• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wild Bunch In The Remote Backcountry of Mexico's Sierra Gorda

I went in 2008 with Mike heggie and Bill sandlin as lead guides, we had 10 riders that time total, good times, u goin to Jalpan mektrek April 2016 ?

Bill was always a joy to ride with. Always happy when he was in MX. When you can, stop by a special shrine and offer some kind words for his soul. As for the event in April, I just don't think ahead like that anymore. I still have a longing to ride the sierras, but the chemistry has not happened.

Bill was always a joy to ride with. Always happy when he was in MX. When you can, stop by a special shrine and offer some kind words for his soul. As for the event in April, I just don't think ahead like that anymore. I still have a longing to ride the sierras, but the chemistry has not happened.
I actually have been given some of Bill's ashes, and next time iam atop cerro potosi, im taking my good buddy up there, it was one of his favorite spots, that place or the eastern scenic view riding down to Batopilas in copper canyon, we'll see where bill will end up at, which ever comes first. and the chemistry ?? u just have to make time somehow...and I believe there's mektrek in October 2016 back to galeana, and if I plan anything, I will let u know too.

Last edited:
Just curious and I apologize if this is covered somewhere and I haven't seen it yet, but can you offer insight of required fees to cross the border?

I know there are taxes on your bike that you recover when you leave the country. Is it based on the value of the bike or how does that work?

Just curious and I apologize if this is covered somewhere and I haven't seen it yet, but can you offer insight of required fees to cross the border?

I'm going to give you very rough US dollar amounts because of the variable in the exchange rate:

(1) Tourist Visa $20

(2) Vehicle Permit $50

(3) Deposit for Vehicle Permit which you get back when you clear the bike out of Mexico in time: up to $400 cash or credit card

(4) Mandatory motorcycle insurance - liability at minimum is required. Price varies by length of policy.

These are your four cash outlays up front to cross the border.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

I will have Mexico insurance through my carrier as I have spoken with them so I should be good there.

I will have Mexico insurance through my carrier as I have spoken with them so I should be good there.

Be careful here. US insurance carrier "coverage" for Mexico, where it exists, isn't the same as policies underwritten by Mexico underwriters.

Understand the differences and gaps

Good point. I specifically asked and the policy is good for anywhere in Mexico. Some are for only 25 miles or so across the border.

He assured me that it meets the Mexico minimum required coverage.

Do you recommend getting a policy at the border? How have you secured this coverage in the past?

Again, I really appreciate the help and advice.

Back