• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Silver City, NM

Jbay

Reaction score
Tiger wanted to go for a ride, long day from Junction

photo-7.jpg

Since you didn't rave about it, I'm assuming that you've ridden 191 before?

That's a pretty big hole in the ground at Morenci, isn't it?

ha ha so your the guy who posted the Devils Highway thread

Devils Highway

when I read your post I had to check it out, it was like the Blue Ridge Pkwy and the Dragon rolled into one

this little road was equally impressive Hwy 152 west of Hillsboro NM

google

Pretty good ride for a Slow Young Guy. That's a lot of miles in one weekend.

Hopefully it was a little cooler there.

Glad you had a good trip and back home safe and sound.

Pretty good ride for a Slow Young Guy. That's a lot of miles in one weekend.

Hopefully it was a little cooler there.

Glad you had a good trip and back home safe and sound.

I got faster :trust:

one thing on the Tiger I noticed on tight right hand turns, I was covering the rear brake and not leaning well

an easy fix with the big Tiger handle bars is to pull the right elbow in to the body (actually helps to pull the throttle and accelerate out of the turns) and keep the right foot back on peg on the ball of the foot for balance

OK im still pretty slow :lol2: I go for smooth and speed comes along by itself

now that Slow Old Guy ::rofl: not slow at all

First time I rode 152 to Silver City, we rode it at night. It was crazy. We were following a pickup pulling a trailer with 4 wheelers on it at first. He pulled over to let us go by after a while. I kind of missed the speed regulating lit up vehicle telling us which way the road was going. Not only was the road curving, but it was starting to get cold. All of this after a 600 mile day.

I have ridden it a couple times since then. It is a great road and even better when you can see the scenery!

Nice ride...

How boring is that Waco to Hobbs leg...

Thinking about that route when I head west...

You hit some good stuff Jbay. 152 is a favorite of mine, too. 191 in sections is great (I prefer the northern and middle to the more technical south part but it's all fun) but the last time I rode it there were some unfortunately placed sections where the pavement had been removed (usually in my braking zone or mid corner). Not so good for the underwear. :trust: I really like the area around Reserve, New Mexico and the area just North of Silver City (35?) where the snaky little road goes past the lake. Great quirky place to eat and stay called the Breathe Inn. Wonderful dirt riding cross the Gila, too.

As to the Waco to Hobbs....just grip it and rip it. Or put it on a trailer. Anytime of year it sucks. Just sucks worse in the summer.

Nice ride...

How boring is that Waco to Hobbs leg...

Thinking about that route when I head west...

Hwy 36 is nice, it has passing lanes on hill climbs, the worst parts of my trip were the interstates by far; Hwy 180 is boring but fast and not complicated

the City of Gail has Borden County Courthouse and old jail:

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

I love 152.

Oh yeah! I did the twisty delight on a 600 cc sport bike last year. It was one of the best times on a endless series of serpent like turns up to the interior of the Gila National Forest.

RB

OK real quick report and photos from an Iphone, wish I brought a SLR camera

Day 1: Waco to Pie Run Medina to Junction

hooked up with Austin bunch after for FM 337 and FM 335

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

stayed at The Hills in Junction, you can walk across the parking lot to Isaaks restaurant they open at 6am for steak and eggs; this is where the Texas Adventure Dual sport ride is based every year

Day 2: Junction to Guadalupe Mnts to Silver City NM

old church in Grandfalls, peeked inside it was very nice:

IMG_0247.jpg

Guadalupe Mountain National Park

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

still day 2, through El Paso and Franklin Mtn pass and then up IH 25 "Journey of the Deadman (no kidding it was terrible, hot and wind gusts and little dirt devils, traffic)

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

next time ill take the Hwy 185 and drop down from Cloudcroft

Radium Springs, is that Radiator Springs in the movie Cars?

still day 2, Percha Creek runs along NM Hwy 152, a great motorcycle road

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

it goes into the Gila National Forest and has lots of camping spots, finally felt I had gotten somewhere I wanted to be (it took awhile), very scenic

and at last to Silver City which is fairly good sized (has a Walmart etc), and you can stay here and walk across the parking lot and eat

IMG_0266-1.jpg

IMG_0265-1.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

the prime rib is highly recommended, ribeye was good, big biker hangout

Slow Old Guy mentioned this route google up to the Cliff Dwellings; maybe next time :trust:

the Coronado Trail, Devils Hwy or NM 191 was calling thanks to the Texas T post

US 180 north of Silver City:

IMG_0270-1.jpg

IMG_0269-1.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

blue Tiger posing shots, work it baby, work it :rofl:

(wish I had the SLR camera)

down to Clifton NM (not NM, AZ) which is this vast mining town and operation and is other wordly

this guy was riding and old BMW

IMG_0275.jpg

Last edited:
there are other reports on Hwy 191 like Texas T and Beemer Bobs, its about 90 miles up to Alpine NM (not NM, AZ); its more like 2 or 3 roads all in one, and goes into the Apache National Forest, there was still snow up there, saw a coyote and some deer, again very scenic and then some tight sections, no guard rail or curve warning signs :eek2:

there is an overlook at Blue Vista, a couple in a camper came over and said they would wait for me to go first so I wouldn't have to pass them, very nice

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

saw a couple of KTM 690s at a cafe in Alpine, looked like a nice town, I had to turn around and start back, great road but I took US 180 back instead of running it again, lots of long fast sweepers down hill to Silver City for lunch

Last edited:
Back