• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2020 Around the Bend

First off, I'd like to specifically thank Dustin, TJ, Rich, and Jimmy. I owe a lot of people in this community a drink or three, but y'all are first in line.

I rode from Austin to Study Butte on wednesday on my 1993 KLR650, along with my friend Dustin. The temperature leaving Austin was 39 degrees, and in parts of Big Bend it was 32. I have never broken a speed limit as badly as I did trying to get through Big Bend NP to a warm motel.

The Thursday ride was up to Dustin and I. After refilling the quart of oil my KLR ate, we decided to hop on Old Maverick Road and then try out River Road West. We headed down Old Maverick Road down to Saint Elana Canyon, which was beautiful.
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6990.jpg

Walking back to our bikes, Dustin pointed out liquid on my front tire. Wasn't much and didn't taste like brake fluid, so we shrugged and moved onto River Road. I got about a quarter mile into River Road before I pulled off to inspect it again.
IMG_7009.jpg
20200227_133655_copy.jpg

And, bad news. My right fork was profusely leaking fluid onto my front tire and brakes. The striped pattern is oil flinging outwards from rotation. This was especially frustrating since I had recently had the front suspension completely rebuilt by a pretty renowned professional. Still, it's old junk, and you deal with old junk problems.

So, I talk with Dustin for a second, and along comes some guy on a Husqy701, and says something along the lines of "That's Baby Mark!" And I realize it's a group of guys I met during the last Mextrek. (Sean, Tim, adult Mark & Curtis). It ends up being perfect because Dustin wants to do the rest of River Road, and I limp back to the motel, along Maxwell Scenic Highway.
IMG_7012.jpg

After digging in the fork seal for a while, another group of guys sees me repeatedly running my bike into a berm (testing the forks) , wondering what the **** I was doing. They immediately jump to action and try to help me, we end up popping it on a stand and trying again. (Sorry to those guys, I don't remember your names) The leaking gets a little better and I figured that was good enough. We go to the introduction banquet and enjoy everyone's company.

On the second day, we wake up, grab some coffee and join some guys from last year's TAR, and we set off after Old Ore Road. We're rocking the road for a while, kicking up dust when suddenly...

Plugged pilot jet. I kill the battery trying to get it started. I was just about to push that bike into the desert and leave it. Thankfully, as per usual, my group was more than supportive and we hatched a plan...well, sordof. They'll bumpstart me and I go as far as I can. It takes a few tries, but suddenly I'm off to the races, I can't stop/cut throttle or I'm stuck again. And for those with too much free time, you can watch the whole thing. 56 minutes, complete with several close calls, jeeps, and profanity. ...a lot of profanity. (This video is still processing as I'm writing this)

So, I get to the end, my pilot jet magically fixes itself and the battery charges (a little), and I wait for ~40 minutes for my group. Bike works, my spirits are once again intact, and we take off towards Glenn Spring.
IMG_7014.jpg

At the end of the trail, I stop to take pictures again.
IMG_7035.jpg

Aaaaand bike's dead, again. We get it bumpstarted and I limp back to camp....again, tail between my legs. I send out texts to all my motorcycle compatriots. I'm starting to lose faith, and I ignore my troubles until the next day. I set up camp, we hit up La Kiva, (Keith and Mike now along) listen to Sean's story about his trouble with the local lawmen, and get some more sleep.

Day 3, I listen to my group talk about their planned ride to top of the world while I continue my search for a battery. I call a shop north of Study Butte, "Ralph" answers and tells me he has batteries, but they're uncharged and will take at least 4 hours to get set up, then another hour to cool down. That's pretty much my day, but at least I'll get home. But, then, TJ shows up with a battery just for me, we get it hooked up and suddenly I'm in business again, spirits back at full. I gear up, grab gas, get in touch with my group and after a short solo ride out the east leg of the top of the world loop, we are reunited once again.

This did mean I missed out on the peak, but I was just happy to be operational again. We take a detour on the way back and hit some wonderfully alienic vistas, with some of the best pictures I've ever taken.
IMG_7045.jpg
20200229_131239.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg
IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

So, we finish it out, grab some BBQ, shower and head to the banquet to talk to everyone, with stories to spare. The campfire that night was especially warm and friendly, and I crawled into my tent and crossed my fingers for the ride home, which would be just me, my camping gear and my KLR650 for at least 8 hours.

And that's my Big Bend Adventure. Oh, well, except that the KLR wasn't done causing me anxiety. I rocketed along i10 for hours at the highest speed I could without eating oil, making it all the way to Junction, TX, and parked at the McDonald's parking lot. After raising my cholesterol levels, I get back on and hit the starter button. It cranks once and dies.

I'm about sure that I just sat there and stared at my bike for about 45 seconds. I knew my insurance covered towing, but I was trying to remember what that mileage limit was...I remember 200, but was that round trip? I dialed Allstate, and as I was sifting through the "Press 1 for English," I see someone walking out of the McDonalds that looks familiar...actually, it looks like Richard Gibbons. I yell "RICH!" with about as much desperation as I could manage. He catches me and magically, we hatch a plan to load his KTM on his truck and my KLR on his trailer. He graciously trucks me, my gear and my bike home, even feeds me dinner. (Side note, thanks again Rich if you're reading this).

I get home, we unload the bike, I shove it in my apartment rented garage and I try to relax as much as I can. Mextrek is coming up in April and I now don't have a bike to take, as this was about the last straw with this KLR.

I've never known a community like this. Every issue I had or even mentioned under my breath, I've had twenty people trying to help, offering their equipment and gear without wanting anything (well, sometimes a beer or two) in return. Thank you to everyone who took care of me, helped, offered to help, or even just offered to share a drink or two with me. I'll be around.

P.S., Rich, if you're still reading, I'll offer a ran-when-parked '82 KZ650 and/or '93 KLR650 for those KLX's we talked about....

Marky Mark- Great recap and photo content! Those are some really good images you took.

Enjoyed helping you out and sharing a beer/fire/coffee at the campsite.

Jimmy

No clue yet, but we think possibly ignition coil. It was one of the codes thrown that produces the symptoms the bike had.

We had a rider on a previous Mextrek who's bike suddenly died just as we were about to cross into Mexico. Wr250r. It was the ecu or the coil, don't recall which exact part. His trip was done, over. Local Yamaha dealer would not allow sale of that part off a showroom bike (boooo).

Nice meeting you too Monica!

Many thanks @Mextrekadv , I really appreciate you. I feel like I have had the heck beat out of me. I have a hand sized bruise on the inside of my right thigh. My hip feels like I may need to go get it xrayed, I might have cracked something. I barely can make it up, and when up, I can barely make it down......Remember the Alamo!!!!

Many thanks @Mextrekadv , I really appreciate you. I feel like I have had the heck beat out of me. I have a hand sized bruise on the inside of my right thigh. My hip feels like I may need to go get it xrayed, I might have cracked something. I barely can make it up, and when up, I can barely make it down......Remember the Alamo!!!!
I’d like to hear the story of how you got those dings..... :popcorn:

I’d like to hear the story of how you got those dings..... :popcorn:

About 5 miles in on the river road west side from Castalon headed east. I'm on a new BMW 310 GS with stock issue tires. I just dabbed my right foot and it dabbed pretty **** hard, instant pain. I couldnt put my foot back up on the peg without grabbing my pants leg. We made it back out the Glen Springs Road. No way could I have finished the whole loop. I needed help off the bike back at camp. Someone took off my boots for me and I slept in my clothes. I felt better the next day, but stayed primarily on asphault or smoother rock roads like the Maverick Rd.

About 5 miles in on the river road west side from Castalon headed east. I'm on a new BMW 310 GS with stock issue tires. I just dabbed my right foot and it dabbed pretty **** hard, instant pain. I couldnt put my foot back up on the peg without grabbing my pants leg. We made it back out the Glen Springs Road. No way could I have finished the whole loop. I needed help off the bike back at camp. Someone took off my boots for me and I slept in my clothes. I felt better the next day, but stayed primarily on asphault or smoother rock roads like the Maverick Rd.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of boots were you wearing? The reason I ask is because I was wearing Forma Adventures, which I love, but this trip made me realize I need something with better ankle support. Thinking about the Sidi or Alpinestars.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of boots were you wearing? The reason I ask is because I was wearing Forma Adventures, which I love, but this trip made me realize I need something with better ankle support. Thinking about the Sidi or Alpinestars.

I have the Sidi Adventurers, my longest owned piece of bike gear & they been used hard. Full support & once broken in they are so comfortable you can hike in them.

I have the Sidi Adventurers, my longest owned piece of bike gear & they been used hard. Full support & once broken in they are so comfortable you can hike in them.

Same here. I bought a pair back in early 2013 and they are still my go to boots. Mine were comfy right out of the box, no break in at all. They are scuffed up and dirty but they are still waterproof and in good condition. I have a spare pair that I got from Pdef here on the forum for a steal and they are brand new, not a scuff or scratch on them. I keep thinking I'll need them soon, but the other boots are still doing great even though they have been through a LOT.

I have to say, I bought my KLIM Badlands Pro jacket and pants at the same time as the boots. They too are still going strong. They were expensive up front, but spread out over seven years and a few nasty get offs, they were a bargain! They are still in great condition. Like the boots, I keep feeling like I ought to start thinking about replacing them but they just don't need it yet. Like the boots, the jacket and pants were great right out of the packaging.

Just to put it out there, I love my Alpinestars Toucan Gore-Tex Boots. They needed zero break in and I can wear them 10 hours a day without ever feeling any hot spots.

+1 on the Badlands Pro gear. They have a new line that I would look at before I got the Badlands Pro gear again. It is a bit heavy so now Klim is doing more mesh with a zip on waterproof jacket and pants.

I had more of a street type of riding boot. I am looking at some better more substancial boots for this kind of riding.

We had a rider on a previous Mextrek who's bike suddenly died just as we were about to cross into Mexico. Wr250r. It was the ecu or the coil, don't recall which exact part. His trip was done, over. Local Yamaha dealer would not allow sale of that part off a showroom bike (boooo).

Nice meeting you too Monica!
Oh no poor guy! Would have been cool of that dealer to help out tho.
Yeah mine was sudden onset as well.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments, advice, and support!

@Mextrekadv : my mishap was in no way your responsibility. The route should not have been modified due to my participation anyway so it was as it should be!

Update: MRI found I fractured a corner of the tibia at the knee joint along with sprain of a few ligaments.

Good News is no surgery.

Bad news is no weight bearing for six freaking weeks minimum; maybe longer. I don’t do crutches well; they are painful for me.

No Hill Country Spring Rally for me :-(

Could be worse for sure!

c839d3bf1d247915f646308e263008bf.jpg

Many thanks to everyone for your comments, advice, and support!

@Mextrekadv : my mishap was in no way your responsibility. The route should not have been modified due to my participation anyway so it was as it should be!

Update: MRI found I fractured a corner of the tibia at the knee joint along with sprain of a few ligaments.

Good News is no surgery.

Bad news is no weight bearing for six freaking weeks minimum; maybe longer. I don’t do crutches well; they are painful for me.

No Hill Country Spring Rally for me :-(

Could be worse for sure!

c839d3bf1d247915f646308e263008bf.jpg
Sorry for your boo boo. You'll be good as new in a few months. Then you can tell people, "it's okay I can still ride" . Watch for their reaction when they hear that. :trust:. That was my line for my broken clavicle.😸

Get ANY kind of injury while riding and people will instantly start asking, "So are you finally going to give up riding?" :doh:

I have to say, I bought my KLIM Badlands Pro jacket and pants at the same time as the boots. They too are still going strong. They were expensive up front, but spread out over seven years and a few nasty get offs, they were a bargain! They are still in great condition. Like the boots, I keep feeling like I ought to start thinking about replacing them but they just don't need it yet. Like the boots, the jacket and pants were great right out of the packaging.

I have the sme & agree, money spent on quality gear is never wasted. A good trick is to peruse ADVRider for that stuff, so many people upgrade and sell off barely used kit for pennies. I got my Badlands setup for 50% off retail, you couldn't even tell it had been worn!

2 & 1/2 hours fixing a front tire long story

Attachments

• A5356591-BB42-40A7-A915-E5B15ABFB1BB.jpeg
    A5356591-BB42-40A7-A915-E5B15ABFB1BB.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 295
  • E44BD7A6-4E6A-455A-9D2E-40398A812A6E.jpeg
    E44BD7A6-4E6A-455A-9D2E-40398A812A6E.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 286
  • E3480A5D-E34B-476C-9B72-913E6862C8E1.jpeg
    E3480A5D-E34B-476C-9B72-913E6862C8E1.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 295
Helping another group with a broken case. I had some epoxy JB weld.

Attachments

• C83D12FE-030A-4EED-BEA6-1DDC5D35E519.jpeg
    C83D12FE-030A-4EED-BEA6-1DDC5D35E519.jpeg
    754.6 KB · Views: 279
Not too much of a writer so I will post pictures

Attachments

• D5F25FD0-92AC-45F0-9B02-6050A3E91872.jpeg
    D5F25FD0-92AC-45F0-9B02-6050A3E91872.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 271
  • C4095827-034A-44E9-867A-53756B432EDA.jpeg
    C4095827-034A-44E9-867A-53756B432EDA.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 74F9B758-38A7-4A13-A15F-A460A23D319E.jpeg
    74F9B758-38A7-4A13-A15F-A460A23D319E.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 255
  • B2DA8B5F-C63B-41A9-AFFB-0B8FC4231679.jpeg
    B2DA8B5F-C63B-41A9-AFFB-0B8FC4231679.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
2 & 1/2 hours fixing a front tire long story
Man that sucked. Tubeless spoke rims came with my XT Strom. I wonder if tubeless spoke wheels are that expensive, you would think they would at least even make them an option for that 790.

Get ANY kind of injury while riding and people will instantly start asking, "So are you finally going to give up riding?" :doh:

doesn't even hafta to be an injury sustained from riding. my coworkers automatically assume any boo boo i have came from motorcycles. i get comments like, "when ya gunna give them motorcycles up?". 😔

Man that sucked. Tubeless spoke rims came with my XT Strom. I wonder if tubeless spoke wheels are that expensive, you would think they would at least even make them an option for that 790.

They are tubeless. Cut side wall was the issue, it ended up with a patch inside on sidewall and a tube in it.

They are tubeless. Cut side wall was the issue, it ended up with a patch inside on sidewall and a tube in it.

That was my ride. We thought about a plug, but the sidewall cut was about an inch, so it would been at least 2 plugs, which probably won't work. Then we patched the inside but couldn't get the tire to seat (Rich G. suggested the "rope" technique the next morning, so I have packed that away in my mental toolkit). Then we put an 18 in tube, which we managed to puncture. 2nd tube was going in as Tim's Angels showed up and helped us get it done. The tire wouldn't fully seat, but it was good enough to get me to Rio Grande Village and then the rest of the way back to TL. It sucked, but as with all adventures, I learned a ton and made some great new friends.

Back