• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[DFW] Tire Changing 101 - Jan 24th

I took a better photo of the hose so when you get home, take a look. The end on mine look to be crimped.

Well... I don't know on that one. I think mine is a different model then that. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Well... I don't know on that one. I think mine is a different model then that. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

No problem, I went ahead and cut the end off, fitted it with the barbed fitting, put on a quick disconnect (so tire chuck swivels) and attached a tire chuck, works good.

Well done Scott. I think with everyone's belts being tightened, it is a good idea.

Um, guys, There's a really. Bad. Wobble in my front wheel. Like the wheel isn't tracking straight, or it warped, or something.

Yes, today is the first day I've ridden it since we changed the tire. It's rather difficult to wear a helmet when you can't breathe through your nose at all. I rode it today and it handled corners really bad. Was wondering what the heck was going on, then when going slow (25 mph on a park road), I felt the wobble, in the wheel and up through the handlebars. When cornering curves really slow it wobbles like crazy. I kept it at/below 60 on the way home. The wobble is also noticeable when slowing/accelerating from a stop and when braking. It handles like crap and now I'm not sure if I should even ride it.

Did we forget to replace a spacer or something? :ponder:

Help :eek2:

Um, guys, There's a really. Bad. Wobble in my front wheel. Like the wheel isn't tracking straight, or it warped, or something.

Did you ride the bike home the day it was changed? If you didn't feel anything then, I would suggest checking the tire pressure - that can give a very bad ride on the front.

Did you ride the bike home the day it was changed? If you didn't feel anything then, I would suggest checking the tire pressure - that can give a very bad ride on the front.
No, I didn't ride it home. Today is the first time I've ridden it since riding over there last Sat.

I just ran out and checked the tire pressure: 32. If I recall, it was pumped up to 39? I've ridden a low pressure tire on the Whee (~24 psi) and it didn't wobble as bad a this does.

I'll pump the tire up before I ride next time and see what happens.

No, I didn't ride it home. Today is the first time I've ridden it since riding over there last Sat.

OK, I am officially confused - you rode the bike over TO Bill's, but you didn't ride it back home? :scratch:

OK, I am officially confused - you rode the bike over TO Bill's, but you didn't ride it back home? :scratch:
Someone else rode it home for me. I have had a sinus infection for over two weeks, can't breathe except through my mouth, have intermittent fevers and the medications turn me into a walking zombie. In other words, I have not been able to ride since then (before then, actually). I almost slept the entire night last night and felt awake enough to go for a badly needed ride today, albeit with my face shield open. (I went to the Penitentiary ;) )

Does that dispel your confusion? :mrgreen:

Someone else rode it home for me.

Does that dispel your confusion? :mrgreen:

Ah. Well, did that "someone" say anything about the tire & or ride quality?

There is always the chance of a bad tire - Squidward had to have one swapped out recently because the bead would not seal.

Hmmm, strange. I don't think it's the tire since I had that on my Strom before switching to the Conti's and it rode like a typical Tourance. We did balance it didn't we? I'm sure we did.

And I don't think there are any spacers on the Whee. The axle acts as a spacer on the throttle side of the bike and on the clutch side, there is the speedo.

29psi is kinda low, but it shouldn't cause that.

Sounds like the tire may not be seated properly all the way around.

Sounds like the tire may not be seated properly all the way around.

Nah, it was on there. I know it was.

I'm thinking that something happened between the tire change day and yesterday. Something like air pressure or who knows what. If it was that bad and unstable on the night you rode it over to Ed's, then I'm sure you would have told me about it that night. At least I hope you would have told me about it.

I do know that on my Strom, when the rear tire pressure gets kinda low, the front starts to act really, really funny. It gets some pretty bad acceleration wobblies. But if I air the rear back up, all is better.

Nah, it was on there. I know it was.

I'm thinking that something happened between the tire change day and yesterday. Something like air pressure or who knows what. If it was that bad and unstable on the night you rode it over to Ed's, then I'm sure you would have told me about it that night. At least I hope you would have told me about it.
I can't vouch for being aware of anything that night. (I really shouldn't have been riding at all). The bike has sat covered until yesterday. I will double check pressure in both wheels before riding next time and see if anything changes.

Great, now what is the difference between this and No Mar?

Aired up both tires last weekend. Rear was low by 0.5 lb, front by nearly 10.5 lb. Rode it for ~40 something miles on highway and back roads, turns and curves and the wobble is still there, albeit more subtle. It's worse when turning. It almost feels like the wheel doesn't track right.

Now, one factor could be the rear tire. It has a flat ribbon several inches wide. So the test will be after I put the new rear tire on.

psi in the front tire was down 0.5 lbs after returning home on my ride. Haven't ridden yet again but I will this weekend. With this plugged sinus infection, I literally suffocate in my helmet unless riding it with face shield wide open. The $119 I spent on prescriptions today better take care of this (and that was my copay). :shock: I'd at least like a good night's sleep.

BTW, how's that popcorn? ;-)

Back