• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

I just don't like how I sit on it. The seat (new sargent seat) is ok, just not great. Very low, so you get a little Gixxer legroom issue. Bike runs perfectly, suspension is sweet, ride modes, anti-lock and cruise are all spot on. You can spank her she turns and really handles very, very well. It may be my lack of inline 4 love taking it down a notch. It is a great bike, just not as great as I would like. I am very into the V-Twin and Single bikes. Don't know why, just like the performance. The 1290 Super Duke R does all the stuff the Beemer does, just more violently. Therein lies the rub, I like the feel of the big Twin trying to rip itself out from under you. The way the little singles bang into the rev limiter if you improperly row your way through the gear box. I guess you could say, I am ruined. The MT-10 motor is more to my liking, but I have the same, "Not a V-Twin/Single" issues with it as well. So, I guess I am stuck in my V-Twin/Single world. As Mitch would say, "First World Problems"

On a lighter note, I have an old Sentinel gun cabinet, to which I lost the keys. Last night I gave picking it a go and, of course, I was unable to pick the lock. So, I got out Mr. Power drill and eliminated the threat. Drilled it into so many shards, of course then the latch fell down and I had to build a hook tool out of a pants hanger to lift it up. After much vacuuming of filings and such, I was able to get her open. I got all the stored items out and cleaned her up. Then restocked her. Two locks with 4 keys coming in case this happens again.

This whole working thing has me exhausted. I work up until 1:30 AM at the worst and go in between 1:00PM and 3:00PM depending on the scheduled and when I get finished. Since I am an hourly contractor, I have to do the whole ten hours or I lose money. (I work 4, 10 hour days) It amazes me how tired I stay. I teach 8 hours of class or 4-8 hours in the simulator. That can wear an old guy out, all on your feet and constantly providing feedback and explaining in the simulator. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teaching operators, I am just old. I may be done when the contract runs out the end of October, we shall see. They are pumping out license classes lickety-split and there is not an end in sight. The industry is very volatile and there are lots of operators taking their toys and leaving, so there is huge opportunity for folks to teach. Lots of us old guys are doing our bit. The kids in class love us because we learned here and we have decades of experience and knowledge, so it is fun to share. Funniest part is how many of the bosses used to work for us. One of the guys used to be the ops director, so we use his as our boss, so we play a lot.

All in, though, life is great at PPSS, I would like to be less tired so I could spend more time playing with my grandkids and with the motorcycles, but it will come back to me. Hopefully, I'll get a few bikes moved out and have a little more room in the scooter shop. Maybe we can upgrade the a/c out there.

Be good, wear gear, do wheelies.

Pee Paw,
PPSS

IMG_4338.jpg

I just don't like how I sit on it. The seat (new sargent seat) is ok, just not great. Very low, so you get a little Gixxer legroom issue. Bike runs perfectly, suspension is sweet, ride modes, anti-lock and cruise are all spot on. You can spank her she turns and really handles very, very well. It may be my lack of inline 4 love taking it down a notch. It is a great bike, just not as great as I would like. I am very into the V-Twin and Single bikes. Don't know why, just like the performance. The 1290 Super Duke R does all the stuff the Beemer does, just more violently. Therein lies the rub, I like the feel of the big Twin trying to rip itself out from under you. The way the little singles bang into the rev limiter if you improperly row your way through the gear box. I guess you could say, I am ruined. The MT-10 motor is more to my liking, but I have the same, "Not a V-Twin/Single" issues with it as well. So, I guess I am stuck in my V-Twin/Single world. As Mitch would say, "First World Problems"

On a lighter note, I have an old Sentinel gun cabinet, to which I lost the keys. Last night I gave picking it a go and, of course, I was unable to pick the lock. So, I got out Mr. Power drill and eliminated the threat. Drilled it into so many shards, of course then the latch fell down and I had to build a hook tool out of a pants hanger to lift it up. After much vacuuming of filings and such, I was able to get her open. I got all the stored items out and cleaned her up. Then restocked her. Two locks with 4 keys coming in case this happens again.

This whole working thing has me exhausted. I work up until 1:30 AM at the worst and go in between 1:00PM and 3:00PM depending on the scheduled and when I get finished. Since I am an hourly contractor, I have to do the whole ten hours or I lose money. (I work 4, 10 hour days) It amazes me how tired I stay. I teach 8 hours of class or 4-8 hours in the simulator. That can wear an old guy out, all on your feet and constantly providing feedback and explaining in the simulator. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teaching operators, I am just old. I may be done when the contract runs out the end of October, we shall see. They are pumping out license classes lickety-split and there is not an end in sight. The industry is very volatile and there are lots of operators taking their toys and leaving, so there is huge opportunity for folks to teach. Lots of us old guys are doing our bit. The kids in class love us because we learned here and we have decades of experience and knowledge, so it is fun to share. Funniest part is how many of the bosses used to work for us. One of the guys used to be the ops director, so we use his as our boss, so we play a lot.

All in, though, life is great at PPSS, I would like to be less tired so I could spend more time playing with my grandkids and with the motorcycles, but it will come back to me. Hopefully, I'll get a few bikes moved out and have a little more room in the scooter shop. Maybe we can upgrade the a/c out there.

Be good, wear gear, do wheelies.

Pee Paw,
PPSS

View attachment 379986
It's time to re retire.

Today I messed with the 690's a bit. On the 2018 and the 2017 I installed a new plate to retain the ignition switch cover, works great, waiting on parts to put the one on the 2017 but the mount is changed.

View attachment 379952

View attachment 379953

As to the 2017, I got the Penske reservoir mount from Penske ($43.00 shipped) and got her located properly and removed all the black tape from her.

Here is how she came, a pure shame the way it was mounted...

View attachment 379954

And the cleaner proper Penske way, much better and out of the way of things.

View attachment 379955

View attachment 379956

I also removed the Power Commander V from the 2017 and the gas tank came in. I seem to have not gotten the washers or lost them, so I am re-ordering the sprocket washers. Also waiting on a fuel pump gasket, who knew it was the only one that didn't come with the tank?

Took a spin on the Beemer, enjoyed it, but there isn't much love there....did manage to hit a little rain, so I cut it short. I have ridden the 690 Duke to work all week and on Thursday, I rode the Vitpilen. I hate to say it, but the Duke seems to spank it everywhere. Maybe I will shed a couple of more bikes soon, who knows...
I'd have one if my play money wasn't tied up in a 2nd ZRX at the moment...

Because it can't do stoppies?

She can do nice stoppies, there is nothing wrong with the beemer, it is a preference, I am persnickety.

Why are they leaving and where are they going?

Folks these days aren't like we were, loyal to a company, etc. There is no retirement, no real benefit to staying somewhere for 30+ yrs. So, they look for greener pastures, several have wanted to move out of Texas, several have gone to Bill Gate's Terra Power to build and operate little reactors. Some got out of the business. Remember, there aren't a lot of nuclear plants these days, so Operators, especially with Senior Reactor Operator Licenses from the NRC, are a commodity. The company has done a lot to retain them, but mostly the older guys stay for the cash bonus's. They like fellas with degrees, but you can still make it with High School and time in the US Navy. Pays well, no heavy lifting, lots of hours if you want it. Even I got sucked back in. Not sure I will continue though. I am almost certain I will "Re-Retire", but you never know, maybe I will teach part time...

So, yesterday, while I was waiting to send off the SV650S to her new home, I fixed some stuff of the 2017 690 Duke. I finally got the box from Munn Racing on Saturday with the sprocket washer and sprocket nuts/bolts for the rear. So, now she has brand new sprocket bolts and nuts. I put the washer on the sprocket nut and torqued it properly and bent her over the flat spot on the nut, I had ordered 2 more for spares and because if I like it, I will put this gearing on the other 690 Duke. More wheelies, more fun...

IMG_4370(1).JPG

I find it interesting Penske mounted it next to the engine. Tractive had issues running rear shock lines forward on their early CB500X shocks. It boiled the oil.

But if memory serves they only ran the pre-load adjuster forward like that and it has a lot less fluid it In it than a reservoir. I suspect a reservoir would fair better or at least last a lot longer there.

Actually Larry, Penske didn't I did. It was mounted poorly and rattled around and you couldn't access the adjuster, another KTM guy that races recommended this location and it works well. It is about an inch away from the motor, so she should be fine. It was behind the motor and above the Cat, so we will see, should be ok.

Actually Larry, Penske didn't I did. It was mounted poorly and rattled around and you couldn't access the adjuster, another KTM guy that races recommended this location and it works well. It is about an inch away from the motor, so she should be fine. It was behind the motor and above the Cat, so we will see, should be ok.

I read it as that was where Penske designed the mount to go. The remote reservoirs I’ve seen have all been intended to be mounted somewhere on the rear subframe.

Regardless, if it works it works. It certainly looks a lot better than that hose clamp did.

I read it as that was where Penske designed the mount to go. The remote reservoirs I’ve seen have all been intended to be mounted somewhere on the rear subframe.

Regardless, if it works it works. It certainly looks a lot better than that hose clamp did.
It is two hose clamps and 2 rubber pieces. Penske just sets you up to tie it to a tube. This is the most convenient and out of the way location, I could fabricate a mount at the rear, but a couple of guys racing them recommended this method, so I will try her. Actually it is in a little better air flow than before. Finally, I don't see why I don't just let this go, but it is fun. LOL

Hopefully I will get the fuel pump gasket soon, get her licensed and ride the poo out of her. Looking forward to the Andreani/Penske suspension. Should be a hoot.

How many are you considering buying?
Remember the number of motorcycles you need is calculated by using "n" for the number of bikes you have, therefore, n+1=The number of bikes you need, so you could say one is always at least one bike short of perfection. I would like to thin it down more, but I am not sure I could weed out KTMs very well....

Remember the number of motorcycles you need is calculated by using "n" for the number of bikes you have, therefore, n+1=The number of bikes you need, so you could say one is always at least one bike short of perfection. I would like to thin it down more, but I am not sure I could weed out KTMs very well....
👍

Back