• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

• Thread starter Thread starter Jarrett
  • Start date Start date
You got a touring bike. Keep riding if it's raining, with all that plastic in front of you, you might not even need a rain suit. I know if I have the screen up on the FJR and can maintain speed I hardly get wet at all. It's when the Dallas traffic slows down that things get bad. Looks like whatever part of Kansas is close to NM is also close to Colorado, so you could bag an extra state across the corner if you wanted to. Maybe post up your routes, there might be some to offer suggestions of places to see or stop at along the way, or recommended roads. Either way, have fun. I need to rent a Goldwing soon and see how my son does on it, I think he'd like the passenger accommodations better on one of those.

Linda and I have ridden in torential rain, hail, and snow while traveling on our Wing. You will be fine.

As you start venturing farther and farther from the house you will get used to riding in lots of different weather sometimes on the the same trip.

If you start second guessing the weather you won't ever travel far from the house.

Last edited:
If you start second guessing the weather you won't ever travel far from the house.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

On a trip up north several years ago just outside of Sturgis I took shelter under an Interstate overpass due to "severe" weather and tornado warnings.
On a trip from Phx to Kansas I was headed north out of Dalhart TX about 2 am and the weather radio was talking about tornadic activity. It was perfectly flat with no places for cover other than the ditch on the side of the road. I just kept riding.
On my San Diego to Jacksonville rides three years ago I holed up in a hotel in the Hill Country just because it was night, the rain was torrential, and it was the middle of Deer Country USA.
I've sat in numerous McDonald's over the years waiting as storms passed, and then started riding again as soon as they abated.
On my trip across Canada I probably rode in rain more than I rode in fair weather.

As long as you have "good" rain gear the Wing will provide you with a lot of protection and you'll find that you can keep riding through a lot of weather. I would much rather ride in rain than to ride in unpredictable high winds.

Inspired in part by GixerJasen's recent trip

Ahem, from Day 2, in the beautiful Colorado mountains...

i-G2HXGPQ-XL.jpg

In that case, I scarfed down my sandwich, got some shopping done, put on my rain suit and the sky opened up on me as I headed out.

All you have to do is put on the rain gear and ride. When its hot, the rain can be quite pleasant. I didn't believe in the term "Motorcycle weather protection" until I got the FJR. It IS possible to handle inclement weather on a bike if you have the right bike. You have the right bike. A little gear and you will be laughing at all the Harley guys hiding under the overpass from a little rain.

Now hail is a different story and I've had a few close calls but nothing bad thankfully.

I say take the trip, have fun, learn some stuff about you, traveling, weather, the bike, and how much fun you'll have regardless.

I made it to Coleman, TX and this cut me off:

View attachment 303941
I tried to push through,, but it was one of the more ugly storms I've ridden into. Green clouds, high winds and constant lightning.
Looks like a wise decision to me.

I decided it was a good time to stop for dinner and let this pass, so I did a youie and headed back to Coleman. I'm glad that I did because I found the Cattle Drive Cafe in downtown Coleman, Texas. They were extremely hospitable and the food was really good.

View attachment 303948
Looks delicious.

I pulled into the parking lot of the hotel and Abilene just as it started getting dark.View attachment 303955
Do you have a bike cover? If not, I strongly suggest getting one. A half cover is what I use; covers the back trunk, the seats, and the front of the bike. Keeps nosy eyes off the bike.

Keep in mind that the Low over Arizona that has been bringing us a lot of rain and some snow (yes, snow last night at Greer, Sunrise, and Flagstaff) will be shifting east over the next few days so that may drag some of that moisture from Mexico up toward your direction. Just keep an eye on the forecasts and plan accordingly.

sunrise.jpg

Dang you Jarrett, you steal my thunder at every turn!!! JK I hope you have a great trip.

Remember to keep your foot on that rear brake when stopping. I said that because I saw a video of a couple who lives off their bikes and posts their stuiff on Youtube. The husband pulls a trailer behind his Harley. They were going up a hill and he stopped at a stop sign and put both feet down. Of course since he wasn't covering the rear brake the bike and trailer started rolling backwards, jackknifing the trailer and sending the bike to the ground. It's amazing how many people still pull up to a stop and put both feet down.

That Wing is a beauty. I love the blue!

Anyway, just catching up, it's amazing what kind if weather can be ridden through. I got poured on from Gunnison, CO to Taos, NM back in the day (2012 maybe?). The old GSA handled it well but I never saw a lot of lightning. Stopping for severe lightning is a good call.

Keep us updated and keep having a great ride!

Enjoy your trip! Be safe.
when ya get back have a wild bunch I ride with let’s ride.
safe travels

Back