• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on out at GrandPaul's Place?

Finished up with most of the framing & sheathing, just need to install the ceiling over the 1/2 bath.

Sheetrock dude came out and insulated everything over 2 days, used up a good bit of insulation scraps that were used by the steel erectors, as well as the new bundle that I found on the side of the road.

I've been working my sweaty, skinny butt off...

Pantry framed-

IMG_5395.JPG

Master bedroom outer wall done-

IMG_5396.JPG

Shop sheathing done-

IMG_5415.JPG

Hangar face totally sheathed-

IMG_5420.JPG

Master bedroom insulated-

IMG_5424.JPG

Living area insulated-

IMG_5423.JPG

Sheetrock is being delivered sometime today, we start back in tomorrow morning...

I hope those black widows were new residents after you took home the AC system. I really don't want to think I might have black widows crawling around my house.

Awesome progress BTW! Maybe I should bring my old Suzuki out there and help knock down the trails you are trying to make with your ATVs. I'm sure my dad would bring his TUX to help out. I'm always looking for a good place to practice riding on not-pavement.
Tis the year of black widows. They seem to be pretty common right now. I found 3 big females a few weeks ago. My frioend up north of Dallas is seeing a bunch. The worst story is a brown recluse bite from up there that was so bad on a young woman's arm that it was not clear if she'd have an arm left when it stopped spreading. Looks like a surgeon did a final flesh removal and pulled the whole thing together this week after a month of suffering. I've never seen one this bad not even on the web.

I've been working on the 2nd floor decking, almost half way done with 17 sheets laid down...

IMG_5463.JPG

Also installed some of the A/C ductwork for the bedroom & shop, obviously.

Ran the rest of the shop ductwork yesterday, that was a headache. Had to squash the 8" flex duct a good bit where the bracing crosses the joists, and they make a hard 90 (down) at the registers, so the duct gets squashed effectively to a 6" (relative) size. It'll balance out OK.

IMG_5465.JPG

So the shop has 2 of 3 lights installed, and all 3 A/C register boxes...

IMG_5466.JPG

Nice itchy arms, just like old times...

Oh, 2nd floor? Guess I assumed the top was gonna be an envious big place to store things.
"Future" 2nd floor. That's why I went with 16' eaves, not 10'.

I have to finish the first floor and runway improvements, THEN see what's left in the kitty to apply to 2nd floor.

"Future" 2nd floor. That's why I went with 16' eaves, not 10'.

I have to finish the first floor and runway improvements, THEN see what's left in the kitty to apply to 2nd floor.

You could park a lot of vintage bikes up there. Charge 10 bucks a head to see them and kitty will get fat again!

You could park a lot of vintage bikes up there. Charge 10 bucks a head to see them and kitty will get fat again!
They'll be parked downstairs in the hangar/garage area. Too hard to get them up the stairs.

Long, hard day of work today. Refurbished the A/C blower unit, including taking out the gas heater section and making an insulated blank-off panel. Getting it upstairs solo was fun. I started with the dolly, but I could feel my back was NOT up to it. I worked it out with stuff that i had on hand. Also ran the duct to the master bathroom A/C register box and relocated the WiFi antenna, then started prepping the RV for Port A tomorrow! just a bit of excitement on the way home with it.

This is the A/C equipment that @mr72 gave me...

Won't be using any of this gas heating section-

IMG_5471.JPG

Gas heat exchanger goes, that's a LOT of extra weight I don't need to haul upstairs!

IMG_5472.JPG

I think I'll put this gas heater kit on e-bay to recoup the $100 I paid last night for an electric 10KW kit...

Cleaned up the inside of the blower

IMG_5478.JPG

Last edited:
Blower refurbished, wiring minimized, insulated panel installed, ready to go. I tested it on high speed and it BLASTS!

IMG_5479.JPG

Hmmmmm..... I KNEW there was a reason I kept this stuff...

IMG_5481.JPG

Blower headed up the stairs, nice and easy, using the hand-crank winch (above) that came with my Harbor Freight boom crane on my truck (I replaced the hand crank with an electric winch motor). Had to take it apart to lag bolt it to a joist!

IMG_5482.JPG

Yep, worked like a champ! (and no aching back).

IMG_5484.JPG

Blower in place right where it's going.

IMG_5485.JPG

Sheetrock delivery just as I got done upstairs!
IMG_5486.JPG

Sheetrocker will get busy this afternoon...

IMG_5487.JPG

Ran the duct to the master bathroom...

IMG_5488.JPG

Relocated the WiFi to the building, instead of the RV. Just need some permanent clamps. My 50' cable was EXACTLY the right length to get all the way to the shop for power (POE).

IMG_5490.JPG

Fun and excitement on the way home with the camper, threw a chunk of tread but held air all the way home (20+ miles). Still holding!

IMG_5494.JPG

Already picked up a spare at Tractor Supply, about to get the RV all set for Port A later today...

All kidding aside, I'm really glad Paul is going to be able to put that old AC system to use. Felt wrong to just throw something like that away. Hey @grandpaul I still have the programmable thermostat I was using with it here if you want it.
Sure, I'll take it. Any chance it has auto change-over from heat to cool?

Back