• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Faulty equipment?!?

Reaction score
So, I got hit for a speeding ticket AGAIN,,, by the same trooper as last year…and low and behold at the EXACT same mph…here’s the rub.. and I need opinions on this too because it seems a bit fishy to me…

I was out in Stephens county Saturday.. I was coming up a small hill and met another truck that was coming down.. he flashed lights so I knew the old geezer that patrols this area was close.. I looked at my spedo and my GPS,,, both indicated 72mph… So I came to the crest of the hill and saw him WAY off on the straight ahead…I maintained my speed (watching BOTH spedo and gps) and maintained my course… I get a couple of hundred feet away from him and he hits his lights and motions out of his window to pull over. So I did….he came up with the very same spill as last time.. ma’am I am pulling you over for speeding, my radar said you were going 79mph… I said WHAT 79?? My truck AND gps said I was going 72…(AND I WAS!!).. he said that ALL of my equipment was faulty and that I should probably have my truck checked out from a dealership to see how inaccurate it was. When I asked him about my GPS system he looked at me like a cow looking at a new gate and said “Don’t know too much bout them machines) and moved on to sign here and call this # and bla bla bla…
My question is HOW can my truck gauge AND my gps be wrong???
My next question is HOW far do those radars shoot out to track people??
Now,, after we were yabbing for a few he said “Well ma’am 72 is still speeding” and I said well, yea but there are several times that I have passed you guys going along with traffic at 7-73 or 74mph without getting pulled over,,, and he said “I’ll pull you over for going 1 mile over the speed limit.. and my very next thought was… guess who is NOT donating to the TSTA next year as I usually do…

See,, when I have done something wrong I will be the first to admit it,, pay my fine, take my consequences with the best,, however, I am sure that this is correct. I know that 2miles over the limit is still speeding (this I will not argue) however, my questions is how can all of my machines read the same mph and his read 7 miles off and it be the same exact amount as when he pulled me over a year ago….:ponder:
Thoughts?? Ideas???

I am surprised that your truck and GPS read the same. Usually my truck is 'optimistic' in its speed indication.

I would comment that the trooper in question is one that gives our law enforcement professionals a bad rep. He is right up there with a certain officer that wrote me for 51 in a 40 when the GPS on the bike said 33.

For your technical question: The radar is basically line of sight on reading your speed. If you can see him he has your speed measured. It will lock on the biggest, or fastest target in its field of view.

I have no advice on the disposition of your ticket though.

I would go to court and fight it. If he is going to be a jerk about it, make him earn it. Make him prove your speed. State your case. If you just pay it, he wins without a fight.

If you lose in the end at least you dragged him into court.

I am not fussing about getting popped over speeding,, I simply wonder about how much of a difference in the tracking is...I mean really it is kind of startling that there is a 0 mph difference on my truck and gps and a 7 mph difference on the radar...I am just to sure that is normal or acceptable... I will pay my fine,, speeding is speeding,, still I wonder if 7mph difference is ok, how many people get popped and were really not speeding...I mean really is there some little thing going on with the popo's that they have the upper hand in being right over this and the rest of the non-star carrying folks are screwed because they do not have a radar,, or a shiny badge to back up their facts???

I am not making digs at the law here,, I am skeptical of things such as this and as I have already said.. I was speeding and from 71-79 the fee is the same..My worry is the equipment being so far apart on the numbers...I wonder if this guy is bored and has a default 79mph speech... I know one cop can't speak for ALL cops (that would be questionable)... my curiosity is based on equipment numbers and the large gaps between them...

One of my questions was answered about the reach those radars have,, and I am not sure if I can even get an answer on the numerical differences so thanks for the info on the one guys!!

Do some research into the accuracy of radar/lidar. You will find there are many variables that can affect the final reading. Was this officer trained in its use? Was the device calibrated? When? At what angle did he get the reading? I was playing with a radar gun at a training class recently. It isn't as easy as it looks.

I wonder if any of our officers have leeway to radar you and compare your readings with theirs. If your stuff is off you sure do want to know.

Hmmmm, I've yet to see a GPS that wasn't pretty darn accurate. Granted, I haven't played with a ton of them, but the ones I have played with were spot on. I was strictly measuring my distance covered, at a certain speed, in a certain time, and the GPS was always right there.

And Ed, I usually thought the same way about speedos as well. Mine have all read optimistic until I bought my Dodge. That thing is within 1/2mph of the GPS at 70mph. Its the first vehicle that I've ever owned that was close to accurate with the speedo.

Does your GPS record "trails"? Each dot on a trail stores location, speed, date and time. May be useful if you hire an attorney and take it to court.

I am surprised that your truck and GPS read the same. Usually my truck is 'optimistic' in its speed indication.

Mine have all read optimistic until I bought my Dodge. That thing is within 1/2mph of the GPS at 70mph. Its the first vehicle that I've ever owned that was close to accurate with the speedo.

The wife's Honda Accord is pretty much spot on whenever I use the Garmin Etrex in it. The motorcycles are all +7 to +10% high.

Does your GPS record "trails"? Each dot on a trail stores location, speed, date and time. May be useful if you hire an attorney and take it to court.

I agree with ItchyBob... Download the tracking points on your GPS, look at the "dots" and they will give you the date, time, speed, and location...

Print it out and take it to court....

Isn't there a requirement that police radar be certified for accuracy on a regular basis? If it is not certified, I was under the impression that the accuracy was questionable. By the way, my Ford truck speedo reads just the same as my GPS. My Suzuki is 10% optimistic.

Pat McDonald

18 years being the po-lice. Take it for what it's worth.

Radar is technically line of sight, only because you have to visually confirm the violation. I have yet to see one that actually is. Terrain, traffic etc limits range.

Variance in a properly operating unit is + or - 2 mph.

No state requirement to certify a unit every year. Most courts want at least every 2 years though or when the unit is serviced.

Civilian GPS units are not foolproof and not exact. This evidence would not be allowed.

Vehicle speedometers, from the factory, can be wrong up to 5%. Motorcycles are worse.

If 71-79 is the same fine weigh your options and how much you're willing to spend to fight it. Ask for deferred or some other type of probation. Take a DDC class.

"Take him to court" usually means he gets OT for court appearance. Mine guarantees at least 2hrs no matter what. That's an extra $100 and change in my pocket. I could care less who "wins"...

All Troopers get basic radar instruction in the academy. That's all you need---and know how to turn it on.

Finally, if he's writing for 9 over, unless there are extraordinry circumstances, I would be asking his supervisor why. Everyone has a boss.

That sounds like good advice all around, and good information to know. Thanks. Perhaps a polite conversation with the supervisor would help define the path forward.

My only deal about the gps telling a different speed would be the type of gps unit. I have two gps units (a garmin etrex i used for class and a tomtom one) and the tomtom always read me going at least 2-3 miles faster than what the garmin does.

Do some research into the accuracy of radar/lidar. You will find there are many variables that can affect the final reading. Was this officer trained in its use? Was the device calibrated? When? At what angle did he get the reading? I was playing with a radar gun at a training class recently. It isn't as easy as it looks.

A good traffic attorney will ask those very things. Of course, a good trooper will have true and precise answers for these questions.

It really is strange that your GPS and speedometer read the same so maybe there is something wrong. Cycles are off from 7-10% and vehicles are off less but usually still off. My Burgman is 10%off.

Fight it and maybe you'll win. Watch a couple episodes of Speeders in court before so you have an idea how NOT to act.

I would take defensive driving course and let my temperature drop. Then write a letter with a picture of you and your bike.

The letter would basically say you believe in fairness and honesty and you have received two tickets in their area and you are convinced that both are inaccurate.
Therefore, you have paid your fines and will no longer frequent their area and spend your entertainment dollars at their businesses. The picture is for them to remember one that they will never see again.

I'd pay the fine but I'd not be happy about it.
If the same guy writes a ticket in the same location for the same speed, I'm inclined to believe he's lying. And I'd take 10-95's advice: I'd ask his supervisor.

If you are going to go to the trouble to get an attorney get one that specializes in motorcycle tickets.

I read one article (can't find it now) that said because motorcycles have so little metal to reflect from police radar can pick up the speed of the rotating front wheel and give a very inaccurate reading.

If you are going to go to the trouble to get an attorney get one that specializes in motorcycle tickets.

I read one article (can't find it now) that said because motorcycles have so little metal to reflect from police radar can pick up the speed of the rotating front wheel and give a very inaccurate reading.

I was not on my bike, I ws in my truck,... I will do the DD to get by, it is no trouble (do it once a year) for this exact reason... My worry is that I think he is fibbing about the whole event.. sticky subject to call into a small town DPS office full of a bunch of Bubba's and say that the old man is wrong...Still, I shall call adn try to be nice (till they piss me off) and discuss nicely the circumstances..

Thanks 10-95 for the advice... I will call the DPS tomorrow

Thanks all for the good avdice and thoughts...bty my GPS is a Garmin Nuvi... his name is Sid and my husband SWEARS that Sid is the only man that I listen too,,:lol2:

It should be known that not all GPS units record date/time/speed/any other info, when set in "tracking" mode. I know of quite a few that are great at logging tracks, but once you download them, all it shows is that you have been there. But no other info is passed along. Some might, but certainly not all of them can do this.

Here is what the Garmin Track log shows. As you can see from the high-lighted line it is not always exactly accurate.

GarminTrackLog.jpg

Back