strom on singletrack for a short distance. I can see that it wouldn't be fun for very long if I had to pick it up or squeeze through tight spots. I'm leaning towards the no perfect bike school as well. I don't want to ride on the freeway, so I really just need a bike that does about 75mph comfortably and could do it for extended stretches if say a pavement reroute was necessary or to hot foot it home in an emergency.

Update:

I ran the entirety of this track Saturday. I marked where I have to re-route due to private land or closed roads, so this is old. I found that most of the northern section was paved and less remote, but the southern section did contain miles of dirt roads. The north is full of many two lane country roads that are nice rides but a bit too established if that makes sense. Hempstead turned out not to have a neat little place to eat like I was looking for after checking out several places.

Time to re-think. I am going to combine this track (north of I-10) and the track I made south of I-10 for a larger loop, cut out some of each, and form a single track with the best from both. I am out of town this weekend, but hopefully I will have this all nailed down by early August and we can talk about planning a day ride.

I agree. As I am forming these tracks, I am trying to get as dirty as possible but am getting turned back a dozen times by private land, no trespassing, signs, riding into someone's property and bugging out quickly, etc... Up to now, even big adventure bikes would have no trouble running these tracks.

I have some single track leads to explore but my time is limited, so trying to nail down a good 'adventure' ride so folks can come out, meet, and ride.
Good for you, glad that someone is helping us have rides! I've done a couple of runs up my way, mainly the Catfish ride to Groveton. It takes a lot of time to get a 150-200 mile loop laid out and be sure it's on public access. Thanks for doing it!

I would definitely like to do some "exploring" that had some two track type trails involved. I have had the Strom on singletrack for a short distance. I can see that it wouldn't be fun for very long if I had to pick it up or squeeze through tight spots. I'm leaning towards the no perfect bike school as well. I don't want to ride on the freeway, so I really just need a bike that does about 75mph comfortably and could do it for extended stretches if say a pavement reroute was necessary or to hot foot it home in an emergency.

I may be getting as close to the most versatile bike I have owned with the CRF250L Rally. I will explain.

I had the standard CRF250L years back and it offered no on-road comfort and 100 miles on the road was not fun. It was no KTM off-road but handled single track well enough for me (I don't ride hard anymore). I sold it for a CBX500 that was a great bike on the road, but single track of any amount was not a good idea (at least in stock form), and it was too heavy for much more than a dirt road (at least at my experience level).

Now I have the Rally, which is basically the CRF250L with about 1" more suspension and an adventure bike style faring that is quite effective. Surprisingly, it will run 70 mph pretty well with a fat guy in the saddle somewhat comfortably, but it is still light enough for single track. I dumped it a few weeks ago, and it was not at all difficult to pick up. I have added a clip on windshield extension, power accessories and GPS mount, and adjustable bar risers that helped comfort even more. I rode 100 miles recently and was surprised I was not destroyed like I would have been on a standard CRF. I could see a 200 mile day would be doable as long as it isn't all highway.

The downside is power...it does the job but with zero excitement. If Honda makes a CRF450L Rally, it could be the missing link.

I'm in the river oaks, but I'd be interested in riding more in that area. I'm on a 650GS but the only places I know to get off pavement are in Sam H or down near Surfside. Pick a date, and I'll most likely be there!

I'm in the river oaks, but I'd be interested in riding more in that area. I'm on a 650GS but the only places I know to get off pavement are in Sam H or down near Surfside. Pick a date, and I'll most likely be there!
Are you able to tell us some of the Surfside routes, I'm down that way quite often. Whenever I can't get to SHNF....

Are you able to tell us some of the Surfside routes, I'm down that way quite often. Whenever I can't get to SHNF....
Well not really roads, but getting to Surfside in the off-beach season (or early in the AM). After about a mile heading east along the beach the sticker police booths go away and we just ride the 10 miles or so right on the beach to San Luis pass. Deep sand gets challenging but stick to the packed sand near the tide line and its a nice and relaxing ride.

What about McFaddenBeach?
From high island to sea rim. Can this be done without jail time? Highway washed out by hurricane Jerry in 1989

I remember the user Etienne saying that he has done this. I don't know what his handle is and have not seen him on the site.

What about McFaddenBeach?
From high island to sea rim. Can this be done without jail time? Highway washed out by hurricane Jerry in 1989

I remember the user Etienne saying that he has done this. I don't know what his handle is and have not seen him on the site.

Yeah, I did that near the end of April, a couple days after that tanker collision spilled benzene in Galveston bay. It's a commitment from West Houston though. Its about 2 highway hours to sea-rim park, then took about 3 hours to go down the beach to Bolivar (22 miles or so). The ferry wait was over an hour to get to galveston, so we just took 124 back to I-10.

Definitely worth doing at least once though. There is a certain remote-ness feeling given the history of it. Its not always passable however, I made sure to go at low tide and it just so happened there was a north wind that day too. There are some nice flat sections, a couple outcroppings, and some sections of pea-gravel/seashell that swallow up your wheels. I was running some 50/50 tires

Google photo album here:

As soon as school starts the Ferry is a non issue. I think Sea Rim to Bolivar(ferry) is more than 22 miles. Using the ferry and making the run to SR and back is much preferable to the other paved roads unless you just want to add some miles.

As soon as school starts the Ferry is a non issue. I think Sea Rim to Bolivar(ferry) is more than 22 miles. Using the ferry and making the run to SR and back is much preferable to the other paved roads unless you just want to add some miles.
You've done this?? Legal?

I meant from Sea Rim along the beach to the open highway again is 22 miles. From there, bolivar ferries are another 25 miles of pavement.

There is a small wire fence separating the beach from the Mcfaddin Wildlife Refuge the whole way down. The refuge is off-limits but the beach should be public property based off of my understanding of the Texas Open Beach Act (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no lawyer). There were also a few modded jeeps we saw along the way too (and a couple nude sunbathers). We did not explicitly see any 'road closure' or signs indicating the beach was off limits.

If I am not mistaken, one or more of the Houston area Jeep clubs does this run every year so I assume it is legal. I almost went in the Wrangler last time but had scheduling conflicts. It looks like a great trip.

Hmmm...ride, stop, consume adult beverages, make camp, swim, fish, consume adult beverages, cook, consume adult beverages, look at the stars...repeat

Mc Fadden is one of those places where if you have problems, especially alone, you can get messed up. The beach is anything but smooth and clean. Plus you never know who you're going to run into. Finally the salt water will cause problems, if not today, but months from now. Search the archives of TWT and you'll find examples. One guy left his broken bike on the beach for a day only to find it buried halfway when he returned. Another hit a ditch in the middle of the beach while riding too fast and performed a spectacular Flying W before the crash. There was a lot of time airborne. I couldn't watch the whole vid.

I have more than a handful of GPS tracks for rides west of Houston. I'll try to find which old laptop they are on and post them up for you.
m

Here's a link to my GPX file dropbox. Not everything is in the Houston area and I've not ridden most of it. Use at your own risk.

Hello inmates,

A couple of fellers and I are putting together a group of dual sport riders around the west Houston and Katy areas. This could be a place to post up day rides, impromptu meetups, wrench parties or needs, etc... Big bikes are welcome too, but keep in mind that there will more than likely be at least some dirt on the rides. If we get enough interested and want to start a weekly or monthly meetup, we can open a new post for that.

I would be interested in riding with this group.

Back