• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Faulty equipment?!?

...I mean really is there some little thing going on with the popo's that they have the upper hand in being right over this and the rest of the non-star carrying folks are screwed because they do not have a radar,, or a shiny badge to back up their facts???......

<-------17 years leo experience.

Sadly, the answer is yes in most instances.

As was stated previously, it'd be interesting to see how many tickets the trooper has written in the same area and how many of them were for 79mph.

Radar's are not perfect but on straight, level ground they're considered accurate enough to use as evidence. Any angle between the radar and the target will generate a variation in the actual speed vs. detected speed.

And if the trooper was moving, he wasn't using LIDAR.

I learned early in my career that I would have sucked as a state trooper.

Traffic tickets = 90% of the job.
Accident investigation = 10%.

I sucked at writing tickets but enjoyed accident investigation. :lol2:

What is MapSource :scratch:

MapSource is the Garmin maping program that reads Garmin Maps. I have MetroGuide USA and MetroGuideNA. There is also CitySelect, TopoUSA and several others.

MapSource allows you to create waypoints and routes on your computer and then download them to your unit.

It also allows you to upload tracks to your computer.

What Model Garmin do you have?

What is MapSource :scratch:

Did you get a CDROM and USB cable with your unit? The disc would have MapSource and allows your computer to interact with the GPS unit, via the USB cable. Unless, as Bill stated, your unit doesn't have that level of operation.

I will have to look into that when I get some time!! I did call today,,, several times (their 1 line was busy);-)

So,I spoke to a really nice lady who appreciated the fact that I was not trying to argue out of my ticket.. we talked about the officer and the newfangled devices that they now have. She said the old radars were calabrated with forks?? and that she is not to sure how the new onces are however she would leave a note to talk to that officer about checking his unit... she indirectly pointed out that as he stated when he wrote my ticket,,he is not to good with electronics...So I told her that I appreciated her time and attention, and the extra grace period to get that thing paid for (gulp)...

So, for all it's worth that was our conversation :shrug:

Tuning forks are still used to verify, but most of the new units have internal diagnostics that they run to ensure proper operation.

Myself, I think this is merely fuel for wanting the new car with all the bells and whistles...including cruise control.:-P

Go to court and plead your case with the Judge. You never know what is going to happen and the cost is no more than if you pay the fine outright. I only fought one and the judge threw it out. But, I didn't go back in that parish on that bike for a long long time. ;-)

On GPSs. An interesting note is that I just had 3 GPSs on my bike in the past 4 months. Reason being > My old original Garmin 276C was getting screen fade and lines after about 6 years of faithful service through all kinds of weather and on 5 different bikes from Dual Sports (High end one was a DRZ400S ) and my present '07 1250S Bandit. So, on the Bandit I put on a speed o healer and set it to read the same as my GPS on a long straight and lever road. I sent this unit in with the required 160 bucks to Garmin's repair deal. They sent me back a refurb and it read the same as my original unit in comparison with my speedometer. I had to send it back in a couple of weeks ago after returning from a trip to Canada. Kept turning it'self on and off several times a day either hard wire connected or just batteries. 7 days later I get another one from Garmin. I notice it reads about 1 mph slower than the other two did according to my speedometer. Went to the Police station and got them to help me check it according to their radar. One mph difference also. My speedo was almost spot on with their radar.

The one ticket I got years back running an old Garmin 3 was reading the same speed as the State trooper got me for. When I saw him I looked at it and it was 73 and he cited me for 73 in a 55 zone. Course the speedo on that particular bike , '92 KLR 650 was about 7 to 8 mph off at that speed also on the high side.

#1 never ever admit to going over the speed limit. I mistakenly did this as part of a defense in a case where the "measured speed" (long story, refused to show radar...ie didn't ever have a real measure) delta was twice reality. Kangaroo courts could careless. You've been taxed.

#2 Nicely, ask him to take your gps "machine" for a ride in his care to compare. New fangled machine may distract the officer enough to forget your signature.

#1 never ever admit to going over the speed limit.

I go one even further. When asked how fast you were going never admit to an exact speed. Respond with something like "I believe I was doing the speed limit" or "I don't recall" or best is "Do I have to answer that question?".

Just never tell a bald face lie.

Don't forget, Tanya Harding was charged with Felony Obstruction of Justice for lying to the Feds about a misdemeanor assault case.

(long story, refused to show radar...ie didn't ever have a real measure) .......

In Texas, they're not required to show you the radar and if it had been me, I wouldn't have either. That would mean letting you get in my car or getting close enough to have access to things you need no access to. If I don't know you and you're not in handcuffs, you t'ain't getting in my car. ;-)

In Texas, they're not required to show you the radar and if it had been me, I wouldn't have either. That would mean letting you get in my car or getting close enough to have access to things you need no access to. If I don't know you and you're not in handcuffs, you t'ain't getting in my car. ;-)

I don't wanna get near a cop car.. no offence,, they have koodies :giveup:

If you're serious about fighting the ticket at this point, you need to get an attorney. Take him your ticket and your story, and see what he can do.

The long and short is that either way, you were cited, and these days that automatically means you're gonna spend money. Ain't the justice system awesome? So you might as well keep as much of it as possible in the private sector and get representation.

Speaking as a guy who spends almost 100 percent of his driving/riding time above the posted limit to some degree, I can tell you that there are certain situations where a traffic attorney is very much worth the price. My most recent ticket was about a year ago in my car for 90 in a 70 (would've been 100 in a 70 if I hadn't slowed as he approached), and my attorney got the fine reduced, shortened my deferred-adjudication time, and kept the ticket off my driving record without having to take a defensive driving course. Worth checking into, IMO.

Back