• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What you need to go to Mexico and how/where to get it

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab I want to collect all the info in this first post so people don't have to hunt down through the thread to find it. If you have more information on any of the following, please post it up.

Passport:

:tab While not technically required at present, it will be soon. So if you have the time, you might as well go ahead and get it.

:tab U.S. Department of State - Passports

:tab There is a section where you can locate your nearest office by entering your zip code. Mine happened to be our local courthouse here in town (county seat). Most offices require you to make an appointment. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate (they will keep this to submit with your application but you eventually get it back), your driver's license, and your Social Security number. You will also need two photographs of 2" x 2" size. Once all your paperwork is submitted and fees paid, it could take as little as two weeks or as much as 10-12... There is an option to expedite the process for another $60 on top of the regular fees.

:tab Many Walgreens and CVS pharmacies will do passport photos.

:tab To get a passport go here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
:tab The passport process can be expedited: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

Certified Birth certificate:

:tab http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/reqproc/certified_copy.shtm

Valid Driver's License from U.S. State

Mexican Tourist Visa:

:tab http://www.amoden.com/JohnCannon/mexico_tourist_permits_required.htm

Mexican Insurance (optional):

:tab You don't need Mexican insurance to cross the border...but you're taking your chances not having it.

:tab Adventure Mexican Insurance
:tab Sanborn Insurance

:tab Or just Google "Mexican Insurance"

Mexican Vehicle Permit:

:tab http://www.amoden.com/JohnCannon/mexico_tourist_permits_required.htm

:tab The vehicle permit & visa can be obtained at the border, or to get a head start go to:
:tab Mexico -Consulate General
:tab 4507 San Jacinto Street, Houston, TX 77004
:tab (713) 271-6800

:tab Here is the link for online vehicle registration...
:tab http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/tramiteitv_ing.jsp
:tab (Click on the box that says "Realiza tu tramite" and be prepared for a part spanish-part english process)

Letter of permission from lien holder:

:tab If any of the vehicles that you are taking to Mexico still have a lien on them, you need a letter from the lien holder stating that you are allowed to take the vehicle into Mexico. Get this from your lien holders.

Title & registration for EACH vehicle:

:tab If you are taking more than one vehicle, as in a truck with a trailer load of bikes, you need the paperwork for each vehicle. You will also need it for the trailer. Also, the trailer must belong to the person towing the trailer!

Medical Recovery insurance:

:tab This is optional. You can get medical insurance that brings you and your belongings back to the states. It's relatively cheap and worth it's weight in gold if you are seriously hurt.

:tab www.travelguard.com
:tab www.travelsafe.com
:tab www.medexassist.com
:tab www.binationalemergency.org

Maps of Mexico:

:tab www.fallingrain.com/world/MX/a/ - GPS info
:tab www.maps-of-mexico.com/ - Paper maps

Last edited:
Re: TEXAS INVADES MEXICO aka Uncle Rogers Tour of Mexico

Mexico's laws have not changed--the change is in the requirements to get back into USA. If flying or by ship, you need a passport. By land, won't need a passport until next year.

Predictably, U.S. passport services are really behind at present, and it will cost you $97 for a new passport.

My understanding is that the requirements to enter Baja are different from those to enter mainland Mexico. I've heard that to enter Baja doesn't require documentation, but mainland Mexico does.

I do know that if you reach one of the military checkpoints they will check for the vehicle sticker and tourist card. My understanding is they will turn you back if you don't have both.

Drivers License
Passport or birth certificate (no sure if birth certificate is still accepted)
Vehicle registration and title
Mexican insurance (optional)

To get a passport go here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Good news - the passport process can be expedited: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

When I applied for my passport in September, I was told 8-10 weeks but it arrived in about 6 weeks. As for the Mexican paper work, I was never asked for anything at anytime in Mexico...you will need:
Vehicle permit
Tourist Visa
Birth certificate or passport (for visa)
Driver's License
Mexican Insurance
Letter of permission from lien holder (if any)
Title & registration
3 copies of everything

Baja does not require vehicle permits...

Skinny's got it down...I'll add a few extra points...

Baja North and Sonora (states) don't require paperwork but you need to stay in those states. Baja South does.

If you are in Mexico for 7 days or less you can get a tourist visa for free and skip the $23 fee for a 180 day visa.

You don't need Mexican insurance to cross the border...but you're taking your chances not having it.

Also, ALWAYS get some sort of medical insurance that brings you and your belongings back to the states. It's relatively cheap and worth it's weight in gold if you are seriously hurt.

I've had a passport for 20+ years now. Is there a reason why people don't get them? They aren't that expensive and last for 10 years. It makes travel far easier. And if you have a problem, find a consulate, flash that baby and they go out of their way to help you.

Skinny or Tony, did your insurance help cover the cost of getting back to the border?

Hoop said:
Skinny or Tony, did your insurance help cover the cost of getting back to the border?

I was able to contact my insurance company one time while in Mexico...they answered in Spanish, I said "speak english, please" ... explained my problem, and was promptly transferred to a spanish only phone menu system...pretty much useless if you don't speak spanish...3 more attempts couldn't even complete the call, so I gave up... and after reading the policy, I doubt that I had any mechanical break-down coverage. I did call the U. S. agent when I got home and explained the lack of response from the Mexican insurance company. Long story short...don't expect any help from your Mexican insurance...

Scott, the way your first post is worded makes it sound like they keep your birth certificate. You will have to leave the birth certificate with the other paperwork but when the Passport arrives in the mail the birth certificate is with it.

You also stated that you needed info on getting the birth certificate. Here is the best place to start

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/default.shtm

If you are in Harris County there is an office on Stadium Drive near the Astrodome but be ready it looks and smells like a Welfare office.

Tourmeister said:
Mexican Vehicle Permit:
-- need info on where to get this

Mexican Tourist Visa:
:tab If you are in Mexico for 7 days or less you can get a tourist visa for free and skip the $23 fee for a 180 day visa.

Medical Recovery insurance:
:tab This is optional. You can get medical insurance that brings you and your belongings back to the states. It's relatively cheap and worth it's weight in gold if you are seriously hurt.

The vehicle permit & visa can be obtained at the border or to get a head start go to:
Mexico -Consulate General
4507 San Jacinto Street, Houston, TX 77004
(713) 271-6800

I've used Travel Guard several times for medical insurance. The price is reasonable. I have not had to use it, so I do not know how they pay or service the policy.

I still need info on obtaining Mexican insurance.

Also, anyone have recommendations for resources to learn basic Spanish?

Tourmeister said:
I still need info on obtaining Mexican insurance.

Also, anyone have recommendations for resources to learn basic Spanish?

There are only 3 companies in Mexico that write vehicle insurance...however, there are at least 6 or 8 U. S. agents that all sell the same insurance...do a web search for Mexican insurance and you'll have all the quotes you need

Here is the link for online vehicle registration...
http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/tramiteitv_ing.jsp

Click on the box that says "Realiza tu tramite" and be prepared for a part spanish-part english process

Scott,
I have a trip to Mexico coming up next month and used these companies for Mexican bike insurance and Medical insurance.

San Xavier Mexico Insurance
Nogales, AZ
1-888-377-1570

It is a good idea to purchase medical insurance in case you have life threatening injuries. The cost is minimal and the jet ride at $25,000 can hurt your pocket book if you don't have the insurance. Call Travel-Med Insurance at 800-732-5309...probably costs about $4/day while in Mexico.

Carl

If you are towing a trailer, it needs to belong to you. In the past, a notarized letter from the owner giving you permission to take it to Mexico would work. Now, you must own the trailer. We learned this the hard way last summer. The guy who owned the trailer was even riding in my truck. They did allow us to leave the trailer at a friends house in Mexico near the border, but they would not allow us to take it past the 7 mile check point.

Sooo.... anyone got any tips on quick guides for learning the basics of the language? You know, survival phrases like:

Don't shoot!!
Where's the bathroom?
You serve beer?
Next place to buy gas?

Tourmeister said:
Sooo.... anyone got any tips on quick guides for learning the basics of the language? You know, survival phrases like:

Don't shoot!!
Where's the bathroom?
You serve beer?
Next place to buy gas?

Get a Spanish phrase book and smile a lot when you're trying to converse..:-P
Out of 13 people in our group, Irondawg was the only one who spoke much spanish and even he had trouble with the accents in Batopilas...you can get by with little or no Spanish (Teeds and I are prime examples) and if you ask around, there's usually someone who speaks English...

Tourmeister said:

Don't shoot!!
Where's the bathroom?
You serve beer?
Next place to buy gas?

Scott, hire an illegal Nanny for a couple of months. The only downside to that is your kids start looking at you funny when you speak english to them.

Tourmeister said:

Don't shoot!!
Where's the bathroom?
You serve beer?
Next place to buy gas?

Scott

Google or Yahoo

Free spanish lessons

Theres anything from basic crosswords to lessons you can learn

A phrase book or spanish dictionary/spanish travel guide will have a bunch of spanish phrases. The good part about trying to speak in Mexico just about anyone you try to converse with will try to help. I dont think in 25 years of travel down there I have had one person give me the cold shoulder because I had no clue what I was saying or trying to say.
I reccomend lonely planet as a travel guide for any country. It has a wide variety of accomedations and gives you all the little out of the way things. They tend to cater to the backpacker type traveler but do have a few of the higher end hotels etc

Mike Green

Okay, I have my passport. Do I still need to take a birth certificate with me?

I have the clear title to my bike. Do I need to take the actual title with me or just copies?

Tourmeister said:
Okay, I have my passport. Do I still need to take a birth certificate with me?

I have the clear title to my bike. Do I need to take the actual title with me or just copies?

A birth certificate is not required with a passport....

We rode in Mexico last weekend and did not need our passports on our return....But I'd still take one with you just in case....

If you have all your paperwork done before you go you do not need to carry an original title....

On our January trip we were not required to show any paperwork to anyone South of the Border at all....

Back