• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Trip Report] TWT Colorado Rally July 16th-23rd, 2005

Tourmeister said:
Casey, I will gladly accept all "Get Scott back on the road" donations ;-) Specifically, I could use your left shoulder :-P
Actually, right now you don't want either of my shoulders right now, I'm having some serious problems lately. My dad thinks I inherited his bone spurs (he had to have surgery on both shoulders). So, okay, I'll trade! :-P

Doh... I inherited a bit of that myself :roll: Dad had surgery on his a few years back as well...

Tourmeister said:
Hmmm... I don't recall saying it was cool? Nonetheless, I was not seriously injured so a pic was in order ;-) It's just a bike, not my life :lol:

PS-I want your Ohlins....Oh Yeah, good thing you didn't hurt!

GSRider said:
Tourmeister said:
Hmmm... I don't recall saying it was cool? Nonetheless, I was not seriously injured so a pic was in order ;-) It's just a bike, not my life :lol:

PS-I want your Ohlins....Oh Yeah, good thing you didn't hurt!

I'll take the 1.5 Jesse Bags. :twisted:

Ok, it seems I should post some pics of the Colorado trip. So here they are. They are but a few of the 300+ pictures, and not in order.

It was a very long night. So Scott decide to take a nap at breakfast.
Colorado20051.jpg

Will B. and Lauren
Colorado20052.jpg

Lauren atop Skyline drive overlooking Canon City.
Colorado20054.jpg

Jenny atop Skyline drive overlooking Canon City. I don't think her and Lauren enjoyed that road as much as Chris and I. :lol:
Colorado20055.jpg

Colorado20056.jpg

Colorado20057.jpg

Chis and Jenny. Wondering why I'm stopped to take more pictures.
Colorado20058.jpg

Colorado20059.jpg

I think we were suppose to be looking tough.
Colorado200510.jpg

Scott standing on his head
Colorado200511.jpg

Colorado200512.jpg

The scenery is just amazing. Pictures just don't come close.
Colorado200513.jpg

Colorado200514.jpg

Colorado200515.jpg

Sarah touching her first snow ball atop Engineer Pass.
Colorado200516.jpg

Colorado200517.jpg

Colorado200520.jpg

Colorado200521.jpg

Chris, Jenny, and Steve waiting for the rain to stop at Poker Alice, in Lake City.
Colorado200522.jpg

Alag and I at the top of Independance Pass.
Colorado200523.jpg

:chug:

I think we were suppose to be looking tough.
Colorado200510.jpg

In actuality, we look constipated... :oops: Must have been all the power bars and beef jerky... :-|

The GS is NOT being parted out :-P

I'll be getting a check from the insurance company soon and will be getting to work on replacing all the ground up parts. Not sure if I will be replacing the Jesse's or not. They will need some repair work done on them for sure if I don't replace them!

Adios,

:tab Okay, So I finally have a bit of time to get my pics up with some commentary. Hope I can remember everything, I did hit my head a wee bit hard on the ground :-?

:tab So the idea is to leave Friday night to maximize the time spent in the truck when Sarah should be sleeping... As they say, the best laid plans... well, you know the rest. We head out with everyone loaded up, Will and Lauren, aka Dower and Alag, Will "Birdwh", Beth, myself and seven month old Sarah.

The best way to cross West Texas ;-)
DSC03932.jpg

A little blasphemy to torment all those Beemer purists out there :lol:
DSC03933.jpg

Beth and Sarah before Sarah's first big trip!
DSC03936.jpg

:tab We stop off in Arlington to have dinner with Wasabi. He and Steve Strom will be heading out to join us tomorrow morning. About 10:30pm, we head West on I-20 towards Abilene. West Texas is a BIG and BORING place. Sarah doesn't sleep a wink but she's being pretty good so no biggie. To entertain ourselves, we set our minds to trying to figure out what the purpose is for all the blinking lights in the vast flatness. Sometime around midnight we stop in Amarillo because I am getting paged. Apparently the answering service has a hard time with the concept of me being out of town :pound: Sarah is still awake. With the answering service properly reminded NOT to page me for the next week, we continue West. 3:00am... Sarah is still awake :-| Tomorrow will be interesting...

:tab Somewhere in the wee hours, Dower takes over the driving so I can not sleep in the back seat. We're on track to reach Raton, NM., our destination by 9:00am, way too early to check in to the hotel. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, the sun starts to peek over the horizon, casting long fuzzy shadows across the barren landscape. Sarah has only been asleep for a short while, I have not slept at all. It turns out that all the blinking lights are the hubpoints of the big field irrigators that cirlce a center point. Still no clue why they have blinking lights on them :scratch

:tab We reach Raton around 8:30-9:00am. We stop by the hotel on the off chance they might have some empty rooms and be willing to let us check in extra early. No dice. They were booked full last night and are shorthanded on the cleaning staff so it will be around 3:00-4:00pm before they are ready for us. Doh!! I ask the nice lady at the desk what there might be to do in town to entertain ourselves until later... She just laughs that depressing knowing laugh, uh oh. "Nothing. However, there is a car show of sorts in the park today..." What else is there to do?

:tab Well, first we stop at a car wash. During Dower's driving stint, he managed to tag a skunk which promptly got kicked up and tossed into the trailer where it exploded all over the trailer... and my bike :puke: He swears it was an accident :-P There are chunks of the poor thing all over the underside of the trailer and on my left fork an cylinder head. I pressure spray it like crazy and the chunks are gone, but the smell is still there. I hope this is not a foreshadowing of things to come for the week :-|

:tab We find our way to the "Car Show". It is basically a small street corner city park with a gazeebo in the center. Folks are parking on the grass in the shade. In direct sunlight it is a bit toasty. In the shade, the cool DRY breeze is heavenly. Combine that with a bench and snow cone and life is good. Sarah gets her first taste of grape! She loves it, so much so that she wants to wear it :roll: Despite a serious lack of sleep last night, she seems quite happy and is enjoying being out among all the people. She is a serious people watcher.

:tab The car show is basically any ol car that people drive up in and park in the grass. There are some nice old classics here and there mixed in with the pimped out lowered chevy S-10 truck :lol: There are cars that just look like everyday run of the mill cars and perhaps the driver just thought the grass looked like a nice place to park. I've no clue if there is actually any kind of judging going on, and if so, what the criteria might be :shrug: After fifteen minutes of checking things out, we decide to wander up the street to a hole in the wall Honda dealership. It takes all of five minutes to check out the five new bikes in the shop and then we are bored. The lady at the hotel wasn't kidding when she said, "Nothing!" So we did the only thing we could do...

DSC03937.jpg

:tab Notice whose eye's are WIDE open... :roll:

Bored to death, we decide to head back to the hotel, unload the bikes and get a jump on the riding. Lauren, Beth and Sarah plan on going shopping.
DSC03939.jpg

:tab Myself and the two Will's decide to head West and check out the first part of the DS route for tomorrow. Of course, riding his Triumph Trophy 1200, Birdwh won't be going too far... We head west out of town and immediately get into the mountains. The road gets nice and twisty and we start climbing. My ears are popping as we clear 9000 feet. Man... I cannot describe how good it feels to be back out here on the bike!! I can't get enough of the crisp dry air, clear blue skies, fantastic roads and incredible scenery :dude: A puff of dust catches my attention and snaps me back to the moment as we crest a small rise to find the DS part of the ride starting rather abruptly and in the face of a large earth mover :shock:

:tab I brake HARD right up to the edge of the pavement, then relax and just ride it out into the loose dirt and gravel. I can hear the tires on Will's big Trophy chirping and squealing behind me... A quick mirror check shows him still upright with dust filling the air everywhere around us. We all come to a safe stop and Will decides it is time for him to head back and get busy scoping out a campsite at a local state park East of I-25. Will "Dower" and I decide to keep going and check out the dirt.

:tab We head a few miles back into the mountains, hoping to find a river and a road that cuts North through the mountains into Colorado. What we find is a huge mine. After a wrong turn and some map checking, we get on the right road and start having fun. Unfortunately, we soon come to a locked gate with big signs threatening to carry away our firstborn child if we tresspass. There is no fence really and a wide opening beside the gate... Shameful to say, we decide to just go check it out and play innocent if anyone stops us.

:tab A few miles back, the road is a blast! Tight turns and loose gravel seems the norm. The bike is sliding predictably and is holding it's track great. Then we see it... cabins, an office, and really expensive looking homes high upon the sides of the mountain. There is a fellow in what looks to be a company truck so I stop to chat with him. I ask if there is anyway for us to get permission to bring a small group through tomorrow if we promise to stay on the road. He very politely informs me that we should not even be back here unless we are invited guests of the ranch members, that there is no way in the world we will be allowed to bring a group through, and that we should turn around and head back the way we came.

:tab I thank him and we get turned around. He has already taken off so we are riding a ways back but still in his dust. I round a sharp corner and spot him sitting up ahead stopped and watching his rearview mirror to make sure we are coming, hehe. Satisfied that we really are leaving, he turns off on a small side road and we give him a wave as we go by. We cut around the gate again and decide to head back to the hotel to see if we can check in yet. When we arrive, we find that everyone else has arrived as well: Wasabi, Steve Strom, Dyna Sport, and Klaus & Diane.

DSC03940.jpg

Will "Birdwh" Bird unloads the Trophy 1200
DSC03941.jpg

DSC03942.jpg

:tab With everyone present, we decide to go get Mexican food in town. with all the cars in the parking lot, you'd think this is the best place in town. After eating there, I'm thinking it's more like it is the ONLY place in town... They would never stay in business here in Texas. Worn out and now full, thoughts of sleep are starting to could my mind. We head back to the hotel and call it a day. Sarah has been great all day and conks out pretty quick once we get back to the hotel room.

Sunday - The first day

:tab Well as luck would have it, yesterday, as they were coming in, Klaus and Diane ran over something in the road on their K1200LT. Whatever it was, it took a good chunk out of their rear tire and busted up the rear turn lights. With no replacement tire available, they decide to limp the bike back to where they have their truck, try to get the bike fixed, and then join us later in the week in Montrose. We get the street riders sorted out and on their way: Birdwh on the Trophy, Dower on his F650GS Dakar and Alag on her Suzuki GS500. Then the DS riders head out: Myself on the R1150GS, Dyna Sport on his KTM 625(?), Wasabi and Steve Strom, both on Strom 1000's. Beth and Sarah take the truck and head for Canon City where we will all meet this evening.

:tab With the preplanned DS route being impassable without risking being shot, we decide on an impromptu route over the Old Raton Pass to the North of town.

Looking South back towards town.
DSC03943.jpg

:tab This road is fun, tight, rutted, and climbs pretty fast. Just thinking about a day full of riding roads like this in such an incredible setting has me all giddy like a six year old turned loose in a candy store. About the time I start to really relax and get into a groove, we find this...

DSC03944.jpg

:tab Apparently, it has been closed for quite some time. Even if we could clear the boulder field and barbed wire, you can see in the pic above that the road no longer exists and is overgrown. We poke around a bit, check our maps, grumble and turn around. It looks like we have no choice but to slab it up I-25 at least as far as Trinidad before we can get on some fun roads. No point in wasting time fretting about it, so off we go. Dark clouds loom in the distance... hmmm... dirt and rain :-| :help:

:tab We head West out of Trinidad on Hwy 12, part of the street route. Not too far out of town, we head North on a little paved road. Fearing we might not hit any dirt I start to second guess my route planning abilities. Then we come around the corner and the pavement vanishes... Oh yeah!

DSC03945.jpg

:tab We run North on County Rd 31.9. The skies clear and rain becomes someone else's problem. It has obviously rained here recently because I am not tossing up my normal blinding cloud of dust for the guys behind me to enjoy ;-) Traction is great. The smell of the clean air is very noticeable in stark contrast to the thick damp air back home in the muggy Piney woods of East Texas. Right now, in this place and in this moment, LIFE IS GOOD! The ride quickly becomes one of those where all the moments blend into one, no longer am I thinking in terms of discrete thoughts, just a flow of action and a sense of the present. The irony of these moments of stepping out of time is that time goes by real fast and the moments are brief.

:tab We soon reach CR 42 and head back to the East for a while. The surface has become a coarser large gravel. It makes the font end of the bike wiggle and wander a bit. It is also kicking up a bit more dust and we get spaced out a little more so everyone can see. It's unaviodable and makes me worry because I can't keep track of the guys behind me. I make more frequent stops just to make sure no one has been lost.

Bill "Wasabi" Joye doing the Strom thing!
DSC03946.jpg

Steve "SteveStrom" Lentz enjoying his second day EVER riding off the pavement!!
DSC03947.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

DSC03949.jpg

:tab CR 42 runs back to the East and eventually hits CR 46. This cuts right back to the West and starts up into the San Isabel National Forest.

DSC03950.jpg

This turns out to be a really fun road. It is quite rocky, narrow and steep.
DSC03951.jpg

DSC03952.jpg

I find this along the side of the road a ways down into the woods
DSC03953.jpg

Near the top, we pass through the Apishapa Arch on the way to the Cordova Pass
DSC03954.jpg

We stop at the top for pics :mrgreen:

DSC03955.jpg

Rain... what rain?
DSC03956.jpg

:tab we head down off the pass and enjoy the descent down to the John B. Farley Memorial Wildflower Overlook. (someone merge these to make a pano, I suck at it!)

First shot on left
DSC03960.jpg

DSC03961.jpg

DSC03962.jpg

Last on right
DSC03963.jpg

:tab I pester some other tourists, grandparents with a bored grandkid :lol: Then we head for Cucharas Pass where the gravel ends and we dump back out onto Hwy 12. We stop up the road for lunch in Cuchara and who do we find relaxing out on the deck...?

Klaus and Diane, taking a slow ride back to La Veta where they left their truck
DSC03964.jpg

:tab We join them and visit while waiting for our food. They had just finished when we arrived. This spot is kind of touristy looking and has a few little restaurants, from a pizza place, a hoity toity pricey place to the Dog Bar, appropriately named because of the HUGE Lab that wanders from table to table looking as pathetic as a dog can look :lol:

DSC03965.jpg

:tab The wait staff is exceptionally cute, friendly and effecient. We get our food pretty quick. About the time we start to finish up, it starts to drizzle. Now where did all that blue sky get off to? :scratch Klaus and Diane are planning to head up to Denver to get the bike fixed. I try to talk them into coming to Canon City for the night. Their hotel room is already paid for and they can't cancel so late, so why not come out and at least get to see everyone and visit :shrug: They don't commit either way, we say our goodbyes, scratch the dog behind the ears and head out.

:tab Hwy 12 Runs North down out of the mountains along the Cuchara River, past huge towering lava dikes, until we reach La Veta where we stop for gas. We hop on a few little backroads and then get on US 160 and head West a few miles before picking up the Old La Veta Pass. This is just a nice short run through some woods on the old road that US 160 replaced. In a few spots, there are still patches of the old asphalt where you can see the faded double yellow, but for the most part it is loose red gravel.

DSC03966.jpg

Looking Southwest
DSC03967.jpg

Mt. Mestas back to the Northeast
DSC03968.jpg

:tab We get back on US 160 for a few minutes before heading due North on a bunch of gravel county roads. Things aren't real twisty now but that is cool because it lets us run a quicker pace. The GS is hooking up real good and feels great.

Somewhere between US 160 and Hwy 69
DSC03969.jpg

John's KTM 640
DSC03970.jpg

Da Pig
DSC03971.jpg

The School House of Rock! For sale too. Notice the nice new roof ;-)
DSC03972.jpg

DSC03973.jpg

Bill wayyy back there...
DSC03975.jpg

Bill coming up on Steve
DSC03976.jpg

And passing him
DSC03977.jpg

I've no clue what Steve is doing :scratch Here's John putting along as usual...
DSC03978.jpg

:tab We pop out on Hwy 69 near Gardner and head West a short bit to pick up CR 634 and continue North. The sky is looking grey and ominous. There are some heavy showers visible in the distance, some the direction we are heading... So far nothing but a few drizzles for us, but I have to wonder if the street riders are getting so lucky? CR 634 starts out rather straight and dull but soon starts getting twisty! We climb and climb, getting up to almost 11,000 feet. So far the thin air has not affected me, but I have not been straining either.

:tab The down side of the ride is pretty steep in places. As I approach a left hander after a decent straight, my brain screams that I am carrying too much speed and I start dragging the back brake, locking it mildly on and off. I'm up on the front of the bike as much as I can be riding the front brake. I just don't feel like I am slowing enough... the front locks and I start modulating the lever, locking and unlocking... over and over... The trees are coming up quick. I am telling myself to look into the corner but every time I take my eyes off the straight path, the bike starts sliding funny. Quite a dilemma! In all probability, the bike could have easily made the corner in the hands of someone more skilled. Instead, I came to a stop a few feet off the dge of the road, with a lot of little branches from a sapling poking me in the face. In my annoyance with the branches, I stop paying attention to my balance and before I know it, the bike just lays over to the right. I eject and let it go, laughing at my stupidity. Thank goodness this was not one of the many corners we have been seeing all day that have sheer drops instead of nice run offs ;-) I get the bike upright, refired and underway. We soon reach Hwy 165 and turn South.

A pretty an not so steep section of our descent
DSC03979.jpg

DSC03980.jpg

DSC03981.jpg

DSC03982.jpg

:tab We head down 165 a short bit and then cut East on 78 which soon becomes gravel. This is a great road that descends down into the tiny town of Beulah, a town that no doubt once bustled with activity but now clings to life in the fading glory of days past. We head up North creek Rd following a small valley until the road cuts West again and starts a steep climb back up to Hwy 165 a few miles North of where we came out the first time. Yes, we are going in cirlces and it is a blast :dude:

:tab For the street riders, Hwy 165 between Hwy 96 and Colorado City (just shy of I-25), is a fantastic ride. Locally, the road is known as the Greenhorn Highway. This whole area is part of the San Isabel National Forest so there are parks, trails, and camping areas everywhere. The downside to that on the paved areas is a little more traffic, but on the dirt roads we have pretty much have the place to ourselves and it is wonderful! It is getting late int he day and we have one more section of dirt to ride. So we head North on 165 to 96 to find our next turn off.

:tab Now one of the things that makes trip planning a hassle is wanting to explore new roads. I don't have enough time to do exploratory trips on my own and then another trip where I bring folks with me. So I have to make educated guesses about whether some roads are open to the public, do the exist at all, and do they go all the way through without dead ending. This is a real challenge because a LOT of time and gas can be wasted in backtracking. I consult as many maps as I can find, I look for a local name for roads in questions and search the net for references to these roads... and yet... there are those times...

:tab The plan is to cut North on some little backroads, cutting up into some more National Forest areas, then following a creek down out of the mountains coming out just South of Canon City. Once again we are turned back by No Trespassing signs. "Private Property, Dead End, No Trespassing!" Yet the maps show this as a public county road... :-| I have recently read reports by other people riding in Colorado about locals erecting such signs to dicourage people from coming down the roads even though the signs were not legit. But how to know a legit sign from a nonlegit sign :scratch It is getting late in the afternoon and the weather is still looking iffy, so we decide to just hit the highway and make best time for the hotel in Canon City. Still... I hate leaving behind an unexplored road.

:tab So we head back to the East on Hwy 96. As we pass the turn off for Hwy 165, we enter Rattlesnake Gulch. I don't know if it got that name because of unfriendly inhabitants of the slithering type, or because the road slithers and twists like a serpent for a few sinful miles! The massive rock walls on either side of the road rise sharply up into the dull grey sky, framing the curves like giant guardrails, ones that you would not want to hit! As we descend, the gulch opens up and a relatively flat plain lies before us, dry and barren. We follow 96 up to Hwy 67 and continue North to US 50. then we head West into Canon City to find the hotel and meet up with everyone else for dinner. Klaus and Diane have decided to join us!

:tab Dinner is had at Pizza Madness, a local place with great brew and delicious pizza!!

Sarah gets her first taste of Lemon... and likes it!!
DSC03984.jpg

DSC03985.jpg

DSC03986.jpg

We can't get it away from her and she gums it to a pulp
DSC03987.jpg

We can't get this pizza away from Steve and he finishes all but a few pieces :brainsnap
DSC03988.jpg

Alag wondering what in the world Dower is talking about :scratch
DSC03989.jpg

Dyna Sport and Birdwh sampling a bit of the local brew
DSC03990.jpg

:tab Stuffed with cheese and beer, we waddle our way back to the hotel, a painfully long walk. However, it does feel good to get the legs moving after a day on the bikes. Sleep comes on easily and all I dream of are curves, curves and more curves... and not of the feminine kind ;-)

Last edited:
Geez, this is going to take forever... :-|

Okay, so here we go...

Monday, July 18th

:tab I roll out and take a peek outside... beautiful!! The air is so clear here that it still amazes me every day. Everyone is busy mulling around getting their gear together, sticking their extra junk in the back of the truck, and eating breakfast bars. Dower is going to run with the street group again today. Last night, WCzimmerman and Blazin'Mama, Chris and Jenny, arrived and will be joining the street group. Birdwh is heading North to get something taken care of with his windscreen at the manufacturer which happens to be close by. Klaus and Diane are headed to Denver to attempt to get his bike fixed up and hopefully rejoin us in Montrose to finish the week of riding. The rest of us are doing the dirt thing again today :mrgreen:

:tab Everyone heads out around 9:00am in different directions. Just out of town off of US 50 is Skyline Dr. This is a one way "road" about as wide as a big sidewalk, no guardrails, and steep drop offs! It climbs up onto a very narrow ridgeline that forms a wall on the West side of town. It overlooks the mother of all motocross tracks!! The track runs along the bottom of the ridgeline all the way around the edge of town and has some incredible jumps, climbs and whoops. If only I had a real dirtbike :-P We head on down, back through town and then start West on US 50. The street riders are going to check out the Royal Gorge Bridge and park. We are headed up to explore some roads North of US 50, hopefully all dirt!

:tab We run up Hwy 9 a few miles. This looks like it would be a nice street ride all the way up. Will Bird came this way earlier on his way to get his windscreen checked. I'll see what he thinks of it later. We turn West on CR 2 and follow the road along Cottonwood Creek. There are massive mountains on the horizon and we seem to be down in the rolling hills in between. What appear to be pines cover the hillsides. I just cannot get the thought out of my mind about how cool it would be to live out here and have the time to do some proper exploring!

A sample of the misery we have to endure...
DSC03991.jpg

While we are standing around, a local drives up and she insists on taking some pictures for us, hehe. Nice lady!
DSC03993.jpg

Miles and miles of this... I can hardly take anymore...
DSC03994.jpg

:tab Soon the tree covered hills give way to rolling plains. The ground is covered with a dry tan colored grass that gives the landscape a smooth painted look, only broken by the occasional big rock poking out of the ground. The scene is just so expansive that I have to stop and just soak it in for a few minutes.

Steve taking it all in
DSC03995.jpg

Feel like doing some DS riding yet?
DSC03996.jpg

Look closely and you'll see the road winding off in the middle of the pic into the hills, it is a blast!
DSC03997.jpg

And this is where it winds up
DSC03998.jpg

:tab The road is smooth, wide and has a predictable surface. Most of the curves have opened up into highspeed sweepers. We have to space out pretty far to keep the dust from becoming a problem. Blasting along, I spot some incredible ranch homes situated up on the sides of the mountains overlooking the valley. We're talking homes you see on those shows your wife or girlfirend watches all the time on the Home & Garden channel :lol: Big Bucks! Most of the area we are running in is at 9000 feet or higher and it is nice and cool, almost too cool.

:tab We continue Northwesterly until we reach US 24 just East of Buena Vista. It is about 11:30am so I figure now is as good a time as any to find lunch. We cruise down the main drag to see what the town has to offer. It is much more crowded now than what I am used to when we normally come in early to mid June. We soon find what looks to be an interesting Mexican food place and chow down. We're on schedule to hook up with Mark McQuire, a fellow TWT member that happens to also live in Crested Butte. After a great lunch, we head West on Hwy 306 which eventually reaches Cottonwood Pass, paved all the way up :-?

The weather sucks, we should have stayed home...
DSC04000.jpg

DSC04001.jpg

DSC04002.jpg

Yes, that is snow in the foreground!
DSC04004.jpg

Looking back down the paved side to the East
DSC04005.jpg

Steve taking it all in
DSC04007.jpg

Wasabi, Steve Strom, Tourmeister and Dyna Sport at 12,126 feet
DSC04009.jpg

The unpaved side looking down to the West :dude:
DSC04010.jpg

Look!! A cloud!! :shock:
DSC04011.jpg

:tab Scandalous!

:tab Somewhere in one of those curves pictured above, Bill's chain guard decides to come apart. Not being aware of this, I keep on trucking down the hill, totally in a groove and having the time of my life. I round a corner and spot this KTM 950 blasting up the hill towards me. Gotta be Mark! We slide to a halt next to each other and exhange greetings. Then Dyna Sport slides up behind me to tell me about Wasabi's bike :roll: Sounds like a perfect excuse to turn around and head right back up :twisted: We find him sitting on the roadside and start getting out tools. Eventually he gets it under control and we are on our way back down, Mark leading the way now.

:tab We stop at Taylor Reservoir to wait for everyone and to decide where to go next. Mark plans to show us his stomping grounds. He grew up out here riding dirtbikes... some guys get all the luck :lol:

Mark and the Nine-Fiddy
DSC04012.jpg

:tab After a little chit chatting, we decide to head around the back side of that mountain in the background of the pic above. Mark tells us that it is just your ordinary gravel road, no biggie. So off we go! Scarcely a mile or two later we are climbing up the side of the mountain and pass the road grader coming down... I can't tell you how often this happens to me on out of state DS rides... :lol: No sooner than we pass him, the road becomes a bed of deep soft dry dirt. It just swallows the front tire tread and makes the front end of the bike want to wash out from under me. Mark seems completely unaffected and glides through the corners with seeming effortlessness and grace. I alternate between sliding out the rear and washing out the front, a delicate ballet of gravity and power with the grace of a charging rhino in a tutu. To say it is dusty would be a grave understatement. Think of it more as a dry fog... Eventually, Mark finds a good place to pull over and we wait for the others to catch up.

Looking back the way we just came
DSC04013.jpg

They way we're headed
DSC04014.jpg

:tab While waiting, we hear a distant braap braapp braaappp!! At first, we think it is our guys coming, but as it draws nearer it becomes a screaming flat tracking dirtbike at the head of a dust cloud that trails like the plume of some cosmic comet hurtling through the heavens. This guy is booking and rounds the corner coming straight at us. :shock: We are parked at a Y in the road and I see that moment of indecision where the rider isn't sure which way to go. So like all good navigators, he slams on the brakes and comes skidding to a halt, almost going off into a rock filled ditch between the fork in the road! Then off he goes in a swirling cloud. Moments later, we hear more of the same and see that same look as the trailing riders head straight for us. We wave them in the right direction and they are right back on the gas!! The funny thing is that you might expect it to have been a bunch of kids but the riders all looked to be at least in their late 30's or early 40's. I guess some guys never grow up... Our guys finally show up. It turns out that Steve dropped the Strom in the soft stuff. No damage to the bike really so we are soon on the move again.

:tab We are soon running down the road alongside of Spring Creek, in a steep walled narrow gorge. It is beautiful.

This is one of the wider spots ;-)
DSC04015.jpg

DSC04016.jpg

Bill "Wasabi" Joye
DSC04017.jpg

Steve "SteveStrom" Lentz
DSC04018.jpg

:tab The run down out of the gorge is awesome. It is just one of those rides you have to experience for yourself to truly appreciate. Spring Creek feeds into the Taylor River and then the road runs down to Almont on Hwy 135 just North of Gunnison a ways. We stop for a moment and Mark checks with me to make sure everyone is up for doing a dirt road :scratch Well, that is what we have been doing all day so I don't see why it should be much of an issue now :shrug: That he stopped and asked me this anyway should have set off alarms in my head but I am still buzzing from the last hour of riding :mrgreen:

:tab So off we go, through what looks like a trailer park or something to the back where it looks like the road dead ends. It is here that I see Mark turn around the backside of a tree on what looks like a path and start up the side of the mountain... There are times when you know things are about to get interesting and caution might be the order of the moment, and there are times when you are delerious and throw caution to the wind. As soon as I round the tree and look up, I realize I have just committed to the latter.

:tab To call this piece of dirt a road is a stretch of the imagination. It is about as wide as your average ATV, deeply rutted, has huge rocks sticking up out of the ground, has big erosion whoops crossing perpendicular to the path with huge deep potholes on the backside, major tight switchbacks and is freaking steep!! Mark is already shooting up the mountainside like a big horn on steroids :lol: I can harldy keep an eye on him to know where I should be going and still pay attention to the "road".

:tab The big GS is groaning under the load, the clutch slipping, engine revving, suspension squishing on the down side of the whoops, and giving me everything it has. The switchbacks are terrifying. They are so tight the bike can't make the turn at full lock!! I can't stop because I'll lose my momentum, fall over and never get started up hill again! I keep the eyes up, pin the throttle and hope for the best. The backend breaks loose and slides around, hitting the berm on the side of the track and then hooks up again propelling me over the next whoop. I know I have only been at it for a mere minute or two, but already I am getting arm pump and it seems like it has been an eternity. I finally reach the top and find Mark with a huge grin on his face. I have to admit that I am somewhat giddy myself, hehe. I grab the camera and try to get some shots of the others coming up.

Bill just reaching the top after the last switchback
DSC04019.jpg

In the foreground you can barely see the road running along the edge of the drop off. The background is quite a ways back and a long way down...
DSC04020.jpg

:tab As usual, the camera doesn't capture the essence of my wild embellishment :roll:

Steve methodically working his way up, and remember, this is only his third day ever riding offroad. He must be thinking we are crazy about now :lol:
DSC04021.jpg

A thumbs up from Dyna Sport at the top!
DSC04022.jpg

Dyna Sport goofing around for the camera
DSC04023.jpg

A little better look down the way we came from
DSC04024.jpg

The smoothest and widest section, near the top
DSC04025.jpg

:tab All I can think having made it to the top is, "Thank God we were going up on that road instead of down!!" Thinking the worst is over, we mount up and get to riding again... I guess "worst" is one of those relative terms. On a light dirt bike with long suspension travel, the next stretch of road would be a breeze. On the GS with it's short travel and somewhat stiff suspension, it is a brutal beating. At times I fear things are going to start falling off the bike.

The rocks are bigger and sharper than they look, trust me ;-)
DSC04026.jpg

"What? It's only a dirt road..."
DSC04027.jpg

:tab "But look at the ruts!! It has huge, nasty, deep ruts..."

:tab We reach a relatively smooth and flat area and I have to stop for a break. John "Dyna Sport" has already stopped to wait for us "heavies". I pull up next to him and proceed to lose my balance. I'm yelling at him to grab me and he's working on getting his right foot firmly planted. For a few tense moments all that is heard is grunting and heavy breathing... We nearly wound up with the both of us pinned under the weight of the big pig :roll: Lesson learned, stop behind the other guy, not next to him, hehe.

Bill's Strom taking a break
DSC04028.jpg

The little dusty dot way back up there on the left is Steve... We were starting to get worried.
DSC04029.jpg

:tab No problems, he had to give back to nature :-P

Here he is now, even standing up showing good form!
DSC04030.jpg

It is awesome up here... Have I said that yet?
DSC04032.jpg

:tab I haven't seen Mark since we reached the top of the ridge. I have to admit, he makes that big 950 look reallll enticing! He ran over this stuff like it was smooth pavement :roll: No doubt, all those years of riding around here as a kid has something to do with that. I finally find him resting in the shade of some Aspen trees.

DSC04033.jpg

Steve wondering what he's gotten himself into :lol: But he seems to be having a good time!
DSC04034.jpg

:tab After a good long break, everyone has gotten their second wind and we are ready to head down the mountain towards Gunnison. The road runs along the ridge in the shadows of the Aspen a few more miles and then starts down. I fall in behind Mark and watch his riding style. He's smooth. I know that is the key, and on the street I can do it fine, but this dirt thing... I know it's just a matter of experience, time and trusting the machine to do it's thing. I soon find myself slipping into that zone we so often hear about when riding. I stop over analyzing everything and just ride. Soon I am very relaxed, riding smoothly and quicker than usual without all the fear reactions. My vision widens beyond the dirt in front of me and I can take in the incredible landscape. All too soon we reach the highway and the magic fades. We head into Gunnison to gas up. Mark has to get on home and we need to get serious about heading over to Montrose before it gets too late. We thank him for a spectacular ride and part ways.

:tab We're done with the dirt for the day. We hop on US 50 and make the run West to Montrose. It is a great ride. The sun is getting low on the horizon, casting long shadows and creating a warm glow to everything. Most of the ride on 50 is fast sweepers and it gives me a chance to reflect on the riding of the last few hours. Just thinking about it makes the adrenalin start to pump again, hehe. It is a good feeling to have pushed myself and the GS and to have done so well. Sure other people might have done it and thought it was no big deal, good for them ;-)

:tab We finally roll into town and reach the hotel. Everyone else has already arrived, including Will Bird. The street riders are all excited about their day of riding as well, cool! We all head to dinner to share our stories and then back to the hotel to hang out to wait for the buzz from the day to wear off so we can sleep. When sleep finally does arrive, it is riddled with images of steep dirt hills, huge rocks, sheer drops and beautiful rivers. There may have been something somewhere in there about me tooling around on a big orange and blue dirt bike... 8-)

Wow. I'm going to have to spend some time there before I give up the DS, maybe a summer trip is in order...

Did you get GPS tracks for that "dirt road"?

Howdy,

Tuesday, July 19th.

:tab When we come out of our room and start loading up our bikes, we find two GS's parked in the lot and loaded down like pack mules. These guys are exploring the back roads on their way somewhere East. They've just come through much of Utah.

Arden from San Jose, a BMW Master Mecahnic at BMW San Jose.
DSC04036.jpg

Will and Steve getting the bikes ready for riding.
DSC04037.jpg

Something Toad from Montanna? :scratch
DSC04038.jpg

:tab Arden and Toad are nice guys and serious about their riding :dude: We bid them farewell and they motor off to their own adventures. Today, Beth, Lauren and Sarah are going to be joining us for the dualsport ride in a rented Jeep Wrangler. That's it behind Arden in the picture above. We start out the route heading West on US 90. It is another beautiful blue sky day with cool dry air. It should be interesting to see how Sarah does spending the day bouncing around in the back of a Jeep.

:tab We wander a few backroads getting out of town before 90 heads out towards the Southern end of the Uncompaghre Plateau. The terrain is reminescient of Central Texas. Most of the trees are only about 15-20 feet high, the ground is rough and rocky, very dry and dusty, and flat for now. We pass a few driveways leading back into the scrub but see very few homes. It is not long before the road becomes gravel and we enter into the National Forest. Now the road starts getting twisty and changes elevation between corners, making it good fun! Beth has never done any offroad driving so I am a bit concerned about her handling any slides in the loose stuff. However, wheneve we pull over and she catches up, she seems quite happy. We do stop and get the Jeep in 4WD mode though which makes her more comfortable. We clear the National Forests and the road drops back down out of the foothills to Hwy 62.

:tab We head East on 62 looking for the start of County Rd 58 and head South into the San Juan Mountains. We start out low on the steppes of the mountains and slowly start climbing and then dropping, climbing again, and then dropping again.

Looking Southwest
DSC04039.jpg

Looking back to the Southeast towards Ouray
DSC04040.jpg

The ladies
DSC04041.jpg

:tab We continue South and soon reach the final drop down into the San Miguel River Valley at Hwy 145. The last mile or so is quite steep!

Dyna Sport heading down

DSC04042.jpg

Looking down into the valley below, that is the road in the middle of the pic
DSC04043.jpg

Wasabi down below getting setup to take some pics of us coming down
DSC04044.jpg

Dower coming around the corner on his Dakar 650
DSC04045.jpg

Beth doing it up in the Jeep
DSC04046.jpg

:tab When we reach the bottom, the smell of hot brake pads fills the air. We turn and head North on Hwy 145 to our next gravel road, Fall Creek Rd, also known as CR 57p. It is a shady cool ride up through the creek ravine. The trees tower overhead. The road runs right along the edge of the creek. The sunlight glistens off the water as it cascades down off the mountain running over rocks and fallen logs. The ravine walls rise steeply on both sides of us as we wind up higher and higher. When we reach the end of the ravine, the road starts climbing steeply through numerous switchbacks. It has changed from packed gravel to loose dirt with large rocks that kick the tires around. We level out for a bit at just over 10000 feet and decide to stop for a break to take in the view.

Little Cone Mountain in the background, almost 12K feet.
DSC04047.jpg

Note the dust on the trees, it is very dry and dusty!!
DSC04048.jpg

DSC04049.jpg

Beauty abounds!
DSC04050.jpg

:tab After a good rest, we head on around the mountain generally working our way to the Southwest. We come up on some sections of road that are pretty rough. There are huge erosion dips and ruts nearly a foot deep in places that we have to cross. It's not bad on the bike if I slow and just pick my way through, but it has to be quite the jostling experience in the Jeep! The road then becomes just hard packed dirt and runs through Aspens. Apparently, the last time it rained pretty good, there were quite a few people up here when the road was still muddy. Now there are numerous ruts criss-crossing along the length of the road. The GS wants to track in them and I have to be careful to to keep from getting stuck in one. This goes on for some time and I am starting to relax a little. Well, we all know what happens when you relax...

:tab One instant I am thinking to myself that things aren't so bad, I'm coming out of a corner and looking towards the next one, getting on the gas and then it happens... The front tire drops into a rut. I try to get on the gas to get the tire up out of the rut but I am running out of room with the next corner approaching fast. The next instant, the side of the tire starts trying to ride up out of the rut and the handle bars are yanked right out of my hands :eek: The next thing I recall is laying on my left side and seeing wheels up in the air just behind me in the corner of my vision, still moving towards me!! Fearing the bike might land on me I start scrambling away from it. Then it just stops... totally upside down and resting on the bars and luggage :brainsnap

:tab I am still sitting on the ground somewhat dazed when Will comes up on his bike, "Dude!! Are you okay?!" as his hand reaches into his bag to grab his camera :lol: "Sure, help me turn off the bike!" Yes, that's right, my bike it totally belly up and the engine is still running :help: We manage to get an arm under the bike and kill the ignition, but not without both of us burning the knees on our riding pants :roll: Doh!! I JUST bought these right before the trip, to replace the pair I bought for the trip but had burned out the same knee a week before the trip while riding Bagwell's WR400 here in the National Forests outside Huntsville :suicide:

They say the adventure begins when things stop going as planned...
P1010536.jpg

Here's a shot looking back down the rut
DSC04051.jpg

:tab Doesn't look so bad after the fact :roll:

:tab With a little help, I get the GS righted and on its' stand. The damage is just a broken left mirror... and a slightly used GPS :tears:

It still makes pathetic beeping sounds when I hit buttons :lol:
DSC04053.jpg

:tab I wonder if Touratech makes crash cages for GPS's??

:tab The bike fires up on the first try. I'm fine despite landing pretty hard on my left side. The good thing is that I was not going real fast when the bike finally chucked me off. Now that I no longer have a working GPS, Dyna Sport is elected to lead the way with his... and off he goes!! It doesn't take long before we reach an intersection and he is no where to be seen. I guess I forgot to remind him to wait for everyone else to catch up at the intersections :lol: He comes back for us though and after only a few more wrong turns, we are headed the right way.

At this point we think a small dust cloud over on the mountains in the distance might be Dyna Sport :shock:
DSC04054.jpg

:tab To say he is having fun would be a slight understatement :-P

The view looking Southeast from about 10600 feet
DSC04055.jpg

Will heads down that little path just beyond his bike right after taking this shot...
DSC04056.jpg

:tab It comes out down below on one of the main switchbacks

:tab The road starts winding down into some little creek valleys. We have worked our way completely around to the South side of Delores, Dunn and Middle Peaks, and soon reach the West Delores River. We head Northeast along the river. At Meadow Creek we Head East on Dunton Rd and climb up over a wide pass. The views are spectacular. It must have really been something to live out here a few hundred years ago. No roads. No GPS. No phones. Just you, the mountains and some wildlife. Hard to imagine life without toilet paper...

[gotta take a break]

Last edited:
:rofl:

Yeah we still have some Pop Sci and Pop Mech in the bathroom here at the office from back in 97!!

:tab The problem is that when I write these reports, I like to have several hours of uninterrupted time, a rare thing... It is hard for me to write a little, go away, come back and write a little more, and so on. I just don't change gears that easily and have to be in the groove for writing. I can do regular posts no problem because they require little thought and only a few minutes to do. This report has been nagging at me though so I will probably finish it eventually ;-)

Looks like fun. Was the twisty on the way up Cottonwood Pass out of Crested Butte? Sure looks like it. If not, where was it?

Ron T

Which twisty Ron? There were a whole LOT of them ;-)

Back