• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1981 Honda passport CL70 - carburetor help.

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
The kids and I just got the passport scooter back together after recoating the fuel tank and rebuilding the carburetor. It would not run for anything and after some research, I put the air mixture screw where the idle mixture screw goes and vise versa. Swapped those back where they go and she started right up.

I still have two issues. One I know is the carburetor and not sure on the other.
  1. After riding and shifting into neutral, the throttle revs up and will not come down unless you blip the throttle a few times.
  2. In first gear, you have to hold the brake to keep it from taking off as the auto clutch(centrifugal?) does not seem to hold. I'm thinking I need to bring my idle down or something else may be the issue. It also shifts into first very hard which I guess could still be too high of an idle?
Thoughts ? @gixxerjasen don't you have one of these as well?

IMG_20240726_074759008.jpg

Sounds like you have an air leak. Likely at the mixture screw. It could be at the carb to intake where the O-ring is also. You could try to gently spray carb cleaner at different locations and listen for an idle change. Another old school trick is shaving cream, spray some around the intake interface or the mixture screw. The vacuum leak will suck “foam” flat identifying your leak.

Last edited:
Is the throttle cable adjusted correctly with some slack before the slide starts to lift? Is the throttle cable routed correctly or binding anywhere? Is the slide bottoming with the throttle closed? Is the slide spring installed? Is the slide installed backwards? Is there any grit or fuel varnish preventing the slide from moving freely?

Sounds like you have an air leak. Likely at the mixture screw. It could be at the carb to intake where the O-ring is also. You could try to gently spray carb cleaner at different locations and listen for an idle change. Another old school trick is shaving cream, spray some around the intake interface or the mixture screw. The vacuum leak will suck “foam” flat identifying your leak.
You saved me a bunch of typing. Now I can just say, ditto. 👍

Thanks everyone for the pointers. I'll do some investigation this weekend.

Back