• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is this bridge?

mhutch

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hutchinson
Where o where could it be? Need a road name and a river that it once crossed.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 530
Gotta be out West if it is in Texas. Where did the pic come from?

Is this a test? :scratch:

Tourmeister said:
Gotta be out West if it is in Texas. Where did the pic come from?

Is this a test? :scratch:

This is a test and Cagiva549 and I took the pic and it is in Texas. :mrgreen:

We thought it was railroad at first also but it isn't.

Is it on the Texas - Mexico Border somewhere in Big Bend? That river bed in the background is very wide.

Got one like that up here in the panhandle south of 287 in Palo Duro Canyon (not in the state park part) near the old JA ranch headquarters. Can't remember enough details to know if that is it though.

mhutch said:
Where o where could it be? Need a road name and a river that it once crossed.

Sounds like a clue there. It appears that there's no deck on the bridge, and it almost looks like it may have shifted off it's original position; perhaps due to a flood. But for me, that just narrows it down to planet Earth. :lol2:

All right. The bridge is on what used to be North County road and is crossing Terlingua creek. The GPS and maps show the road as going through and we took it as far as we could. Dave spotted this bridge on the way back. I would expect that it used to be the main road between Terlingua and Alpine/Marathon back in the day. Here is a map of the area. The private road is now the right fork on the map while heading north and the bridge is at the end of the left most fork. A bit further up, North County road starts to wash out with gulleys and then you come to a locked gate that Dave found when coming the other direction later on (from the north)

Looks kind of like the Canadian River bridge in Canadian Texas. Very similar, but I think it is not quite right.
Nice Pics BTW

Valker said:
Looks kind of like the Canadian River bridge in Canadian Texas. Very similar, but I think it is not quite right.
Nice Pics BTW

nope it is on the list of historic bridges in Texas and is 30 years older then the Canadian River bridge. you are right they sure look a lot the same this one is shorter.

and thanks showing off the pictures was the whole idea

All right. The bridge is on what used to be North County road and is crossing Terlingua creek. The GPS and maps show the road as going through and we took it as far as we could. Dave spotted this bridge on the way back. I would expect that it used to be the main road between Terlingua and Alpine/Marathon back in the day. Here is a map of the area. The private road is now the right fork on the map while heading north and the bridge is at the end of the left most fork. A bit further up, North County road starts to wash out with gulleys and then you come to a locked gate that Dave found when coming the other direction later on (from the north)
I know that road, followed a GPS up there myself one day. The rancher was very cordial when he informed me that I was trespassing on his land, and that the road has been closed for over fifty years. He was very polite, almost friendly even if he was a bit aggravated. I can't figure why Garmin has it on the map since it was closed long before GPS maps were thought up.

Doh, jumped ahead. I'll wait till the one above gets answered

Last edited:
I did a ride report on this one, so it should be an easy guess:

Bridge1207BG3.jpg

Bridge1207BG6.jpg

Bridge1207BG7.jpg

Bridge1207BG5.jpg

I know, I know, but i will give the over guys a chance to answer.....
Early day travelers feared this river! ITS BEEN CALLED THE Rio Salado
The Mexicans called it the Rio Puerco
Mike

Back