• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

14th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Got the bike ready. Well, got the easy part done, now the hard part, the bureaucracy! Gotta get it to pass an inspection and then registered and plated.

I know I won't be up there for the whole week, but I just might be able to go for a couple days. If so, I will just tent camp.

Got the bike ready. Well, got the easy part done, now the hard part, the bureaucracy! Gotta get it to pass an inspection and then registered and plated.

I know I won't be up there for the whole week, but I just might be able to go for a couple days. If so, I will just tent camp.
Looking good, Justin. I have used Valvoline for my state inspections - usually very cursory and always approved. Also, when you go the register the vehicle, be politely firm and refer to the state law/regulations which clearly allow you to register this vehicle.

The CRF250RX passed a vehicle inspection today! Step 1 of the bureaucratic nonsense is complete.

Now waiting for Step 2. I don't anticipate that I'll get a plate for the bike for a couple weeks. There's a lien on the bike, so I don't hold the physical title. The tax office emailed a request to the bank for the physical title to be mailed because it needs to be changed over to show "motorcycle" instead of "off highway vehicle" on the title. The bank needs two business days to process the request, then the title needs to take the snail mail ride to the Guadalupe County tax office. Once that's done, they have to change the title and THEN I can get a plate. All this to say that it's not going to be ready to go for the Smokey Bear ride this year.

I still have a carbureted 2009 XT250 I could take to New Mexico. How's that thing going to be at altitude? Is it worth it to even try? Otherwise, I have a Versys X300 I could ride but be limited to forest trails only.... That's all I really did last year on the KLX300 and still had a good time. Anything just to get out of this crazy Texas heat!!

The CRF250RX passed a vehicle inspection today! Step 1 of the bureaucratic nonsense is complete.

Now waiting for Step 2. I don't anticipate that I'll get a plate for the bike for a couple weeks. There's a lien on the bike, so I don't hold the physical title. The tax office emailed a request to the bank for the physical title to be mailed because it needs to be changed over to show "motorcycle" instead of "off highway vehicle" on the title. The bank needs two business days to process the request, then the title needs to take the snail mail ride to the Guadalupe County tax office. Once that's done, they have to change the title and THEN I can get a plate. All this to say that it's not going to be ready to go for the Smokey Bear ride this year.

I still have a carbureted 2009 XT250 I could take to New Mexico. How's that thing going to be at altitude? Is it worth it to even try? Otherwise, I have a Versys X300 I could ride but be limited to forest trails only.... That's all I really did last year on the KLX300 and still had a good time. Anything just to get out of this crazy Texas heat!!
Don't worry about adjusting your carb! I'm from Houston and have brought an XR100, KLX 110, 250 (2 stroke) and EXC 450 and haven't had any problems needing to adjust or re-jet. If you are bringing a non-plated bike just go online and get the NM OHV registration to CYA just in case.

Let’s go! I want to wear a fleece jacket at night…. F188D5D8-BF66-4758-B8A5-F0BB9A72AA10.jpeg

Try as I might, I will not be able to make this year's ride due to my WR250R state of readiness and in laws health issues. I am planning to go to the Cloudcroft area a few weeks later on August 6 - 13. I plan to ride the WR on paved roads as necessary, dirt forest roads preferably, and some single track as long as it doesn't get too gnarly. :flip:

I agree with T man. I have taken several carburetor equipped bikes to New Mexico and had no problems.

Who is camping and where at?
I can't be there, but the best dispersed camping I found last year was down Sunspot Hwy (about 4-5 miles from the turnoff coming from CC). Russia Canyon signage on your left is one and just past and directly across was another large gravel dispersed site. Both are free. The group sites mentioned are by reservation and you have to take the whole site. Would be a great idea with some coordination. I hate to miss this, but I think I'll be healed up enough to ride (or risk a tumble) in three more months. Have fun, amigos!

Don't worry about adjusting your carb! I'm from Houston and have brought an XR100, KLX 110, 250 (2 stroke) and EXC 450 and haven't had any problems needing to adjust or re-jet. If you are bringing a non-plated bike just go online and get the NM OHV registration to CYA just in case.
I have had the same good luck with my 4 strokes, six different ones. 2 strokes were a different thing but easily corrected. Good luck!

Need info for future trip please since you guys are very frequent travelers to CC. Last trip was on I-10 to Ft Stockton then north to CC thru Pecos etc. Really rough due to all the oil field work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Back