• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CAF Museum in Midland - Visit

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
I took a nice little drive (in the Acura - left the VStrom home) out to Midland to visit the Commemorative Air Force Museum in Midland. I've been there several times. But my good friend Bob Bohannon, who is retired from 40 years in the air service industry (Pan Am, Emery, American) had never been there. So it seemed like a great time for nice little diversionary trip west.

If you've never been there, it's a worthwhile trip either for airplane nuts or WW2 buffs. When you walk through the museum, you are essentially walking through the chronology of the war. I took my dad (Solomon Islands 1943-45) 10 years ago and parts of it brought tears to his eyes.

Watching a video about Pearl Harbor.
DSC_0008.jpg

A view of an open area in the museum.
DSC_0012.jpg

Cockpit of a C54.
DSC_0013.jpg

Part of the D-Day display.
DSC_0017.jpg

More D-Day. This is what's left of a glider (see the wing roots?) carrying a Jeep as cargo.
DSC_0020.jpg

This flag was flown on a landing craft on D-Day.
DSC_0019.jpg

Obviously, close to the end of the war. There's Little Boy and Fat Man (disclaimer: not actual A-bombs), and a bigger-than-life picture of Leslie Groves & Robert Oppenheimer in the background.
DSC_0021.jpg

At the end, we come to my favorite part: the Wall of Honor, where many families have chosen to have the names of WW2 veterans displayed for posterity.
DSC_0023.jpg

And what am I pointing proudly at?
DSC_0025.jpg

My dad. My brother and I donated that plaque for my dad's 80th birthday - 10 years ago.
DSC_0022.jpg

There's an amazing gallery of nose art, possibly the best in the world. These are not reproductions; they're from WW2 combat aircraft, mostly B24s and B17s.
DSC_0027.jpg

I only took one close-up.....
DSC_0028.jpg

...because you're not actually supposed to take pictures in the nose art gallery. But my finger might have accidentally slipped on the shutter.

Some WW2 vets love bikes, too. One donated this.
DSC_0029.jpg

Moving to the hanger, now. You never know exactly what aircraft are going to be there on any given day.

This is a Russian fighter, an I-16.
DSC_0030.jpg

Fiesler Storch.
DSC_0032.jpg

Here's a Mig 17. Yeah, it really flies.
DSC_0033.jpg

Messerschmitt ME-108.
DSC_0035.jpg

Cessna O-2 Skymaster.
DSC_0038.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is an AT-6 Texan.
DSC_0042.jpg

This is one of the planes that was "repurposed" into a Zero for 'Tora Tora Tora'. It also appeared in several other films including 'War and Remembrance', 'Midway', 'Baa Baa Blacksheep', 'The Final Countdown' and 'Empire of the Sun'.
DSC_0043.jpg

No idea what this is. Help!
DSC_0046.jpg

C47 in D-Day paint scheme.
DSC_0050.jpg

Fairey Swordfish. It amazes me that they chased the Bismarck with this kind of technology.
DSC_0051.jpg

I forget what this is. Redpill & I saw it at the Cold War Museum in south Dallas last year.
DSC_0054.jpg

Here's a VW Kubelwagen. Basically, Nazi Germany's Jeep.
DSC_0037.jpg

Check this cool Daimler - probably a staff car - sporting a license plate from Muelheim.
DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

I spotted this sitting over in a corner of a taxiway. An F-111, I think.
DSC_0045.jpg

Outside at the Viet Nam memorial, I saw this F4,
DSC_0055.jpg

And this old F105 with a lot of "mission stripes",
DSC_0056.jpg

And an ancient F100. Yup, many century-series aircraft saw action in Nam.
DSC_0057.jpg

And this is my friend Bob, who was an avionics engineer before eventually moving up to executive management. Bob had a very distinguished career. Remember Eastern Airlines Flight 401? The L1011 that "flew into the ground" in the Everglades in 1972? In the aftermath of that crash, there was a need for an avionic device that would basically "shout" at the pilot if a plane got too close to the ground. Bob invented Ground Prox, or Ground Proximity Warning System. Pam Am gave the technology away to other airlines and it soon became an FAA requirement.
DSC_0058.jpg

Well, all done. Time to hop back into the RSX. And 5 1/4 hours, nine gallons of gas, and one DQ Blizzard later, we were back in Arlington.

Great road trip. Thanks for the report. I did not know about this museum. I would like to visit. My Dad flew B-24s during WW2.

The petroleum museum in Midland is pretty cool too if you're looking for that kind of thing to do in the area.

I know why there would be a petroleum museum, but I have no idea why there is so much airplane stuff in Midland.

Everything has to be somewhere. It's what used to be known as the Confederate Air Force. Originally it was located down in Harlingen. About 20 years ago, they moved it to Midland to get the planes away from moisture and corrosion.

I'm pretty sure this is an AT-6 Texan.
DSC_0042.jpg

This is one of the planes that was "repurposed" into a Zero for 'Tora Tora Tora'. It also appeared in several other films including 'War and Remembrance', 'Midway', 'Baa Baa Blacksheep', 'The Final Countdown' and 'Empire of the Sun'.
DSC_0043.jpg

No idea what this is. Help!
DSC_0046.jpg

first picture is actualy a Navy SNJ-5 (Navy version of the AT-6)

second picture is in fact a real Mitsubishi AGM Zero with a Pratt & Whitney engine in it

third: mystery plane is a De Hailland DH-94 moth minor

Thanks for the pics and now I gotta make plans to go there. ;-)

third: mystery plane is a De Hailland DH-94 moth minor

Didn't they give them nick name Chipmunk?

The chipmunk was a different, but similar machine. I flew in a Chipmunk as a member of the UK's Air Training Corps (ROTC equivalent I think). We used to go to the local RAF station about 3 times a year for an "air experience flight". This involved being strapped into a parachute that wouldn't let you stand upright, then you waddled out to the chipmunk (Engine started by a shotgun shell !!) and the climbed into the back seat (along with your barf bag). You then spent the next 30 minutes doing whatever sorts of flight maneuvers you could convince the pilot to do.

Oh and yes they are aerobatic capable.

De havilland chipmunk

Was just watching the "Bridge to Far" segment of Ken Burns' "War" documentary and there was a short clip of rescue efforts of an augered-in Waco glider. The pilots were pinned by the shifted cargo.

Added to my list of destinations. Great pics. Thanks.

Two of my military brat friends saw these pictures on FB this morning, and told me about the Warbirds Museum in Florida, and the Mighty Eighth Museum in SC. Road trip!

Very cool, Jason. I've definitely got to get down to the SE sometime.

I've had a ton of messages, from my brat classmates, just since last night, talking about the nose art on "my dad's B24" or "my dad's P-38." Because of my age and background, nearly 100% of my classmates' fathers fought in WW2. It's really interesting to post something like this on my high school site and a few minutes later, somebody will be reminiscing about "when my dad was a POW....."

Very cool, Jason. I've definitely got to get down to the SE sometime.

I've had a ton of messages, from my brat classmates, just since last night, talking about the nose art on "my dad's B24" or "my dad's P-38." Because of my age and background, nearly 100% of my classmates' fathers fought in WW2. It's really interesting to post something like this on my high school site and a few minutes later, somebody will be reminiscing about "when my dad was a POW....."

Great story. The Fredericksburg Nimitz Museum and the Museum of the Pacific War are worthwhile, also. My dad was also in the Solomon Islands— 2nd Marine Division duty as a Navy Corpsman, 42-44

Fantasy of flight rocks. Went a couple of years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

Yeah I know of some in the Metroplex, but I can see a scooter trip now to the Midland one. Went through there on the IBA ride but lacked the time to see the CAF!

Tim, you need to get your friend down to Fredericksburg and the War in the Pacific Museum. :zen:

He's probably been there. But good suggestion. Back in the spring, we went to the American Airlines Museum - over close to Hwy 360 - together. Now that was a blast, walking though that place with somebody who had an exec's insider knowledge of AA.

Well then, in DFW there are 2 more worth seeing - Cavanaugh at the Addison airport and Frontiers of Flight at Love Field (SE corner). Both have some excellent exhibits. Cavanaugh restores warbirds to flight status and offer rides on some of the 2-seaters. My son got a ride in an AT-6.

+1 on Cavanaugh and FOF.

There is one at hicks i want to go to. Vietnam war muesum. Www.facmuseum.org

Now that i think about it, I hear a guy talking on the ham radio most days that volunteers at Frontiers of Flight.... Maybe we can get a special tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

Y'all might want to come see the air show here sometime. Those of us out this way put on some pretty decent shindigs - especially bike related. The annual air show is great and is the first weekend in October, iirc. We live a coupla miles from the airport and just watch the thing from our patio, usually.

FYI - a bunch of folks out here put $2k up per person and became 'colonels' back in 1990 or 91 (I forget), just before the annual meeting and voted to move it all up here to get the planes off the 'rusty' coast. We put up the significant funds for the museum, and well, here we are!

FYI #2 - the petroleum museum has a new annex - the chapparal race car wing. Several years ago we all lined the highway from Jim Hall's shop on a highway south of town one weekend when TxDot closed the access roads and watched the chapparal race cars make one last run before their permanent static display at the museum. Many, many very wealthy car and bike collectors here in midland-odessa area.

FYI #3 - hotel rooms are hellishly expensive here due to the oil boom, but can be had at decent rates on weekends. The house we bought for $130k just 7 years ago will go the market this month for 3 times that. Most homes in our neighborhood sell in a few hours.

Back