• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Nice morning weather to ride. We headed up to Ft.Davis state park for some morning views.

The third picture shows how smoky it is. You can barely see the observatory, which is shut do to the ‘Rona. This is as close as we could get.

We did get to talk to a real nice rancher for awhile at this spot. He shyly admitted he only owns 13 sections of land next to the observatory.

We continued on the scenic loop and saw some more nice sights and abandoned houses.

bonus picture is we rolled up on some pronghorn chilin’ by the fence. Couldn’t do that with loud pipes.

I do love that area there. Been out there twice, neither time on two wheels but both times memorable. Star party during Thanksgiving weekend one year was most stars I'd ever seen, and FREEZING. Last year we did some camping in BBRSP, just as amazing but different from the NP. Would love to get out there again soon.

Man, that smoke is something.

considering nothing is burning here, I can only imagine farther west. It doesn’t smell like a bbq cook off here but it is plenty to irritate your eyes and throat.

Good to see pronghorn coming back in Texas. They are like jackrabbits in Wyoming.

The land poor rancher we talked to said there’s a decent population of elk that got loose many years ago. He said they are bugling and looking for mates right now. Also said black bear are often seen on game cameras knocking over deer feeders. Fingers crossed they all make a come back.

Good to hear reports like that from outside the park. I'm all for elk making a big comeback but would prefer the bear maintain their minor presence.

The old timers say the area of Texas I'm in had lots of elk a couple hundred years ago. I forget when exactly they said they were hunted out but it's no wonder they seem to really thrive in the high fence ranches around here.

Can I post a ride report without any photos of the ride? I was so enthused about riding for the FIRST time since January that all I did was ride and I didn't take any photos along the way.

As you may know, the temps in Arizona this year have been setting numerous records; stuff like 50+ days of temps over 115 and that sort of thing. So even when I did have a rare spare moment to ride, I just didn't want to in that heat; LD Comfort or not. But yesterday was slated to be no more than 105 so if we left early enough we could be back home before it really started to ratchet up.

Four of us met at 7 am in Fountain Hills (far east side of the Phoenix valley) and from there we rode up to Pine. Starting elevation was about 1000 and the ending elevation was 5000+ so there are some great curves and sweepers to ride as we climb the Beeline Hwy from Fountain Hills up to Payson. Again, sorry, but no ride photos. Besides, at the "brisk" pace we were running, it was safer to keep both hands on the bars. :doh:

We arrived at the Early Bird at 8:30 to a delightful 66 degrees; had a great breakfast with great service; had some great conversation; and then we headed back down the hill into the inferno.

Waiting on the others to arrive.

Waiting to ride 9-20-20.jpg

A wonderful temp after being exposed to nothing lower than 75 degrees for the past five months.

IMG_20200920_082507.jpg

The motley crew: a cop, an investment advisor, an FAA safety inspector, and an old, fat retired guy happy to be out of the heat for a couple of hours.

The Short List 9-20-20.jpg

The temp (sigh) as I pulled into my garage at 11:30 am.

IMG_20200920_113630.jpg

And the route. Straight up the mountain, and straight back down. 230 miles.

9-20-20 Breakfast RTE in Pine with The Short List.png

Up early and headed towards BBSP. Met the local medicine man at breakfast. (Picture Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now)

Rode to Marfa and then in to the park on the northwest side off FM169. Lotsa deep sand and gravel. The road and view actually got better when we made it to the park.

One thing I’ve never seen is purple cactus. At first I thought it was either some artsy thing or maybe “no trespassing” cactus, but turns out it was all over.

DL did real good considering it came with road tires. He only dabbed once and the pannier caught his leg just enough to say “don’t put your feet down!” Then he just throttled through it.

so when you see a sign that says "4 wheel drive vehicles only", does that mean a bike isn't allowed to take that road?

Were you warping through time when you took those pics or does your camera have an issue...? :ponder:

Good weather to ride my home track today. I’m either so fast that I roost myself, or probably so slow that the front of the bike gets as dirty as the back. :rider:

If only I had a bike

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Back