• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wild Bunch In The Remote Backcountry of Mexico's Sierra Gorda

nuevo%20padilla3-L.jpg

Richard Gibbens

RIMG0048-L.jpg

If you want to stop at Pollos Asados Charly's, here's where to find it:

nuevo%20padilla2-L.jpg

Your exact GPS coordinates are:

N 24 02' 59"
W 098 53' 49"

Last edited:
The story so far;

Food - Border - Rain - Food

'Bout get it?

Yes, that's it.

If you prefer one word summaries we can go ahead and finish the ride report now and not waste time with a more complete write-up.

Once our hunger was satiated, we mounted up and continued our journey. Aside from the areas where road construction slowed things up we made reasonable progress.
P5230016-XL.jpg

If you are ever in the area, I recommend riding (the old) Highway 101 south out of Victoria versus taking (the new) Highway 126. 101 winds through the mountains while 126 bypasses them as much as possible. Most of the traffic and all of the big trucks take the new highway because it's much faster, leaving hwy 101 empty for folks like us. The twists are fun and the scenery is great - you'll be glad you took this road.
Hwy%20101-XL.jpg

Many hours later we finally arrived in the town of Tula. With a little bit of searching we located the Hotel Mollinedo near the town square. It was a nice place, typically of the type of hotels we sought out during this trip.
P5230022-XL.jpg

P5230024-XL.jpg

They had a courtyard that was big enough for us to secure the bikes overnight.
P5230021-XL.jpg

Once the bikes were unloaded and we were all cleaned up, it was time for a night on the town. After all, we like to PARTY! (And by party, I mean take naps.)

Our night on the town consisted of finding a place to eat, sightseeing, eating ice cream, visiting with the locals, and taking pictures. Not necessarily in that order.

I love the design on this building.
P5230025-XL.jpg

Life is short - make time for ice cream
P5230031-XL.jpg

P5230033-XL.jpg

This little fellow was really interested in the gringo and his camera.
P5230032-XL.jpg

We wandered back to the hotel about 9pm or so (like I said, we are party animals), thus ending the first night.

The boring, straight pavement stuff was now out of the way. The first new dirt of the trip was scheduled for the first thing tomorrow morning and we were ready.

Last edited:
The pic of y'all crowding around the ice cream counter; I can see the boys inside the grown men. Ice cream does that.

pretty good.

Good stuff. :sun:

Things finally got interesting on old Hwy 101 south of Ciudad Victoria

150523_021_PS-edt-3%20m-L.jpg

Mexican rodeo
I've never been to a Mexican rodeo and was tempted.
But Rich had "that look" in his eye.

150523_030-XL.jpg

150523_025-L.jpg

Great scenery south of Cd. Victoria. And finally Tula and our hotel.
The sign behind the front desk clearly states a single room is 260 pesos (about $18). However this little concierge was getting 305 pesos each by promising a fractura or receipt.
The 'ole receipt scam

150523_038-L.jpg

The extra guy is another motorcyclist who joined us for dinner

150523_040-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Every bit the Wild Bunch, don't you think?

150523_045-XL.jpg

Interesting dude down at the plaza.
I asked if he were a musician, did he have an instrument in the bag.
No, he said, that's my luggage.

150523_049-XL.jpg

Saturday night, downtown Tula, Tamaulipas
We asked these guys what was going on that they would ride their horses into town.
They insisted it was nothing special. They always did this.

150523_098-102-hdr_PS-edt-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party but better late then never right?

I rode down to border with JT and Bob.
IMG_0473-L.jpg

We arrived in McAllen early enough that we went ahead and took care of the paperwork at the Anzalduas crossing the evening before the official start of the ride. Having ran through this process in the past we arrived with all the appropriate copies of our paperwork to avoid the added fee of making copies at the border. I guess the copy clerk started feeling left out so they now require you to make a copy of your tourist visa, which of course you get there on-site and have no way of making a copy of other then paying them to do it for you. Crafty buggers! Luckily for me I was the first in line with the cashier and must have had the right twinkle in my eye because she made my copy for me. She wasn't having it for JT and Bob and sent them across the street to the copy center.

JT and Bob taking care of business
IMG_0482-L.jpg

Morning of the ride, Milton getting a crash course on how to operate the camera he borrowed from Richard
IMG_0485-L.jpg

Shout out to my fellow Conquistador brothers!
IMG_0478-L.jpg

Great thing about being "Head of Security" (Tongue-in-cheek here folks) is that I just kicked back and followed the guys around. I pretty much stayed out of the navigation decisions, heck we've got peeps for that already. But when lunch time came about I was all in on that conversation! Bring up food and sometimes I can get a little crazy eyed!
IMG_0499-L.jpg

IMG_0494-L.jpg

The senoritas impressed with Miltons bargaining skills
IMG_0486-L.jpg

Chuck wasn't letting anyone get near that pit in the background
IMG_0492-L.jpg

He wanted these bad boys all to himself!
IMG_0489-L.jpg

Highway 101 was our first taste of the twisties and was a real treat. Here I am with my favorite Uncle Milty checking out the scenery
IMG_0505-L.jpg

Once in Tula we cleaned up and headed out for dinner (man we ate a lot on this trip) and then to the town square to see the sights.

JT showing off his strength by pushing this light pole off center
IMG_0582-L.jpg

Bob tuning in with the locals
IMG_0519-L.jpg

Everyone was talking about ice cream so I thought I'd do this on my own. I walked up to this cart and before I know it had a cup of corn with cream and chili. Not what I was going for...
IMG_0516-L.jpg

This portable library in the town square was pretty cool
IMG_0563-L.jpg

The nightlife was hopping on the square. The young guys were drinking juice and the older guys had their beer. They were very friendly and were interested it what we were doing in their town. One guy told us that they thought we were reporters (because of the camera's) that were doing a story on their town so they all wanted to be in the pictures. Then they asked if we were going to put there pictures on the internet, so here they are

IMG_0532-L.jpg

IMG_0535-L.jpg

The next morning Bob and Chuck made a few repairs to Bob's bike
IMG_0547-L.jpg

Richard took everyone's money in a game of craps
IMG_0564-L.jpg

I had two plates of breakfast. Why not, we're in Mexico!
IMG_0587-L.jpg

And Milton decided to do a little road-side maintenance. I'm sure that story is coming soon...
IMG_0590-L.jpg

Scott and I missed out on the first ice cream foray.
On our way to the plaza.
Apparently Tula's version of "Draggin' Main" :eek2:

150523_065-XL.jpg

Down at the 'ole plaza
Scott warned me that the little cart seen here below did not sell ice cream.

Untitled-1_PS-edt-X2.jpg

Hey. There are some gringos in town taking pictures.
That was the buzz.
Everyone wanted to be a part of it. They thought we were reporters.
And they longed to practice their English. I'd say at least 50% bragged that they had been to the 'States. (Aquel lado)

150523_108-L.jpg

This guy lived 8 of his formative years in the US and attended school there.
When he returned to Mexico he had to learn a whole new life style.

IMG_1020-L.jpg

Via the internet and FaceBook we learned that back home Austin and Central Texas were experiencing historic flooding.
That night I dreamed it was raining outside. The dream was so vivid that when I woke, my first thought was "surely we won't be riding in the rain."

But wait, was that a dream?

150524_118-L.jpg

Which brings us to this episode.
Milton decided to do a little road-side maintenance. I'm sure that story is coming soon...
IMG_0590-L.jpg

Ah, yes. Packed up and ready to go I went to warm up my bike.
The engine took a quarter turn and froze.
Shucks. That didn’t sound good. I had a brand new battery and couldn’t understand how it could have gone to zero so quickly. :shock:

We tried push starting it. We put Stingray Scott on it and pushed him down a hill. The engine was froze tight and wouldn't turn over. Rear wheel locked up. Do you have oil in it?
Hydro-lock ? Could it be hydro locked?
Well the answer from the two mechanics, JT and Chuck, was, of course, it had to be. So, at the bottom of the hill a block away from our hotel it was off with the luggage, off with the side covers and seat. Remove the gas tank. Pull the spark plug. Stand back. Turn the key and Whoosh, out sprays gasoline spewing out of the open cylinder in all directions.
A couple more cycles the cylinder dry and the plug replaced, the bike started right up.

Yea! Applause from all around. :clap: :clap:

Put everything back together. But unanswered was the Why? The petcock is bad, both mechanics agreed. And the needle in the float bowl of the carburetor must not be doing its job. JT gave me a pair of hemostadts so that I could clamp off the fuel line since gas was leaking past the petcock.
Much discussion regarding US gas containing ethanol and Mexican gas being more pure. No ethanol.
And off we go into Day2
After we search for and find the Pemex station in town (out on the highway). By the time we are ready to go it's 11:30.

Last edited:
dang it, that is not supposed to happen when you are in Mexico.
Any Suzuki dealers around there?

Leaving Tula.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSCyYmE20UI"]Leaving Tula 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Day 2

The goal for Day 2 was to reach the town of Aquismon, about 160 miles south of Tula, but our route included a generous portion of dirt roads running through the mountains that we weren't sure actually existed or that went all the way through. In other words, exactly the type of riding and exploring we were here to do.

Day%202-XL.jpg

But before we could venture into the unknown, we had to get out of town. That proved to be a bit of challenge.

As was to become our habit, each of us woke up about 6am, got dressed, and then wandered out of our rooms about 7am in search of coffee and breakfast (in that order). I carried my camera with me in search of photographic opportunities.

Saturday night is party night in Mexico. Which means Sunday mornings are a bit quite and sleepy
P5240036-XL.jpg

Tula is in the process of building a walking / amphitheater area for use by the citizens. It looks like it will be quite nice, once complete. The clerk at the hotel told me about it after he saw my camera so I had to go have a look.
P5240037-XL.jpg

P5240052-XL.jpg

OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) has been at work in Mexico and told the workers they could no longer jump the gap - the potential to injury from the 10 foot was too great. So, this ladder was pressed into duty as a bridge. Looks okay to me. :mrgreen:
P5240053-XL.jpg

There are shrines all over Mexico. This is one of the more elaborate ones I've seen.
_5240039_40_41_42_43-XL.jpg

After a bit of wandering around, it was time for breakfast. The restaurant at the hotel proved to be a good choice.
P5240054-XL.jpg

After breakfast we began packing our bikes, ready to ride.
P5240055-XL.jpg

Unfortunately, Milton's bike was hydro-locked. His petcock and carb float had both failed, allowing his cylinder to fill with gasoline. Chuck and JT set about solving the issue...
P5240060-XL.jpg

...while Bob worked to win the hearts and minds of the locals.
P5240057-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Tula in the morning

150524_129-XL.jpg

If you're lucky enough to get street signs in Mexico, they are usually on the corners of buildings
150524_130-L.jpg

An antique mail box
150524_132-XL.jpg

150524_133-L.jpg

OK. Let's ride

Last edited:
Back