• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2022 Honda CB500X, F, and R: Twin Disks!

Reaction score
Honda updates all CB500s for 2022 and gives them twin disk brakes, upgraded suspension, and other minor tweaks.

B_342940-22ym-honda-cb500x.jpg

B_342985-22ym-honda-cbr500r.jpg

B_342888-22ym-honda-cb500f.jpg

The brakes are different from the 500F/ 500R and the 500X

500F/ R

B_342890-22ym-honda-cb500f.jpg

500X

B_342963-22ym-honda-cb500x.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing from people after they get some miles on the new models and how much weight was shaved with the new wheels and swingarm. Or if it's a wash with the new suspension. The fork upgrade should be a big deal. Hopefully the rear shock matches it well.

The upright F model looks like it checks a lot of boxes. Nice!

The upright F model looks like it checks a lot of boxes. Nice!

I wonder what the new price will be. I'm only finding 2021 bikes on Honda's website and their MSRP is $6500. If they raise the price much they'll be encroaching on MT07 territory ($7699) so hopefully they don't raise it much or at all. The 2021 CB500X at $7000 was already a bit overpriced imo.

I have always thought 500 CC is a sweet spot. Loved my Kawasaki Ninja EX 500.

I have always thought 500 CC is a sweet spot. Loved my Kawasaki Ninja EX 500.

I love my 500X. It has it's limitations but they aren't many.

Unfortunately, at todays prices they're just looking like less and less of a value. That's how I see it anyway. The CBR500 and 500F don't seem to be as in demand though and either could be a sweet economical ride on the used market. The CBR is pretty upright for a "sports" bike. I've heard a lot of people calling it a small sport touring bike and I think that's pretty cool.

I wonder what the new price will be. I'm only finding 2021 bikes on Honda's website and their MSRP is $6500. If they raise the price much they'll be encroaching on MT07 territory ($7699) so hopefully they don't raise it much or at all. The 2021 CB500X at $7000 was already a bit overpriced imo.
One French website reported that pricing will go up 100 euros. May be Honda USA will do the same?

Green is nice

CheOF0.jpg
Personally I really like the green version.

I'm surprised the bike is as heavy as it is though. when I searched for the bike's weight, it showed to be 434 pounds, but that was the 2021 version.

One French website reported that pricing will go up 100 euros. May be Honda USA will do the same?

That wouldn't be a horrible increase over current prices.

Personally I really like the green version.

I'm surprised the bike is as heavy as it is though. when I searched for the bike's weight, it showed to be 434 pounds, but that was the 2021 version.

Physically, they're big motorcycles for their engine size. They're bragging about the new lighter radiator... I wonder if it'll be backwards compatible and how much lighter it is but I suspect they only shave a couple pounds here and there and then added it back with the inverted forks.

Some of the weight is also in the tire and wheel sizes. All models shipped with a 160 series on the rear as I recall which is more than their 47 crank horsepower needs. Something like 130 or 140 and the correspondingly narrower rim would be more appropriate. Decisions like these to make them "look" like a bigger motorcycle adds weight and seems to be a theme throughout the range.

The Rally Raid wheels narrow the rear wheel to 3.5" (from 4.5" maybe?) so narrower tires can be ran. I have a 150 on the back of mine right now (got it cheap) but ideally my next tire will be a 140 or even a 130. A 150 will fit on the factory wheel though.

So the best buy, imo, for a Honda 500 series is still to find a lightly used RR level 2 bike and buy it for less than what the new models are selling for. Sadly, the days of finding a clean 3000ish dollar 500x and adding the kit seem to be well behind us at this point.

Last edited:
Models and specs are already up on the Honda UK website. Here's the link to the 500X page:

Kerb weight is listed at 199 kg or 438 pounds.

Europe also gets 3 colors. We'll probably just get one.

I love my 500X. It has it's limitations but they aren't many.

The CBR is pretty upright for a "sports" bike. I've heard a lot of people calling it a small sport touring bike and I think that's pretty cool.
I loved my CBR, and still feel sad when I think about what happened to it. I still slaver a bit when thinking about my 65-78 mpg that I would get.

The position was much more relaxed than it’s close counterparts in the RC390 and the ninja 400. I’d hesitate at taking super long trips though, just because the seat+tank+pegs was not the most comfortable combo. I definitely felt like I was trying to ride a wide bodied horse. It wasn’t bad until about 6-8 hours in, though, so it wasn’t horrible.

Interesting remarks from Asphalt and Rubber:

"Honda says it has sold 106,000 units of the half-liter CB and CBR motorcycles, since their debut in 2013.

Roughly half of those bikes sold have been the Honda CB500F, while the CBR500R accounts for 18% of sales, and the Honda CB500X is 35% of that total.

Research also shows that 45% of CB500F and 37% of CBR500R owners are new riders, with 45% and 60% respectively under the age of 34. Conversely, over 75% of CB500X owners are experienced riders."

I loved my CBR, and still feel sad when I think about what happened to it. I still slaver a bit when thinking about my 65-78 mpg that I would get.

The position was much more relaxed than it’s close counterparts in the RC390 and the ninja 400. I’d hesitate at taking super long trips though, just because the seat+tank+pegs was not the most comfortable combo. I definitely felt like I was trying to ride a wide bodied horse. It wasn’t bad until about 6-8 hours in, though, so it wasn’t horrible.

I've been thinking one would be fun ever since I got my X. Setup for sporty stuff obviously. I'm 6'2" and no bike really fits me stock so I have to modify the position of every bike I own.

I get about 53 mpg on average from my X. :trust:

Interesting remarks from Asphalt and Rubber:

Research also shows that 45% of CB500F and 37% of CBR500R owners are new riders, with 45% and 60% respectively under the age of 34. Conversely, over 75% of CB500X owners are experienced riders."

That makes sense considering how much the 500X seems to be holding value in comparison to the other two as well. The demand for the X on the used market seems really high these days.

What I'm hearing from one European I follow is the new model, despite getting new forks, has no rebound or preload adjustment. If I remember correctly my '16 midel had preload adjustment stock. It certainly does now but still no preload.

Any tuning will have to be done the old fashioned way so the fork upgrade on the new models almost seems cosmetic more than functional.

Rumor is Rally Raid is planning on developing new bits and bond for this new fork so that may put it over the top compared to the old model eventually. But hardly cost effective for a new bike of this type.

Still no updates for 2022 on the Honda website. Not sure what's going on with Honda USA. In the meantime, Japan get a white one:

1.png

Like the F version...nice. Wish this bike was a bit lighter though.

Back