• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[DFW] Tire Changing 101 - Jan 24th

Soozy

Reaction score
Re: [DFW] Tire Changing 101 - Jan 24th starting at 9AM'ish

What a crowd the seminar drew! I headed out at about 9ish and thought I knew the way to Bill's. I ended up going in circles until I had to go get gas. I kept smelling barbeque, so that led me there.

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

YUM!!!!! Deer and Elk sausage!

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

It was really cold, but Rachel knew where to hang out...
IMG_1340.jpg

Here is what we were there to learn about. I am crediting the blurred pictures to the speed of the work being done.

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

And here is Grahm burning a patch.

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Ed was teaching one of the very young ladies how to remove a rear wheel. She had soft pink gloves on when the seminar began. She commented about ruining the gloves but it sure didn't stop her from continuing to work.

IMG_1362.jpg

Chuck and I flashed our cameras at the same time and created something like a party balloon.

IMG_1341.jpg

Elzi made a cold ride to be there.

IMG_1358.jpg

Darkside Yamaha Majesty.

IMG_1363.jpg

Thanks Bill, you are the best for doing stuff like this!! (Hope your neighbors are still speaking to you)

Bill, I picked up some great tips!!!!!! Neat tool you welded together to loosen the axle on the Triumph Rocket.

Thanks for putting this on and having us over, cooking lunch and all the work involved putting this together and anyone else who helped with this session, thanks.

I stopped by Cycle Gear on the way home to pick up 3 pairs of the hard rim protectors, will be heading to Napa for the lub and rigging up my HF bar.

Loved seeing all you bikes along with the other bikes from people who rode.

Nice to see ones I have before, Ed, Bill, Rebecca, (may be messing a couple here) and meeting the others.

I'm headed over right now. Save me some sausage.

:popcorn:

Thank goodness it didn't burst into flames with that car tire on the back.. :-P

Man, it was deer blind 04:30 cold. Pictures coming shortly.

Last edited:
I'm glad you all enjoyed it, and I hope that at least some of you learned a thing or two. I'm a crappy teacher, but if you ask me a question or two I'm always glad to try and answer.

I look forward to seeing more of the pics.

You need to get an internet camera so those us who are unable to attend gatherings at your residence can watch online.

It was a great turnout, despite the cold.

As usual, a TWT smorgasboard of bikes...
200901TireChange009.jpg

200901TireChange014.jpg

200901TireChange046.jpg

200901TireChange021.jpg

Breaking the bead
200901TireChange068.jpg

Gil waxes poetic about the zen of tire balancing
200901TireChange019.jpg

No-Mar Tire balancer in action
200901TireChange017.jpg

200901TireChange018.jpg

Bill uses ninja skills on brisket
200901TireChange023.jpg

200901TireChange005.jpg

He is Brisket Ninja Master
200901TireChange006.jpg

Celebrity endorsement by FWRex of recommended lube for tire beads when installing tires, (Caution: NOT recommended for prophylactics)
200901TireChange076.jpg

Baby gets some new shoes.
200901TireChange064.jpg

Bill's attempt to illustrate the "Blow the tire on the rim technique" Unfortunately, it was so cold, I don't think there were any fumes to ignite.

200901TireChange098.jpg

Recommended mod to the end of the Harbor Freight tire bar to prevent rim damage when reinstalling the tires.
200901TireChange074.jpg

Calgary-Yogi's "pull the valve through the hole dodad"
200901TireChange061.jpg

Break the bead with your buddy's sidestand technique.
200901TireChange038.jpg

WHY WON'T THIS THING GO ON!
200901TireChange033.jpg

Removal
200901TireChange075.jpg

Nothing like a couple of warm smiles to fight the cold
200901TireChange102.jpg

Putting it back on
200901TireChange082.jpg

Nothing guarantees a job is done right like a bloody knuckle.
200901TireChange063.jpg

Um, Bill, I think we've figured out your leaky tire problem.
200901TireChange012.jpg

200901TireChange013.jpg

200901TireChange104.jpg

200901TireChange007.jpg

Last edited:
Bill! Thanks again for a wonderful afternoon and fantastic food. It was great to see everyone!

You have crazy tire changing skillz. :mrgreen:

Looks great. I think I learned as much as you guys did in my baby class today. I'll have to make the next one of these. Thanks for putting it on even if I couldn't attend. Did anyone get any video?

Bill, thanks for hosting the party. I'd have shown up for the brisket alone, it was that good. Thanks for getting me sorted on using the tire changer. Good, useful information, great food and a morning spent in the company of a fine group of people.

No-Mar Tire balancer in action
200901TireChange017.jpg

Without a doubt, the most exciting activity of the day. :sun:

:lol2:

I have a few pictures but was too lazy to do anything with them tonight. :shrug:

Yep, it was cold. The garage heater was a big help. Concentrating on the job at hand, another.

Bill was a great host! :thumb: Oh, Rachel, too. :clap:

I think we tried to count and estimated 25-30 folks there at one time or another. Quite a few new faces and some folks that said they were going to sign up on TWT now...

Brisket was terrific! :eat:

:tab I see that pic of Bill trying to lite that tire and all I can think of is that scene in Bugs Life where the Flea Circus Master leaps out with the match and screams... "FLAMING... DEATH!!" :lol2: I also imagine Bill's attempt going about the same as the act did in the show :doh: :-P

:tab Mmmm.... brisket... makes me hungry just looking at the pics... I likes me some beef!

I hope you were able to stay warm on the ride back to Georgetown!

Thank God for the Powerlet 100W heated liner that I got for Christmas..
Total of 6 hours riding ... and all of it under 36 degrees.

My legs and feet are still thawing out :rofl:

It was nice to meet you.

It was nice to meeting everyone.

I thought the idea of a Tire Changing class was brilliant :thumb:

Bill, thank you again for the hospitality. Great brisket for the first try, I hope I'm there for the next cause it's only gonna get better and the first was excellent. Thanks for giving me the fatty piece :eat: It was nice meeting the rest of you as well (to many to name!) my favorite trick of the day was the bike lift a la ratchet straps, I will have it rigged in my garage by noon Sunday. I'm kinda glad it was 35 degrees at noon today, otherwise we would have had a traffic jam on Longmeadow! Thanks again for hosting and educating.:clap:

This is what I was talking about Bill and with a few others who were listening. I think you will recognize this style now that you see a photo.

Dynaplug.gif

Bill Hannon,

Thanks for the demo on mushroom plugs, first time to see them in person.

Thanks gord to the photographers!! As they say, w/o photos it didn't happen.

How well does the tire balancer work? and is there a certain model that you used?

Gil was using the NoMar wheel balancer ( http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/9 ).

The tire balancer works as well as the person balancing it :lol2: and Gil was working it very well :rofl:. Gil tested and added weight multiple times. After adding the last weights he tested even more by stopping and retesting from a different starting position.

The picture of Gil balancing the tire was my tire. I had a very smooth 3 hour ride home on the new tire ... I was thinking it was smoother than when it was new.

Sorry I couldn't get away from the packing and storage phase to make it up there. This picture alone explains everything I need to know. I'm sending a copy suitable for framing to Oil Can Harry's. I hear they are looking for restroom art. :rofl:

200901TireChange076.jpg

Thanks Whannon for the info, with the price of mounting and balancing these days I think I am going to buy a balancer and start doing it my self.

Was that the standard model?

In roughly chronologigical order:

The tube gang at work:
d70_6260q.jpg

A hint of things to come (there wasn't any left):
d70_6261q.jpg

A Triumph Rocket III hamstrung:
d70_6262q.jpg

Drawing a crowd - tire demounting & mounting:
d70_6263q.jpg

The tube guys at work:
d70_6264q.jpg

Warming up near the space heater: Rebecca (Squeaky) and Debbie (Snoopster):
d70_6266q.jpg

Probably the most popular item of the day:
d70_6267q.jpg

The Triumph regains its dignity:
d70_6268q.jpg

and is returned to the parking area:
d70_6269q.jpg

An idea of the activity:
d70_6270q.jpg

Brad (jbh) lugging a knobby:
d70_6271q.jpg

How to break the bead in the middle of nowhere:
d70_6275q.jpg

Some FJR riders:
d70_6277q.jpg

Paparazzi!
d70_6278q.jpg

Front row seats:
d70_6280q.jpg

Graeme polluting:
d70_6282q.jpg

KLR mechanics: Ed (ed29) and Celeste (cwadej's daughter and future dual sport rider):
d70_6283q.jpg

d70_6284q.jpg

Observers from Houston: James (jar673) and Tom (tjbrandt50):
d70_6285q.jpg

Some people are just never serious: :roll:
d70_6286q.jpg

it's Debbie (Snoopster)

And some react to not being able ride due to work/school/class:
d70_6288q.jpg

it's Hannah (KomodoreObvious)

Bikes in the street - that's Bill (whannon) ready to take off:
d70_6290q.jpg

An inspection party looking over the bikes:
d70_6291q.jpg

Celeste assists Graeme and Ed:
d70_6292q.jpg

"Hey, it's empty!". David trucked in his DR for some jetting work:
d70_6293q.jpg

It's nice to find out what you are good for - here Squeaky is the counter-weight for Elzi's Whee-Strom since we had no front stand:
d70_6294q.jpg

Celeste watching the intense task of balancing a knobby tire that Ed and Chuck are working on:
d70_6295q.jpg

Chuck in the picture? Who picked up my camera? :eek2:

Elzi (TexasShadow) watches intently while the front tire and wheel of her Whee-Strom are removed:
d70_6298q.jpg

A lesson in suspension as Judd (Kidder), Bill, and Graeme "hang" Elzi's 'Strom:
d70_6300q.jpg

Ed got plenty of work out of Celeste:
d70_6301q.jpg

d70_6304q.jpg

But I think she ate it up! :thumb:

What is a TWT event without Squeaky taking someone else's bike for a squiddly spin?
d70_6305q.jpg

And Rachel's TW200 gets some attention:
d70_6306q.jpg

(not sure about Rachel's fashion statement, but she stayed warm) ;-)

Time for the tube guys to use the Harbor Frieght (HF) tire changer:
d70_6307q.jpg

Our host, Bill (DFW_Warrior): :clap:
d70_6308q.jpg

Don (bandit33), Graeme, and Ed using the changer:
d70_6309q.jpg

The Houston contingent (James, Rebecca, Tom in back) look on:
d70_6310q.jpg

Again, thanks a bunch to Bill for making this an educational and enjoyable day despite the cold temperatures! :thumb:

Last edited:
Bill,

Thanks again for hosting this. It was very informative. You've definitely got the tire mounting down pat.

I do have to say that the highlight of my day was watching Celeste wrench with Ed. Ed did a great job showing her what to do and he was very patient. Celeste was willing to get right in there and help out. Great stuff.

Great gathering Bill. Thanks a million.

Rechargeable battery died in my "Christmas camera" so just some early random shots.............

Cheaper shot of the RuGLYDE. (no head shot, less commission)
IMG_0211.jpg

Handiest bead breaker in the herd.........
IMG_0205.jpg

Janet's FJR with Strom handguards...........
IMG_0220.jpg

The party outside...........
IMG_0215.jpg

Like moths to a flame..............
IMG_0213.jpg

The party inside.............
IMG_0222.jpg

In the far back corner, I believe that I see Captain Chuck of the Starship Energize!!! :mrgreen:
IMG_0223.jpg

Back