• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What a week (slightly graphic)

The fear of injury hasn't curtailed my riding, but the fear of financially crippling my family does. When I was on Tricare, meh who cares. But now...****. My wife had a partial hysterectomy and the bill was 40,000 dollars....for an outpatient surgery, which insurance is fighting us for. My last trip to the ER for a kidney stone generated a bill of almost 4,000 dollars out of pocket. Total bill was almost 10k. for a CT scan, some morphine and some high-end anti inflamatories.

I mean I know you're in the field, so I’m preaching to the choir, but that alone was enough to severely curtail my riding to almost zero after riding consistently since I was 16 years old and most years doing 20-30k a year :(
I keep a very healthy life and AD&D policy for the wife. Matter of fact, I know she loves me cause I'm typing and she is not drinking champagne in her private villa in the Maldives.

I did curtail my riding when she went through her breast cancer ordeal a few years ago (successfully). Money doesn't sit beside your wife in ICU and feed her ice chips. I'm am still amazed how much money that ordeal was and how little I paid out of pocket.

Thank you for sharing and I hope you get to feeling better ASAP. Very sobering reality check for me as a new rider but worth reading and seeing.

Glad you made it out reasonably unscathed considering the circumstances. I think the cause of tank slappers is often improper suspension set-up. The factory suspension leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to proper set-up.

Ouch. Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Congrats on the new house. I sold one about a year ago, would like to buy another, but just can't do it with these interest rates. I can wait.

And a 2 piece fully zipped does not allow such extensive abdomen damage. I've cliff jumped twice in my 2 piece roadcrafter and never got a scratch, but obviously did not slide along on the road grinder like you did. I'm so glad you are not internally damaged. This was a serious accident, and the Lord blessed and kept you big time. Merry Christmas.

Rough one. Thanks for sharing, glad you're here to tell the story. Some of these hwys are treacherous, the grooves on IH130 boggle my mind for a "brand new" road that we pay to ride on, it's almost as if they intentionally chose not to completely finish the job.

The fear of injury hasn't curtailed my riding, but the fear of financially crippling my family does. When I was on Tricare, meh who cares. But now...****. My wife had a partial hysterectomy and the bill was 40,000 dollars....for an outpatient surgery, which insurance is fighting us for. My last trip to the ER for a kidney stone generated a bill of almost 4,000 dollars out of pocket. Total bill was almost 10k. for a CT scan, some morphine and some high-end anti inflamatories.

I mean I know you're in the field, so I’m preaching to the choir, but that alone was enough to severely curtail my riding to almost zero after riding consistently since I was 16 years old and most years doing 20-30k a year :(
This is the flip side to riding. We're willing to take the risk but bring the family with us financially and emotionally. That part bites, and my sons father-in-law has been in a diaper for almost 20 years after a no helmet wreck. He's blessed his wife has stuck it out, some wouldn't.

Thanks for posting, and I'm glad you are on the mend.

And congratulations on the house! That alone should make recovery go quicker.

This is the flip side to riding. We're willing to take the risk but bring the family with us financially and emotionally. That part bites, and my sons father-in-law has been in a diaper for almost 20 years after a no helmet wreck. He's blessed his wife has stuck it out, some wouldn't.
That's where you have to manage the risk. Wear better gear, slow down a bit, try different kinds of riding. I do less stupid stuff knowing my family counts on me for sure.

Friggin' ouch! :shock: Road rash sucks bad, but at least no surgery to patch bones or repair internals. Thanks for posting the pics of injuries and damage your gear sustained. It's a good eye opener for some and reminder to others.

I've upped my protective gear anti quite a bit since retiring now that I don't ride to work or meetings anymore. Full hard under armor is now the norm. I hope I never have to test it out.

Wishing you a full and quick recovery! Congrats on the house!

Ouch! I had a bicycle get off back in 2000, while riding on a chip seal road in Woodbury, MN. I hit a pile of loose chips that the county hadn't come back to sweep up yet, and went down hard. Of course, finished the ride, but when I got home, was a bit concerned at the outflow. Sent a text to my girlfriend then, wife now, asking her if she could come home from work and take a look at the injuries.

Her response:

"Ahhh... you do know that I work in the ER at a Level 1 Trauma Center, right? And you could just come here?"

That would make too much sense, amirite?

She eventually finished work and came home, but the wounds oozed fluids for a couple of days.

I'm glad to hear you're recovering, both from this and your breakup, and congrats on the house!

1671890606127.png

1671890639722.png

Wow glad you are ok and will ride again…. Congrats on the new home.

Thanks for sharing, really glad you survived! I had a tank-slapper back in '04 on a Yamaha Venture doing 70. Airlifted to Santa Fe, multiple broken bones, 5 days in hospital. I did much research afterward on the cause of the tank-slapper, even contacted Yamaha but they wouldn't talk to me. Most likely cause was incorrectly adjusted stem-head conical bearings. You're probably aware, but this is a very critical and precise adjustment and I would highly recommend having the adjustment checked on your bike. That's assuming it's still ridable. Best wishes on your recovery!

@m4f3w : if you have a minute, I'd like to hear about your healing progress and state of the bike. Haven't heard from ya in a bit, and given the seriousness of the issues.. well, just let us know you're on the mend!

OUCH!! Glad you are relatively OK.
My thoughts as well. OP, take care and heal up. I was struck by the comment you managed to get your motorcycle to a gas station, filled and it didn’t start up. So just out of curiosity, what condition is you motorcycle in considering your damage?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. They are much appreciated.

I am significantly better. My abdomen is nearly healed. It looked much better at dressing change this morning. Obviously it's still very tender but significantly less so.

The deepest wounds were on my knee and my elbow, those are also looking much better. They still need to have medihoney placed in them, The honey is probably the worst thing now, it just burns for a few hours. I think I will be fully healed by the end of this week though.

As for the bike, it ended up not being totaled, the estimate was about $6,100. It's still sitting in the garage though, and I could see the damage total rising if I were just to go drop it off at the dealership and have them fix it. Other than meeting the insurance adjuster, I haven't really looked at it or into why it doesn't want to crank.

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to leave an update.

Nearing the point to being healed. My call and hands no longer have open wounds. My abdomen is very nearly completely closed up.

My elbow and knee still have a ways to go though.

My bike is going to the KTM dealer tomorrow to get the repair started. I think I'm just going to ask them to make sure the bike is mechanically OK, fix the ignition cylinder/imobilizer, and I'll fix the rest of the stuff myself to try to save some $.

Progressive paid out about $7100, $500 for gear (I destroyed about $2000 worth of gear though) and ~$1500 for my givi aluminium side cases & radar detector.

Back