• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Road to Certain Death - A K Trail Tale

Pictures and story are AWESOME Richard,:clap: But one thing I did notice is Miltons new "full face" helmet :thumb:

Pictures and story are AWESOME Richard,:clap: But one thing I did notice is Miltons new "full face" helmet :thumb:

Hey BIG A. If you think Milton's new helmet if spiffy......check out his riding boots!
That dude is tough!

100_0668_zps7922dbe1.jpg

Friday morning getting ready to leave. The first ride for the new 500 EX/C. What a way to break her in.
Oh and by the way.....I absolutely love the new FI 500 EX/C. What a responsive piece of equipment.

100_0661_zpsefc55ab5.jpg

How I wish I still lived in Texas and could have joined you guys!! Looks great.. With my Rekluse clutch, I wouldn't have needed that pesky clutch lever!! :trust:

Gary

Milton and Richard taking a short break after Milton's spill. I think from the sound of their breathing that Milton's DRZ must be a little heavy?

100_0669_zps3d6f7aad.jpg

Friday morning getting ready to leave. The first ride for the new 500 EX/C. What a way to break her in.
Oh and by the way.....I absolutely love the new FI 500 EX/C. What a responsive piece of equipment.

100_0661_zpsefc55ab5.jpg

I'll be watching for your review. Only if they offered it in another color than "Come Steal Me Orange". Good thing I know how to use rattle cans :mrgreen:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't think my new old bikes could handle that stuff, but sure would like to try. The DRZ is almost gone, and I was pretty comfortable w it, but I think I need to hold off for a bit. My sciatic crap is almost done, for now, think I will play around w my old enduros. For those of you that haven't seen on FB, or here, I got a 79 XT500, and a 78 DT175 for playing. Maybe Richard could come up w an old man/old bike ride????

Prize for the oldest combined age, doubt I would be in the running, but I got 87...in a couple of months. Wait, new thread.

Side Note: Did Pam give her diner the right name? Are they Hateful Hussies? I'm not sure but during our meal Jack made a comment to the waitress that she thought was a little dumb so she says to him, "You ain't too bright, are you?" Gosh, that was a little mean. Even if Jack isn't all that bright you don't have to insult him to his face.

Just kidding. About the part about Jack not being that bright. He's actually really smart.

And the waitress had a smile on her face when she said it. She was just being sassy. And you know what happens to sassy girls.

Okay, enough of that. Back to the report.

After our glorious lunch we debated wheeling off into the sunset but there were 3 problems. First, it wasn't sunset. Second. we were riding east. And third, we had another 75 miles or so to ride. Well at least we got to practice our wheelies. Just in case we needed them later.

Wheeling, just not into the sunset
P1010613-L.jpg

Water
As you may know Oklahoma had some deadly storms in the weeks before our trip. However, the worst of the storms had not reached southern OK so the only thing we had to deal with was some water on the trail. Nothing serious, mostly just a bunch of small puddles that we could mostly ride around or easily ride through.

But, of course, there was this one lake on the trail...There always seems to be one...And we found it. Smiley was leading when we arrived and he never hesitated - just plunged right in. He nearly made it across too. But a hidden boulder deflected his front tire causing him and his bike to separate.
P1010680-L.jpg

He said technically it was not a fall since a) he never let go of the bike and b) the bike never fully hit the ground. So, let's call it a near miss. I did manage to get a picture as he returned the bike to its fully upright position.

After Smiley made it across, Taylor decided to give it a try.

P1010684-L.jpg

P1010686-L.jpg

P1010687-L.jpg

Success! Safely on the other side.
P1010691-L.jpg

As was becoming our habit, the rest of us found a bypass.

Last edited:
The trail gets easier
As we expected (and I told you earlier) the trail got progressively easier as we rode east. The middle section of the trail - say from 15 miles to about 50 miles - was mostly class 2, meaning we were able to ride at a faster pace.
P1010635-L.jpg

P1010664-L.jpg

P1010689-L.jpg

P1010665-L.jpg

There were also numerous elevation changes.
P1010659-L.jpg

I think this was my favorite section of the trail. While I enjoyed the earlier class 3, I enjoyed the class 2 more. It gave me a little more time to sight-see plus I felt like we were making good time. But, the truth is that even though we were riding faster, we didn't stop any less. It seemed that every so often we had to stop for something. At least it gave me time to get some good pictures.

Trailside repairs underway
P1010666-L.jpg

Milton was having problems with one of his saddlebags getting into his rear tire...
P1010668-L.jpg

...which a beer can shim partially fixed.
P1010670-L.jpg

I never did figure out where we got the empty beer can from. I didn't drink it and didn't see anyone else drink it. Hmmm...now that I think about it, I wonder if those fellows were enjoying a beer mid-ride and didn't invite me to join in?

Randomly testing the motor drive on my Panasonic Micro 4/3rds G3 camera
P1010672-L.jpg

P1010673-L.jpg

P1010674-L.jpg

P1010675-L.jpg

Last edited:
Love that Milton has burlap in his sidebags! Juan Valdez coffee? ;-)

Signs of Civilization
Prior to the last resort bus there weren't any real signs of civilization along the trail. No houses or other things. After the bus we started to see more human evidence. This old shack looked like a fixer-upper special.
P1010678-L.jpg

And, then, this guy just randomly parked his pickup in the middle of the trail. He wasn't around when we showed up but we managed to wiggle by.
P1010693-L.jpg

Kiamichi Fire Tower
If you've read any other K Trail reports you have probably heard mention of, and seen pictures of, the fire tower. I was looking forward to seeing it for the first time and to getting a few good pics. I didn't have a gun so I wasn't able to add my own personal bullet hole to the collection. Next time.
P1010701-L.jpg

P1010700-L.jpg

Both Jon and I climbed up the tower but I was kind of nervous about it. Only one anchor wire was still attached and I wasn't sure if the tower was going to topple over at any moment. But, I needed an aerial picture so up I went.
P1010695-L.jpg

Jon decided it was safe enough and climbed up after I was back on the ground. Everyone else wisely decided to stay safely on the ground.
P1010703-L.jpg

Milton decided he was tired and needed to rest. Little did we know it was a portend of things to come
P1010694-L.jpg

Last edited:
Let the adventure begin
At the Clayton Country Inn.

130525_162_PS-edt-L.jpg

Topping off in downtown Clayton

130525_168-L.jpg

Searching for my lost mojo
Not the most elegant form but I was moving again.
JT assured us by radio that we were near the top and things were a lot smoother up there. Hummm...
By nature I always take his assurances with a large grain of salt.

Taylor, the new guy.
130525_171-L.jpg

The Last Resort
130525_175-L.jpg

130525_177-L.jpg

JT, conserving his energy
130525_180-L.jpg

At the Hateful Hussy Diner in Talihena, Oklahoma
130525_182_PS-edt-XL.jpg

Not a lot of chrome on our end
130525_185-L.jpg

130525_188-XL.jpg

Great ride report!! How far were your daily trips, mileage wise? I'm fairly sure I need to add an oversize tank to my bike for this type of ride.

Back