• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WTB: working CD player

Reaction score
Friends, I am looking for one or more working 90s CD players. Specifically I want a single CD player, not some 5-200 disc changer, like you'd have found in a typical 90s home audio component system. And it needs to be absolutely 100% functional. That is, laser in alignment, functional transport, doesn't skip or refuse to play cds with ordinary surface imperfections.

Awesome would be: NAD, Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Nakamichi, Tascam

Perfectly fine: Technics, Sony, Philips, Teac, Pioneer, Fisher

Maybe you want to trade for something, like I have a 2x10 bass guitar cab and a vintage/80s scotch gift set NIB both listed here on TWT that I'd love to swap for a CD player.

I remember begging my dad for a CD player and his response was they were a gimmick and nothing would replace a cassette. Now we struggle to find a decent CD player anymore. Good luck with your search. You may want to hit up some estate sales in your area. I see all kinds of old home audio equipment when we go but I have not paid much attention to what was offered.

Still have my first Technics and it still works. Not sure if I had an interim, or went to the Sony CD-MD that I also still have.

a CD-MD player/recorder would be legit, since I have a bunch of MDs of my own recordings here. I still have the portable MD recorder/player, maybe it actually works.

I also have the stand alone Sony MD that came with an MD Walkman, and they still work.
I'll have to poke around later, seems something is missing from memory.
I HAD a Pioneer programmable 4 CD to CD burner, but the transport went tits up.

I have a cheap boombox in garage and a cheap bookshelf system in sunroom where we exercise (just bought a functional trainer). CD players work great.

Maybe check into a pawn shop or thrift store nearby? I was watching a Southland episode and it was filmed in 2009. Guy wanted a pro camera and clerk stated the Hasselblad was $2600 and the best camera around.

I looked at my Pixel 8 pro on the end table....

Modern CD players seem pretty flimsy and cheap today. While I have a 1991 CD player, a Pioneer Elite PD-75, I'm still using it as it's stellar. Might as well keep it till it dies as there's no reasonably priced units out there to replace it. And the upside down platter is nice, no scratched discs. I had a new platter machined from UHMW when I bought it. Adds mass like heavy platters on turntables. I don't know if any other manufacturers made platter transports.

Ive got a pioneer with the six disc cartarge in good working order last time i used it 10 plus years ago , since im deaf music and the thousand or so disc are a compleat waste for me also have a walkman portable that fit nicly in my riding jacket pocket and plugged into custom installed speakers in my helmet . Only time it jumped was when i jumped big logs at speeds above 20 mph .

I’ve had good luck on eBay with replacing my Denon BluRay player.

I *thought* I had another Sony stand alone, but apparently not. The CD-MD is what I use, so I'm out.

I'm not sure what that is? :D

MD? Mini-Disc. Kind of the consumer version of the DAT system, (Digital Audio Tape) of which I have a TASCAM unit, but less expensive.
Holy Schnieke, this is what I have, and this one's going for 600 clams on fleaBay!!

MD Recorder Player.png

Back