• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha TW200 Carb Assistance

GSer

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
I have two matching 2008 Yamaha TW200s. My wife and I just don't ride them much (4,100 miles on both) and I have decided to try and sell them. Well, they have been sitting for months and the carbs are gummed up and they don't run well enough to ride. I put new OEM carbs on them in 2018, always ran the carbs dry, and have not had any issues until now. Today I drained the gas tanks and filled them with fresh gas, removed the carb bowls and everything looked clean. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere I could, the floats stop and start gas flow. This got it running, but it won't idle.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do next?

Will they idle with the choke on?

Reactions: JMZ
Yes, I can keep them running by using the choke. They sputter, but idle with the choke on.

Whenever I've had that problem, It's usually a partially clogged jet or fuel passageway. If you don't have a set of acetylene torch tip cleaners, stop by an auto store or Harbor Freight and pick up a set. Usually around $2 - $3 and the best way to clean carbs.

Last edited:
Whenever I've had that problem, It's usually a partially clogged jet or fuel passageway. If you don't have a set, acetylene torch tip cleaners, stop by an auto store or Harbor Freight and pick up a set. Usually around $2 - $3 and the best way to clean carbs.
Thank you! Tomorrow I will get cleaners and clean the main and pilot jets. I may get some Seafoam to put in the tanks also.

Thank you for your help. Yesterday I got some cleaners and seafoam at Northern Tool. This afternoon I took the carb off, removed the jets, cleaned them, sprayed carb cleaner in the holes where the jets go. It then started and idled on the first try, even without using the choke. Woohoo! It runs great! Tomorrow I am going to do the same thing to the other bike.

If there is a Buc-ees or some place around you that sells non-ethanol gas, try to run some of that through them. Glad you were able to get it going. It truly is amazing how bad regular pump gas screws up a carb in no time.

It's been awhile since we owned a TW, but when we did, carb cleaning was a thing that we did quite often. It just seems that even with running the bike till it ran out of fuel, that last little bit that was still at the very bottom was still enough to cause problems on those tiny jets and passages. Like @jbird710 said, really the only thing that would be 100% stopping that would be to get some real gas for them. I know you are getting them ready for selling, but it still might be a good idea to fill them with real gas just in case they don't sell for a few weeks. When we had a TW, it seemed like even after only a week or so that darn thing became somewhat clogged.

The 1st TW was an easy fix. But the 2nd one is a puzzle. I did two very thorough carb cleanings, but it still only starts with the choke and won't idle. I replaced the spark plug and the air filter is good. I don't know if checking/adjusting the valves would help, but I'll try that next.

Well since you know you have one with a good carb, try switching them out. If the second tdub runs with the other carb, then you know something is wrong with the other carb.

Well since you know you have one with a good carb, try switching them out. If the second tdub runs with the other carb, then you know something is wrong with the other carb.
That is a dang good idea! Thanks. I am going to do it.

Not sure how hard it is to swap carbs but before I did that I would simply swap the pilot jets as much easier. 99% chance that is what didn't get completely clean and is your issue with those symptoms.

I haven't tried to remove the jets while the carb is on the bike, but I think it is possible. I will try that first.

Did you by chance give the air passages a good cleaning, where you are sure they are free and clear? If not, then I'd bet good money that is where your culprit is. I wouldn't crack into valves just yet. Starting and running just fine on the choke but not without is a sure sign of fueling troubles and not engine trouble.

Warrior pretty much called it. Bet when you try the working carb, it will run fine. There’s still something going on with non-working carb. I haven’t worked on Tdub carbs, but if they have very small passages as someone else mentioned, the smallest of obstruction will have a major effect. I had an XR200 carb I cleaned multiple times and it still had the same problem you’re experiencing. I chased every passage I could find, soaked it 2 days in VP race gas, chased passages again, shot compressed air through every passage, and it just wouldn’t work right. Broke down and bought a new OEM carb and it solved the problem.

Sounds like you need an ultra sonic cleaner. I have had this same issue and only a good cleaning with the ultra sonic did the trick.

What part of Texas are you in? Someone local may have an ultrasonic to run it through.

I personally am switching to ethenol free fuel on my bike as I just don't ride that much anymore. It's more expensive for sure but worth it to preserve the bike.

My TW200 would idle with the choke on, but if you gassed it she would die. If you turned off the choke she would die. My intake manifold was broken, apparently they rot pretty easily on our TW200's. Mine is completely clean in the gas tank (amazing for a 2013 bike) and the carb was spotless, but I cleaned it anyway. I am about to check the valves, change the tires, chain, sprockets and of course the oil and filter. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and I use Dawn and water, works great.

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

thank you everyone for all of the great information! I am going to look at all of these options until I find the issue.

Good catch @OldTLSDoug on the intake issue. I'm sure smaller cracks could lead to the same issue. Wonder if it's worth trying an unlit propane torch similar to looking for vacuum leaks? If it's cracked or broken it would pull in extra air and rev up with the propane.

Good catch @OldTLSDoug on the intake issue. I'm sure smaller cracks could lead to the same issue. Wonder if it's worth trying an unlit propane torch similar to looking for vacuum leaks? If it's cracked or broken it would pull in extra air and rev up with the propane.

spray a little brake cleaner at it while it is running and see if the speed changes, sure diagnosis technique with less heat and fire. I am not allowed to get a torch next to a running motorcycle....anymore. LOL. I had a recent bout of Jeep carb fires while starting her with gasoline. I think I will opt for the more controlled methods with less heat. Also, Mrs. Oldtlsdoug will be very pleased if I don't have to recharge my fire extinguishers again.

It's been awhile since we owned a TW, but when we did, carb cleaning was a thing that we did quite often. It just seems that even with running the bike till it ran out of fuel, that last little bit that was still at the very bottom was still enough to cause problems on those tiny jets and passages. Like @jbird710 said, really the only thing that would be 100% stopping that would be to get some real gas for them. I know you are getting them ready for selling, but it still might be a good idea to fill them with real gas just in case they don't sell for a few weeks. When we had a TW, it seemed like even after only a week or so that darn thing became somewhat clogged.
I had a shop before ethanol. Tire changing and tune-ups were the only things ahead of carb cleanings as a source of revenue. Non ethanol fuel will not stop jets from clogging, only delay the inevitable. The only sure fire way to prevent fuel from clogging carbs is to ride the bike. The only reason tune-ups were ahead of carb cleaning was because most UJMs required valve adjustment every 4,000 miles.

If it’s not too much trouble pull the plug out to prime gas to the carb , maybe that won’t kill your battery . I have noticed that vacume operated fuel pumps will get hard if left setting for extended periods of time and not work . Small simple ones are used on a lot of V twin lawn equipment and need nothing more than plugged into a vacume port to work .

this post is supposed to be in mr72 post about working on his scooter that has been setting for years , but would apply to anything with a low pressure fuel pump and float carb . And vacume leaks suck , literally .

Last edited:
I had a shop before ethanol. Tire changing and tune-ups were the only things ahead of carb cleanings as a source of revenue. Non ethanol fuel will not stop jets from clogging, only delay the inevitable. The only sure fire way to prevent fuel from clogging carbs is to ride the bike. The only reason tune-ups were ahead of carb cleaning was because most UJMs required valve adjustment every 4,000 miles.
True, but the delay is a LONGGGG time. I’ve had real gas sit in carbs for more than 6 months without any problems at all. Now I know that situations can be completely different and it is a ton of factors that can play into it. But at least with my experiences, real gas delays carb troubles by a huge factor. In small carbs for me it went from a week or two to 6 months or more.

I still need to try the Star Tron stuff or whatever brand it is that folks swear by. I’ve never used it all these years but wouldn’t mind giving it a try.

I agree, I rode for 5 years almost every day and never had an issue with any gas. Now it's getting the best of me as I'm not ride near as much.

It's very expensive and I wouldn't reccomend it for a bike ridden regularly, but in my dirt bikes that get ridden a couple times a year, I run VP C12 race gas. VP claims it won't go bad and my XR400 that hadn't been started in a year and a half, fired right up at the beginning of the month. Turned the gas on, choke on, and it fired on the second kick. 10 gallons lasts me nearly a year and I haven't cleaned a carb on my bikes in years. It's a higher octane than what I need, but the benefit of not having to clean carbs makes it worth it to me.

Back